SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone

I was just wondering, what size should your Tarantula be to rehouse it to
it's final adult enclosure?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well it depends on how big the tarantula will get. But generally I'll rehouse a spider into an adult enclosure when it's 3/4 of it's full size.

cold blood

Staff member
Well it depends on how big the tarantula will get. But generally I'll rehouse a spider into an adult enclosure when it's 3/4 of it's full size.
Yeah, it also depends on the species...as faster species are easier to house in larger enclosures, so you could upgrade a faster species like a Psalm or Poec for example than you might with something like an A. avic....same for terrestrials, some, like Pamphs, Phormics or Lasis to name a few, could be housed in their final enclosure at much smaller sizes than something like an Aphonopelma or Brachypelma.

There's actually multiple of variables that will determine "when".

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Think I re-housed my A avic at just under/at 2 inches into what may end up being her permanent enclosure. She webbed up, never missed a meal in there, has molted 2 (maybe 3 times) in there and is becoming quite a big girl now. This may not be the rule for all Ts. She isn't in a critter keeper -- so her size upon rehousing didn't pose an escape risk. Plus, she was a bold girl, not intimidated by larger home. Some can't handle that much room at so small a size.

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
For the more defensive and fast-growing ones I try to keep the rehousing events to a minimum, so I'll move them into their adult enclosures at the ~2" mark. That being said, given the size of the enclosures I just make sure that there's ample food items in the enclosure and that the water bowl is always filled.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As others have said, it depends on the spider. In general, I tend to house on the big side to minimize frequency of rehousing. Less stress on me and the spiders.
When I got my 1.5 inch T. stirmi sling last summer, I placed her immediately into a 10 gallon tank. She's already pushing 6 inches and I haven't had to rehouse at all, and won't for awhile. I want to keep those hairs contained. :)

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I tend to go through three homes in the life of one of my arboreals. A sling enclosure is like a 50 dram vial until they get too big, then they move to a tall soup deli. Once they get larger, I move them in to an adult enclosure. It's easier to deal with a spider in a large enclosure than a small one, and the smaller size introduced in to the adult enclosure allows the spider the most possible time to create a comfortable burrow/web, thus making them less likely to attempt bolting from their enclosure.

alexb2000

Arachnopeon
On the topic of enclosure sizes. How do you guys feel about mine for my B. Albo? For size reference, the water dish is 3 inches.

IMG_20150521_213240935.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Looks good.

That thermometer/hygrometer would be of more efficient use on the desk as a paper weight...lol.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That thermometer/hygrometer would be of more efficient use on the desk as a paper weight...lol.
I personally like adding the meters. Entirely unnecessary, but it makes everything look more sciencey and professional. That's why I also put my spiders in little eight-armed lab coats.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Lab coats might look alright on some, but it really depends on the species. For example leather jackets and a wallets on a chain suits OBTs better, I think. Maybe a tutu on an A. versicolor...a NASCAR outfit on a pokie, perhaps??

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Lab coats might look alright on some, but it really depends on the species. For example leather jackets and a wallets on a chain suits OBTs better, I think. Maybe a tutu on an A. versicolor...a NASCAR outfit on a pokie, perhaps??
Where can I buy tiny, dark sunglasses with 8 lenses?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
On the topic of enclosure sizes. How do you guys feel about mine for my B. Albo? For size reference, the water dish is 3 inches.

View attachment 136791
I'd love to house "giant" bulky terrestrial T's, like Grammostola pulchripes, Acanthoscurria geniculata, Phormictopus cancerides etc in enclosures that are large but very low in height, max 14 cm (sorry, i don't know about inches size) where, of course, a minimum of 10 cm are for the substrate.. this for avoid and reduce to nothing the possible risk in case of a fall.
Anyway is ok. I have add also a, not so big, piece of cork bark here and there and fake leaves just for, because mine loves to web :)

MissyMaguire

Arachnopeon

View attachment 136791
Awwww, thank you SO MUCH for your picture of your enclosure. I have a fish tank that I was going to use but, I didn't realize how different the two enclosures were. Crap, now I have to throw out my fish tank LOL

So, thanks for your picture. That helps a LOT <3