Replace screen for acrylic for GBB?

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I’ve seen many people say they don’t replace screen tops for acrylic for arboreals, and it seems that the general consensus for terrestrials is that it absolutely should be replaced.

What are everyone’s thoughts about screen replacement for acrylic for a GBB? Yeah I know they’re not arboreal, but I don’t think it’s accurate to say they’re strictly terrestrial either. I’m leaning towards just replacing it to be safe, but it enough people said ‘nah’ I might leave it.

(Not looking for discussion about how GBB’s are classified. Stay on topic people!! :D)

cold blood

Staff member
I don’t think it’s accurate to say they’re strictly terrestrial either
It is accurate. Adaptability doesn't mean they are something other than terrestrial. Its like calling a human arboreal because we are capable of building and living in tree houses....or fossorial because we can live underground....we are neither, just adaptable.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
It is accurate. Adaptability doesn't mean they are something other than terrestrial. Its like calling a human arboreal because we are capable of building and living in tree houses....or fossorial because we can live underground....we are neither, just adaptable.
Dang it... I said no GBB classification talk! ;)

But since you brought it up... in the wild do they tend to prefer living elevated whether it be in bush or tree?

My experience (a laughable N=1) is that they seem to want to be as high as they can. I could totally see them in the wild making their homes in elevated positions. At that point where they prefer to live off the ground, I would find terrestrial a hard label to swallow for them.

Of course they seem to be built like a terrestrial (and for the sake of the discussion at hand about screens vs. acrylic that would mean replace), and perhaps my particular specimen is an oddball and they normally do just putter around on the ground.

cold blood

Staff member
Dang it... I said no GBB classification talk! ;)

But since you brought it up... in the wild do they tend to prefer living elevated whether it be in bush or tree?

My experience (a laughable N=1) is that they seem to want to be as high as they can. I could totally see them in the wild making their homes in elevated positions. At that point where they prefer to live off the ground, I would find terrestrial a hard label to swallow for them.

Of course they seem to be built like a terrestrial (and for the sake of the discussion at hand about screens vs. acrylic that would mean replace), and perhaps my particular specimen is an oddball and they normally do just putter around on the ground.
sure....its convenience at times...most make holes in the ground...but when situations arent ideal, they adapt....no differrent than the OBT...Which is fossorial, but sometimes does the same.

I would switch the top to acrylic personally....but wouldnt complain if you didnt;)

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
sure....its convenience at times...most make holes in the ground...but when situations arent ideal, they adapt....no differrent than the OBT...Which is fossorial, but sometimes does the same.

I would switch the top to acrylic personally....but wouldnt complain if you didnt;)
Ah, OK... I had this belief that they were setting up shop elevated in the wild, but I guess that was wrong.

As always, good discussion. I think I’m gonna swap the lid. I went ahead and put the GBB in the new Exo-Terra but can do the swap easily enough.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I have some pictures of what my genic did to some mesh vents before she came into my care, she tore through em like they were made of tissue paper.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I have a GBB I keep terrestrially and it doesn't really go on the lid, I'd probably still put on an acrylic lid but that's my preference.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Genic’s think everything is food. I’m surprised mine hasn’t eaten its water dish.

Daesu

Arachnopeon
I have two exo-terra enclosures, one has an arboreal in it and one has a terrestrial and i have modded the screen top on both. better safe than sorry.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Can’t say anything about wild behavior, but this guy spent about 24 hrs webbing the anchor points on one side of the cage and then decided to abandon that in favor of the top corners. Out of the several GBBs I’ve had, this is the only one to do this.

He is very interesting to watch as he often sits in his web facing the ground looking exactly like an arboreal in a hunting pose.

6A137052-62E2-4B68-876B-4493D83D8662.jpeg

As for the mesh, I have one gbb with a mesh lif and she’s never had an issue. I’ve always planned to change it, just haven’t gotten around to it. All the rest have acrylic tops.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I would personally avoid screen if possible, but I know plenty of people who have no issue. Better safe than sorry imo tho.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I would personally avoid screen if possible, but I know plenty of people who have no issue. Better safe than sorry imo tho.
Yeah, agree. I went ahead and moved it into the habitat with the screen, but I’m going to replace it with acrylic as soon as I get a free day to mess with it.

Spidey82

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I have a gbb. What's the issue with mesh!? Do the spiders hurt themselves or chew through it?? I've got a mesh lid but she never seems to bother with it...for now!