Rehousing hot, fast old world arboreals a fairly easy way

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
They don't really get worked up by putting a cup over them and then sliding the lid underneath or gently guiding them with a straw..
Of course. But that is assuming the spider sits still long enough to get a cup over it. The 'method' above simply provides a way to put a 'cup' over everything, so that the spider has very limited options of running around and getting worked up.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Must admit. I had to come up with a way of safely rehousing my Sicarius thomisoides (used to be terrosus). Asked my brain to do it's best and help me out......

Lol honestly I expected you to scoop it up with your hand:rofl:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Great setup for a T that'll let you guide it, I like that there's pretty much no risk its on lock.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Much more stress free for me than running the risk of chasing a large Poecilotheria around the house.

Although, I'm still not sure how methods like this would work out for giant arboreal species housed in front opening containers with a cork bark tube or other cylindrical hide. The P. ornata took up residence in a cork bark tube and I hardly ever saw it. It lived for years and died in that setup so I never had a chance to figure out how to get it out of its cork tube without access to the top of the container.
The taped piece plastic bag sounds like a great idea! Seems quick and easy and probably perfect for just about anything. The idea of possibly chasing anything with some potency around the house is what made me want to go this way. Where I live, a free roaming T is a definite no-no, so might as well take away any chance of this happening.

Maybe just cover the enclosure opening with the cardboard and have something long enough and flexible that you can work down into the tube and just try to bother the T out? I haven't had the opportunity to try with a front opening enclosure yet but would love to give it a shot one day to figure out whatever works

Of course. But that is assuming the spider sits still long enough to get a cup over it. The 'method' above simply provides a way to put a 'cup' over everything, so that the spider has very limited options of running around and getting worked up.
That was the idea of it! Basically remove all options for the T and give it one "safe zone" for it to shoot into. Easy peasy!

Yes I use that too, imho the best way!!
Awesome! I agree! It seems to work so well

Great setup for a T that'll let you guide it, I like that there's pretty much no risk its on lock.
Definitely! Any stubborn ones that don't want to be "pushed" around are usually easy enough to deal with in my experience. The cardboard cover is perfect for me when dealing with flighty, fast ones

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I think I'm going to put a similar system together to shift my tripepii female. I seem to have a real sensitivity to her hairs, and she's not afraid to kick. This way she in the hairs are on one side of the cardboard and I'm on the other. I can get into that.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
I think I'm going to put a similar system together to shift my tripepii female. I seem to have a real sensitivity to her hairs, and she's not afraid to kick. This way she in the hairs are on one side of the cardboard and I'm on the other. I can get into that.
Sounds like me with my Geniculata! Just looking at him causes me to itch... Hope this works well for you! I'm about to use it again today for my P. Muticus. Will see how well this works for a burrowing species.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Sorry for the necromancy… can anyone please describe this method to me if they remember what the pictures entailed?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry for the necromancy… can anyone please describe this method to me if they remember what the pictures entailed?
It was probably cardboard covering the opening then a bottle taped to the cardboard kinda like a fake lid with opening leading to the bottle. Holes in the bottle to use long skewers to coax the tarantula into the bottle.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Recently I entered the world of keeping any arboreals with about the hardest option one could chose (a sub adult H. Maculata). I've rehoused her twice now and the first time I used the bag method which worked but I didn't like it with a larger container. So here's what I came up with using the same sort of method I've seen on thedarkden and tomsbigspiders. The smaller holes are for whatever I use (long straw, paint brush, etc.) to direct the tarantula into the bottle which I have lined up at the corner. Get the monster in the bottle and then close off the hole behind them. Honestly it worked perfectly and my H. Mac was rehoused in about 30 seconds.

Now for a fast arboreal tarantula that is stubborn and isn't easy to get out of their hide... Well I'll cross that bridge when I get there haha! This method so far has worked well, just if anyone tries it, make sure the cardboard or whatever you use is perfectly flat and rests fully on the enclosure opening with no gaps anywhere and make sure the lid is on the water bottle before you direct the T into it. I almost had a mess on my hands that way :banghead: Also for added security, press down on the lid while working to prevent it from possibly being lifted up and the tarantula slipping out.

Anyways! Felt like sharing just in case anyone needs an idea on how to rehouse their monsters in what seems to be a safe and secure manner.

For scale, that is a 19 liter RUB.
Can't view your photos but I'm guessing you did something like I did with my P. irminia, view my photo.

It does work great. I had no problem rehousing. The cardboard I used was from Jack's Pizza 🤣

Attachments