removing feeder left overs

JonArachnid01

Arachnopeon
Hi. What do you actually do or how do you clean the feeder left overs (if there is) in your T's enclo if it drag its prey down in its burrow ?

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Hi. What do you actually do or how do you clean the feeder left overs (if there is) in your T's enclo if it drag its prey down in its burrow ?
Ts will usually remove boluses (prey remains) from their burrows. They like to keep their homes tidy like that. I know mine frequently drop them in their water dish. If you cannot find the bolus, do not worry too much about it. Just keep an eye out for mold growth and scoop it out if you notice any.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Your T might actually move it out and clean by itself (mine does), or move it just out enough for you to see it and pull it out with tweezers. But unless its causing mold i wouldn't even worry about it. :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Depends, is it moulding inside the burrow? How bad is it? In extreme cases it's best to get the spider out and remove all the boluses.

Most of my Ts will actually dump all their boli outside after feeding. Although once in a while some specimens will stash them deep inside the burrow. In that case have a good look, if there's a mould outbreak or something along those lines then take action. At the end of the day it's up to you to make the right judgement call.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've raised a Hysterocrates ( deep moist burrowed) from sling to adult and only removed perhaps a half dozen boli.
Point is, don't worry if they drag it down their burrow and you never see it again, chances are it's not an issue.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Absolutely nothing. Just spotted the carcass of a B.dubia that started to mold in my Megaphobema robustum enclosure. How do you think I'm supposed to remove that without basically ruin everything since said prey remain are under something like 12 inches of substrate? (I can view that from the side, it's at the bottom basically).

Simply, I can't :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My P. antinous has built a little side chamber in her burrow that she uses as a toilet/waste disposal, I can't get in there to pick out the boluses so I have springtails to do the dirty work.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It can be a problem sometimes in enclosures that are kept more humid/wet, but for dry enclosures (G. porteri for example) then there isn't much of a chance of molding. Boluses are typically the exoskeleton of what they ate-- the 'bones' even if they're on the outside instead of in.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Slings I remove remains when they finish, but if it's just cricket legs they'll eat the whole thing, smithi is pre molt so no feed needed and the Emilia chucks all the that stuff in the water

JonArachnid01

Arachnopeon
Depends, is it moulding inside the burrow? How bad is it? In extreme cases it's best to get the spider out and remove all the boluses.

Most of my Ts will actually dump all their boli outside after feeding. Although once in a while some specimens will stash them deep inside the burrow. In that case have a good look, if there's a mould outbreak or something along those lines then take action. At the end of the day it's up to you to make the right judgement call.
not actually happened to me yet. I always find small pieces of bolus at the surface of substrate and pick it up. I'm just worried what if they do not dump the food remains outside their burrow. But other than that, all good. thanks :)

JonArachnid01

Arachnopeon
Absolutely nothing. Just spotted the carcass of a B.dubia that started to mold in my Megaphobema robustum enclosure. How do you think I'm supposed to remove that without basically ruin everything since said prey remain are under something like 12 inches of substrate? (I can view that from the side, it's at the bottom basically).

Simply, I can't :)
wont it cause parasitic infestation if you dont remove boluses in their burrow ?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
wont it cause parasitic infestation if you dont remove boluses in their burrow ?
An old bolus may serve as a food source for mites (or a place for mold to grow), but most are harmless to tarantulas. However, in a dry enclosure, there should be little risk of an infestation, as mites need moisture.

In short, if I find a bolus, I remove it. If not, I don't worry about it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
There's that mold risk, yes. Plus we are talking (on my case) of a pretty 'humid' set up (Megaphobema robustum) but the only option I have is: rehouse.

And I can't nor I want that: those T's, as adults, take forever to settle again. Trust me.

It's not written in stone that, said B.dubia remain, will cause harm.

Needless to say I always remove ASAP everything... but when I can.