Rehousing tales

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Admist a lot of arguing and hot topic threads lately I figured I'd start a fun more laid back topic- I want you to tell me your rehousing stories! Be it full of accidents and runaways, or beautiful setups that took hours to make, tell me and show me!

Inspired by the far more labor intensive than it should have been rehousing of my Female T. stirmi today, flicking and stridulating up a storm as usual :rolleyes::)

Attachments

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
My first rehouse was just a couple months ago, my GBB sling. I watched a bunch of videos.... I cleared out a huge open area in my foyer... I placed both habitats in an oversized cooler... I had numerous nets and catch cups on standby...

The rehouse took all of ten seconds and went flawless.

I was like, “well that was anti-climactic.”

cold blood

Staff member
I tell ya, 99.99% of the time its juat a t walking from point a to point b. Its generally very uneventful. i dont recall ever having to chase one down or anything.

Ive had them over run the new enclosure and have to be ushered back, but still pretty uneventful.

This is often lost on newbies, as when you are new, the anticipation is often so great and filled with crazy expectations from reading "what went wrong" examples. I recall back in the day hyping myself for a re house...now its not much differrent than putting away leftovers after dinner.:eek:

Now ive had unpacking adventures where a big t flys out and up the wall, or between the shower curtains.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
My first rehouse was just a couple months ago, my GBB sling. I watched a bunch of videos.... I cleared out a huge open area in my foyer... I placed both habitats in an oversized cooler... I had numerous nets and catch cups on standby...

:rofl: Hopefully that'll be the case for most of yours in the future as well!

I tell ya, 99.99% of the time its juat a t walking from point a to point b. Its generally very uneventful. i dont recall ever having to chase one down or anything.

Ive had them over run the new enclosure and have to be ushered back, but still pretty uneventful.

This is often lost on newbies, as when you are new, the anticipation is often so great and filled with crazy expectations from reading "what went wrong" examples. I recall back in the day hyping myself for a re house...now its not much differrent than putting away leftovers after dinner.:eek:

Now ive had unpacking adventures where a big t flys out and up the wall, or between the shower curtains.
I'd wholeheartedly agree, thankfully most of the time it's pretty easy going, at worst I've had Ts sit stubborn despite any attempt to coax them into moving.

I can think of one time only for me when it wasn't, and that was with a sub adult male P. metallica panicking and sprinting underneath the table I was working on top of before I could cup him. Resulted in a bit of a messy chase but got him in sound.

cold blood

Staff member
Do tell :wideyed::lurking:
I pretty much did...lol.

Got a MM striata from @EulersK , who had warned me of his feistiness. None-the-less, I unpacked normally. As I removed the paper towel covering the hole in the container, instantly he was out, on my hand that was holding the container and jumped right between the shower curtains in a blink.

He was however, easily corralled.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have done countless rehousing of different sized individuals and I always expect the absolute worst. Unless they are spiderlings, I set up the entire bathroom - plug in the drain, all items removed off the side of the tub, shower curtain tucked away and towel at the bottom of the door.
I have only had one non anti-climactic rehousing - my two adult female C.cyaneopubescens. They both freaked out and ran laps around my bathtub. They're both over 5". I almost gave up after the first one, but I convinced myself that they second one couldn't be as bad... I was wrong. I couldn't put it off, though. They came from a home where the guy chain smoked and their enclosures were caked with cigarette residue. I pushed forward and got it done as quickly as possible.
I always expect my rehousings to be like that, even though most of them turn out like this...
_DSC8928-2.jpg

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer

This was what pairing Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus was like for me. I had so much trouble with these guys running like crazy as slings that I went in to pair loaded for bear. No problems at all. :rolleyes:

I think somewhere on the boards I told the story of losing one* last Thanksgiving.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This was what pairing Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus was like for me. I had so much trouble with these guys running like crazy as slings
I almost lost one when feeding yesterday, little bugger bolted straight up onto the rim of the enclosure as I opened it and then took a 4ft swan dive into a pair of trackies that were on the floor, luckily it was uninjured and it stayed still long enough for me to corral it into a catch cup.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Having rehoused P. irminia, P. regalis, S. calceatum, and several more without issue, the only one that's actually given me a hard time was my bugger of an N. incei GCF female. She just did NOT wanna cooperate or go where I wanted her to, always wanted to go up in the OPPOSITE direction of the new enclosure, and would go between bolting like a young racehorse to sitting there like a stubborn mule and back again. After several minutes of this, I finally got her in.

The next day she hid herself so well I thought she escaped. :embarrassed:

boina

Lady of the mites
Yeah, rehousing is usually anti-climactic... I was really nervous about rehousing my communal of 6 P. subfusca slings, so I was prepared for everything. In the shower, catch cups everywhere, small brushes, flash light, tongs, all within easy reach - I fully expected to pick little Pokies off the shower walls one by one. In the end I just had to transfer their hide with 4 of them in there into their new box, then coax the last two that were hiding in the substrate with a brush to go where I wanted them to go. Took all of 30 seconds and was extremely uneventful. Still, I'd rather be over-prepared than be cought unprepared and have a tarantula running off and hiding somewhere in my house.