Relocating with Tarantulas -Question

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi everyone, I posted a thread last week to find a home for my 2 tarantulas, but I am really attached to them and have found a willing critter sitter to watch them during my month long road trip. When I get back to NC, I have to figure out how to move all my junk, 4 cats, and the 2 Ts from the East Coast to the West Coast.
I understand tarantulas "hear" through vibration. My question is, will being in a moving car for hours and hours be really uncomfortable for them? How is the best way to transport them in my car...I was thinking of putting them in small/med critter keepers with a couple inches of substrate, and placing some bubble wrap under those (or something shock-absorbing). Would it even help?
Thanks in advance for any tips!

deathfingers66

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
T's are fairly tuff,the main thing to worry about is that they aren't in direct sunlight and temps don't get too hot in your car, make sure your substrate is moist and there should be no problems, as far as vibrations my 200 T's get a regular dose of sub-woofer from my stereo, and all are thriving .....

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would research shipping pack them like you were going to ship them and just put them in the car thats my idea anyway

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I moved 8 tarantulas, 12 scorpions, 3 centipedes, and two hermit crabs in deli cups with some substrate on the bottom. I didn't use the paper towels since I was stopping every night and could give them water. No direct sunlight!

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They can take cool better than they can take extreme heat. Packing them with cold packs and keeping them out of direct sunlight, and not leaving them in the car when the AC is off would give them the best chance for survival.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When ppl ship Ts with postal service, they are not realy pampered. Just avoid hard knock, drop, direct sunlught. If you have the package with you all the time, pierce a few holes in the box for airflow!

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup, if you just have 2 T's, consider shipping them.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd pack them up like you see them offered for sale at pet expos. Deli cups just big enough for them to stretch their legs in with maybe 1" of substrate and some moss or something in there to retain some moisture and for them to like, play with. Put the cups in some light colored box with some padding around them inside the box. Keep it in a shady part of the car at all times and give them some water every few days. They're probably best off on the floor in case you have to slam on your brakes. If you feed them before you leave they'll be good for the duration of the trip.

Have a good trip!

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When ppl ship Ts with postal service, they are not realy pampered. Just avoid hard knock, drop, direct sunlught. If you have the package with you all the time, pierce a few holes in the box for airflow!
Have you read the story of the Tarantula in the fridge packed with grapes??that T made a very rough trip to end up in someones crisper drawer:eek: I am sure that you can move your T's with no problems.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a deli cup with a moist paper towel, no direct sun, if you park and go in somewhere (food, rest stop, motel) take them with you inside. Pretty durable critters all in all. good luck with the move.
Rev

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you need a small styrofoam box i have a few i can send you but they are real cheap if you just want to buy it

misfit762

Arachnopeon
I moved 18 T's from Pittsburgh, Pa to Anchorage, Ak. I drove the whole way. I kept them in their keepers, packed them in a tough box. I made sure they had water, filling their dish every morning and at night. They all are doing great, most have molted since the trip! They are tough kritters!