Reporting B.Smithi to CITES??

ITFighter

Arachnopeon
Hy... does anyone have any experiance on reporting to Cites that you own a B.smithi? What's the prosedure and where exactly can I report it?

tloquenehouk

Arachnopeon
As in needing a permit or permission in owning T's? Not required. (not that I know of anyways....) They'll hafta confiscate my T's over my cold dead body! LOL

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought CITES was to prevent import/export of specific wild caught species from certain countries?

tloquenehouk

Arachnopeon
oh my bad! I thought he misspelt cities and was inquiring wether he had to report his owning one!!! lol so sorry......:eek:

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
CITES stands for the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (say that fast five times!)

CITES documentation is only required for animals that are listed under the CITES Appendices (Brachypelma are Appendix II).

AND only if you are shipping those animals internationally.

They don't care about your individual pet, as long as you aren't crossing an international border with it.

CITES doesn't enforce it's laws either. Since countries (or Parties as they are called) are part of a treaty, each country uses its wildlife enforcement organization to enforce the treaty.

In the US, the laws concerning CITES species are included under the Endangered Species Act Statues. They are usually enforced by USFWS although occasionally you might have to deal with USDA, CBP, CDC or some other governmental version of the alphabet. In some states I also believe they have laws regarding CITES species. ...your mileage may vary.

In Croatia, there are several Ministries that enforce CITES. There's the Ministry of Culture (Directorate for Nature Protection Inspection), Customs Directorate of the Republic of Croatia and the Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Croatia
General Directorate (Criminal Police Directorate). These are the only ones I'm aware of, but there may be others.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about with your spiders, ...unless you plan on starting an international import/export business for your slings. :D

Last edited:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In Europe it is normal that you can proof that you Brachypelma are legal. Within the EU there is freedom of movement of persons and goods. so Brachypelma moving within the EU do not require a permit. a note of the seller declaring the animal is CB within the EU is enough. this way the spider can always be traced back to the breeder. if you import Brachypelma from outside the EU, you do need a CITES permit.

Croatia is not a full member of the EU yet. So for now i do think you need a CITES permit to import a Brachypelma into Croatia. if the Brachypelma was bred in Croatia, there is no need for a permit because you did not import the spider.

hope this helps.

Eddy