1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reports of Communal scorps NOT working out?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by ShadowBlade, May 12, 2006.

1. ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade Planeswalker Old Timer

Advertisement
    Hey, I've been with spiders/tarantulas for years, but am new to scorps. So I was wondering, I'm thinking of putting 1 male and 1 female P. imperator in the same cage, (They are both about 5") and was wondering if it's worth the risk, and how often it doesn't work out!? I just want to know how often it hasn't worked out, and if there was anything to prevent the killing!

2. Cirith Ungol

Cirith Ungol Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies Old Timer

I think this question carries with it an inherent difficulty - since not everyone who has done this will be reading your post and since not everyone who has done this will be answering your post the responses you get leaning either towards one or the other will depend on the random ammount of people who'll answer.

Instead I say this: Can you afford another emp if one of them dies? If yes then it's worth it.

What happens depends also a lot on what you do and how you do it, not only the scorps. Since emps in fact are communal there are a few tricks and a few things you should remember:

Shark-tank the emp which you'll put in the other ones tank for a week or two. That way they'll both realize they're not alone and maybe they even get to know eachother a bit. That doesn't force them upon eachother emediatly.

It's not unlikely that they'll fight the first time they actually touch, but as far as I've understood it seems often to be more of a squabble over rank and size than a fight to the death, so it may just be a way of saying "Hello! Look out, I'm this big!" (Correct me if I'm wrong, somone.)

Feed them both well, but don't overfeed them in the process.

Put 2-3 hides into the tank so that they're not forced to huddle together unless they want to.

3. Ryan C.

Ryan C. Arachnoprince

I would say its fine if one of the emps is not overly aggressive, There hasn't been hardly any reports of cannibalism in emps. A lot of the time they will even share the same hide but like Cirith said put 2+ hides in the tank. When they first get introduced you will most likely have a fight, But 95% of the time it doesn't lead to death. But be careful if they continue to fight after the initial one.

4. Normski2020uk

Normski2020uk Arachnolord Old Timer

Emps are generaly aceptant of each other. The problem lies when you have had 1 Emp on his/her own for a long period of time, they become teratorial (this is not generic to Emps but a possability, and from my experiance), If you are to introduce 2 together i would do so imediatly after a tank change out/clean out. Completly reset the sub, and hides, this will destroy any teratorial claims one has, and the only thig the 2 will want to do when you put them back in is run and hide. You need to keep a close eye on them for a day or so, to see how they are reacting to each other, of course you will always get the odd psyhco anti social who will not share. As these are also proposed to be male and female do not mistake the mateing ritual for a fight. I have a male emp at the moment who will not share, he has a 20 gal tank all to his self as he trys to kill anything else i put in with him, however he did share a comunial tank for some time, i moved him out when my femal became gravid and got rid of the others, now he just likes his space. The femal lost 3 of her eyes in the fight that kicked off when i put him back in. But in general Emps will live together very happely, they will even tiolerate different species, ive had H.Spinifer and asian junglr floor scorps (cant remember their name) sharing with my Emps.

5. Brian S

Brian S ArachnoGod Old Timer

If you introduce them together at the same time to a new cage they will be fine.

6. thesupermonkey

thesupermonkey Arachnosquire Old Timer

I've run into this problem myself.
    I was originally keeping four Emps in a 20 gallon tank with 4 hides.
    All of the scorpions had been kept communally prior to me purchasing them and seemed to do just fine for more than a month. In fact they all lived in the same hide and I NEVER saw a scuffle. Later I started seeing somethings which should have tipped me off to a problem. One of the larger scorps, a female, was a completely ravenous feeder. She would stuff her face with 6,7 or more crickets at a time. I figured she needed a larger prey and began feeding her mice. This may have caused the problem. After her first mouse, I noticed she became much more pushy, grabby and moved out from their communal rock to her own tree stump. Soon after I found her killing one of my scorps. I placed a divider in the tank to seperate her from the rest until I could setup her own tank. Apparently my smaller scorp decide to visit the other side of the tank by digging himself under the divider. I found pieces of him outside of the stump and the rest of him shoved half way down her face.
    I've since seperated her from the rest and my wife bought me two more to replace the ones I lost. I have noticed recently however that the newest smaller scorp seems to be developing some similar habits. He's too small to be a threat now but I'm fairly certain he'll also need his own viv soon.

What to look for:
    Excessive eating - even though feed well and regularly.
    Grabby - easily disturbed and quick to grab anything near the hide opening.
    Excitable - quick to adapt an aggressive posture.
    Irritable - moves toward a disturbance in a tank rather than fleeing from it.
    Territorial - maintains boundries or suddenly moves out of the communal hide.

Of course these traits define every scorp-lovers dream scorp and every scorp will demonstrate these things from time to time. But be on the lookout for scorps that constantly exhibit the above characteristics.

Hope that helps,

Ps. Ending up w/ one of the above scorps isn't a bad thing... She ended up being my favorite scorp after I finally forgave her. :)

7. Scorpfanatic

Scorpfanatic Arachnoprince Old Timer

nice obsrvation there supermonkey.

i jus got my emps and they have been fair;y aggresive , like that of my spinifers... goon alet them settle for a while , maybe they ar agitated by the long shipping :/ hope things get better when they settle down.. hmm thats y i don like to feed scorpions mice. messy and i believe in making them stress and defensive, heard of a post from some one whick afte he feed a mice to his emp his emp become very defensive every time he sees something white :(