Reliable E. truculentus info

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So, apparently this species is fairly new to the hobby. I've found posts on this very forum (and others) from 2005-2009 saying that they are non-existent in the hobby. Now, it seems several people have them. It looks as if there has been much confusion about this species versus a cousin, the P. parvula. I can say with high confidence that I have a E. truculentus (as with so many of us, it was sold to me under the common name). There is a picture below to compare.

I've had this girl for roughly 6 months now, and through some trial and error, I've found a good husbandry routine. Basically, keep them like a GBB, though she does seem to appreciate heavily moistening one corner of the enclosure every so often. Very docile, rarely skittish, amazing eater. I would highly recommend this species to anyone, including beginners (so long as the venom is mild, more on that later). However, there is close to zero reliable info out there. I've found posts saying they max out at 2.5", and others saying 5-6". I've been told to keep very humid (which I enthusiastically disagree with), and I've been told to keep bone dry (once again, disagree).

Does anyone have any good info on this beautiful T? I'm primarily looking for the max size, because I'd like to know if I have an adult female or not. It has never molted under my care, so I can't be certain, but my money is on female just from ventral sexing. I don't even know the venom potency or info on urticating hairs. Here is what I know so far:

• Defensive, not aggressive
  • Very fast for a non-burrowing terrestrial
  • Kicks hairs occasionally, no known reaction to humans
  • No webbing whatsoever, other than for feeding
  • To be kept dry, with occasional humidity bursts
  • Completely uninterested in hiding - only uses hide when scared or eating
  • Females get to be at least 3", as this is what mine has reached

20150206_000029.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
I've had this girl for roughly 6 months now, and through some trial and error, I've found a good husbandry routine. Basically, keep them like a GBB, though she does seem to appreciate heavily moistening one corner of the enclosure every so often.

View attachment 136708
So then that would NOT be like a GBB:laugh:

NW=low venom potency and it has urticating hairs

Gorgeous t BTW!!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
When I say keep like I GBB, I mean what would be required. I'm pretty confident that I could keep her bone dry, and everything would be just fine. "Every so often" translates to once per month, roughly. I tried keeping her more humid more often, and I was getting curls out of her. With this occasional moistening, she comes out and spreads out over the wet substrate. She just doesn't want it all the time, it seems. And thanks! She's definitely one of my prettier spiders.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
I have experience with two specimens one normal and one "black" form. Both females, around 3-4"(I think this is about the max they get).
Not defensive at all, no threat poses or hair kicking but if provocked both raised their abdomens like "I'm gonna, I swear".
Skittish and quite fast indeed.
Always on the open exept when molting or if scared(they'd run into their hide but come out soon)
Somewhat picky eaters.
From my typical stupidity in handeling molts I'd say mild u-hairs(less itchy than Brachypelma spp. or LP)
After a molt really stunning Ts!
Kept both dry with a waterdish.
Both webbed the surface of their substrate on the whole tank. The "black" one was the messiest T I've worked with. Always had webbing on it's rear legs and abdomen like it never cleaned itself.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Not defensive at all, no threat poses or hair kicking but if provocked both raised their abdomens like "I'm gonna, I swear".
This literally made me laugh lol Very true

Well by your account, then I probably only have a molt or two left out of her. Hopefully you're right! I love this species, definitely one of my favorite.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
So, apparently this species is fairly new to the hobby. I've found posts on this very forum (and others) from 2005-2009 saying that they are non-existent in the hobby. Now, it seems several people have them. It looks as if there has been much confusion about this species versus a cousin, the P. parvula. I can say with high confidence that I have a E. truculentus (as with so many of us, it was sold to me under the common name). There is a picture below to compare.
Where to start....How do you know you have this species? Have you keyed it out? Exporters have no clue what they are shipping out. They throw a name on the papers and not only wrong species but wrong genera as well. I still haven't seen one of these hobby "P. scrofa" with two lateral urticating setae patches(which is an easy key to separate Phrixotrichus from Euathlus). All of them have a single patch which would point toward Euathlus.

Here's some keys for E. truculentus from the 2014 paper "The Andean tarantulas Euathlus Ausserer, 1875, Paraphysa Simon, 1892 and Phrixotrichus Simon, 1889 (Araneae: Theraphosidae): phylogenetic analysis, genera redefinition and new species descriptions" (Carlos Perafána* & Fernando Pérez-Milesa 2014)

Diagnosis
Differs from other Euathlus species by presence of few labial cupsules (<20). Male differs from other species except E. atacama, sp. Nov. by the tibial apophysis with convergent branches. Differs from E. atacama by the non-curved metatarsus I and palpal organ morphology with very flat prolateral keels and serrated PI. Female differs from other species by the shape of the spermathecae with shorter basis and spheroid chamber directed to the epigastric furrow.

EulersK said:
I've had this girl for roughly 6 months now, and through some trial and error, I've found a good husbandry routine. Basically, keep them like a GBB, though she does seem to appreciate heavily moistening one corner of the enclosure every so often. Very docile, rarely skittish, amazing eater. I would highly recommend this species to anyone, including beginners (so long as the venom is mild, more on that later). However, there is close to zero reliable info out there. I've found posts saying they max out at 2.5", and others saying 5-6". I've been told to keep very humid (which I enthusiastically disagree with), and I've been told to keep bone dry (once again, disagree).
You can disagree all you want but until you find out exactly where your spider is from to find day and night temps, wet seasons, dry seasons, etc. you are just throwing the husbandry at a dart board. But experimenting is needed when none of that info is available, the real husbandry test is to see what conditions are needed for successful breeding. Although, without knowing your species and keying out a male of the same species, pairing this spider should be avoided.

EulersK said:
I don't even know info on urticating hairs.
Both Euathlus and Phrixotrichus have type III and type IV urticating setae.

Hope this helps more than confuses. ;)

jaybee42

Arachnopeon
I've had 3 of these since Nov/Dec, slings that are approx. 1". They were sold as e. truculentus, although perhaps they are parvula... the distinction does not seem to be well-defined. Certainly out of my league to say...

They certainly seem to stay out in the open more than your average sling, one never bothered with a hide and only goes under the cork bark if disturbed, one blocked up the cork bark with dirt but abandoned it after molting, and the last one actually constructed a hide with dirt and webbing, but rarely uses it anymore after molting.

I keep all 3 dry with a small water dish, no problems whatsoever. Good eaters too, never been turned down and they are quick to pounce. They are pretty fast but only slightly skittish, so easy to care for.

No idea on size, but I have heard they only get to 3-4" (also note parvula are in this range).

E_truculentus.jpg