1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rehousing hot, fast old world arboreals a fairly easy way

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Screamingreenmachine, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Screamingreenmachine

Screamingreenmachine Arachnosquire

Florida
    Advertisement
    Recently I entered the world of keeping any arboreals with about the hardest option one could chose (a sub adult H. Maculata). I've rehoused her twice now and the first time I used the bag method which worked but I didn't like it with a larger container. So here's what I came up with using the same sort of method I've seen on thedarkden and tomsbigspiders. The smaller holes are for whatever I use (long straw, paint brush, etc.) to direct the tarantula into the bottle which I have lined up at the corner. Get the monster in the bottle and then close off the hole behind them. Honestly it worked perfectly and my H. Mac was rehoused in about 30 seconds.

Now for a fast arboreal tarantula that is stubborn and isn't easy to get out of their hide... Well I'll cross that bridge when I get there haha! This method so far has worked well, just if anyone tries it, make sure the cardboard or whatever you use is perfectly flat and rests fully on the enclosure opening with no gaps anywhere and make sure the lid is on the water bottle before you direct the T into it. I almost had a mess on my hands that way :banghead: Also for added security, press down on the lid while working to prevent it from possibly being lifted up and the tarantula slipping out.

Anyways! Felt like sharing just in case anyone needs an idea on how to rehouse their monsters in what seems to be a safe and secure manner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For scale, that is a 19 liter RUB.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Creative. :) Might have to use that one day..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Screamingreenmachine

Florida
    Thanks! If you do try it, I hope it works well for you!

4. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

This looks good :) only improvement i would like to make is to get a see-through piece of something with those holes and bottle, i think. Maybe plexiglass? But that would be a bit expensive if you have to have different sizes for different enclosures. :bookworm:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Screamingreenmachine

Florida
    You know, I was actually thinking of that! I would have loved this to be a clear piece and honestly I could see it working well! And honestly you could probably make just one and use it for all! As long as it covers the entire enclosure opening, I think it would work

6. I have a few hot NWs coming so I may have to try it out tomorrow.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Venom1080

How did you close off the hole behind them once they're in the bottle?

• Like Like x 1
  8. tdark1

tdark1 Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Wow, I've always just dug them out, dealt with the aggression and cupped them... This looks very time consuming but safer... Probably the same way I'd re-house phoneutria if I had slings (although on a much smaller scale)!

Thanks for sharing a great idea!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  9. Screamingreenmachine

Florida
    Ah that's awesome! Hope it works!

Oh I just used another piece of cardboard! Like in the first picture, after she was in the bottle I just slid the other piece between the enclosure and her and closed it off. When I was done I sat a weight on the cardboard to hold the pieces together. A bit overkill but better safe than sorry!

Yeah I did that one time with my P. Muticus and decided to not go that way again :hilarious: she was a handful!

Honestly this whole thing took maybe 5 minutes to set up! Poked the holes with scissors and used a razor blade to make the main one for the tarantula

And happy to share! Always love sharing anything that might help make things easier for people!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Venom1080

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

If it worked for you fantastic.

Personally for me a small tub and a feather is simple and fast.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Screamingreenmachine

Florida
    Oh definitely! What works the best for the owner is the best option. I just don't trust my maculata at all with anything but this xD she's a monster to work with at times

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. basin79

I've never had a problem with any of my OW's. Sure I'll get the odd threat posture (absolutely understandable) but they've always let me pop a tub over them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Screamingreenmachine

Florida
    Yeah I've had no luck with mine! All of my old world's zip around and do not like me getting close to them with any sort of container.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

Sorry but if you have to do all that to catch a spider safetly.. Maybe take a few steps back and build skill set with Avics,Tappys,and then psalmos..

• Like Like x 1
  16. Screamingreenmachine

Florida
    Honestly half the fun for me is coming up with stuff like this! Engineer by trade and I absolutely love making random things that are useful in some way even if they are as simple as a piece of cardboard with a hole and a bottle. Give me a problem and I'll make an answer for it. Personally, all those you listed spark no interest in me (except for a couple psalmos) when dealing with them in person and this one was a surprise gift from my sister

• Like Like x 1
  17. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

Neat. I did something similar many years ago with an adult female Poecilotheria ornata that I got at a pet store. It was housed in a shallow long aquarium and there was no easy way to transfer it from a top opening container to the stand-on-end Kritter Keeper style container I set up. Instead of cardboard, I taped a piece of plastic trash bag over the top of the aquarium, poked holes all in it to put my paint brush through, then made a bigger hole in the middle for the 16 oz. deli cup. The plastic trash bag when taped to the top opening of the aqaurium looked very similar to the cardboard seen here. The trash bag was flexible and easy to tear when I needed more positioning with the brush. And I was able to customize the size I needed and throw it away when done. When the P. ornata was in the cup, I slid the cup to the side of the plastic trash bag, put the lid on loosely, then just put the open cup over the door of the Kritter Keeper; prodded the spider out through a hole in the bottom of the deli cup and done. The spider never had a chance to escape and it was so quick and easy to setup. Much more stress free for me than running the risk of chasing a large Poecilotheria around the house.

Although, I'm still not sure how methods like this would work out for giant arboreal species housed in front opening containers with a cork bark tube or other cylindrical hide. The P. ornata took up residence in a cork bark tube and I hardly ever saw it. It lived for years and died in that setup so I never had a chance to figure out how to get it out of its cork tube without access to the top of the container.

18. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I'm not sure about that...if this way of rehousing reduces the time you're disturbing the spider because it doesn't have the opportunity to dash all around and getting worked up, it would be worth it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. basin79

Must admit. I had to come up with a way of safely rehousing my Sicarius thomisoides (used to be terrosus). Asked my brain to do it's best and help me out......

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  20. 14pokies

14pokies Arachnoprince

They don't really get worked up by putting a cup over them and then sliding the lid underneath or gently guiding them with a straw..

• Agree Agree x 1