Replacing the wire screen mesh on top of Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a 5" Female H.mac that is supposed to be arriving tomorrow afternoon (joy!) and I've spent quite a bit of effort making sure her home is ready for her. I bought a large Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium and have decked it out. I like it lots, especially since I can lock the door, but I'm becoming concerned about the lid.

It's a square-patterned wire mesh. I'm not sure how big her tarsal claws are but I'm starting to become afraid that she'll get them caught on the screen. I want to replace it with something plexiglass now, only I am about the furthest thing from a handyman you are ever likely to meet.

Does anyone on here have any experience with this? I'd appreciate some tips if you could spare the time. A link to a step-by-step guide would be extra grand. :D

This species is likely to be enough of a challenge for me without the added danger of me trying to unhook her if she gets caught.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sorry no step by step guide here....but you can always cut the screen out and simply glue the plexi on top with silicon or hot glue....never delt with these terreriums because of the screen top honestly....i prefer 10 gallons on there sides....

Redapache

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Honestly I wouldn't worry to much about her getting stuck, I use those with all my Arboreals(A.Aurantiaca,P.Regalis,L.Violaceopedes,P.Cambridgei) and I've never had a problem.

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Done it. Give me a few I will post pics of my exo terras I have done.

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Start off by removing the rubber gasket. It is thermal bonded but will come off with a good tug.

Take otut the screen mesh. Some spots will also be thermal bonded but again just give it a good tug it'll give.

You can have some plexi cut or cut it yourself. I know a guy who does this for a living so I get a cut rate deal(no pun intended).

Drop it in place. For the best bond use a hot glue gun and then seal with silicone if you want high humidity. A hot glue in some spots gives you some leeway.

And your done.

Before

After

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, talk about a quick response!
Thanks so much everyone! :worship:

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am in San Antonio and will be at the show this weekend. If you come down let me know always good to meet people from the boards.

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hah! I didn't know there was a show going on. Thanks for that. I'll PM you if I can arrange to go on this short notice.