Rehousing Best Practices--OW Teleporters

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I think I've seen Petko line his rehouse outer bin with something along the lines of Vaseline or KY, and then powder that with baby powder to keep his ants from escaping, and also when rehousing bolty Old Worlds.

I'm rehousing that closet OBT tonight, and we're not going through that again! So does the baby powder and whatever slicky goo process work? Because that OBT came barreling out of that bin like a bat out of hell last time.

Yes, I'm going to do the rehouse in the bathroom, but I cannot get down to work out of a bathtub, and I don't think that would stop this boy anyway. What is the best way to keep bolty spiders with a successful track record of that behavior in the bin during a rehouse?

And no worries, I already have a bartenders supply of catch cups to choose from and a brand new set of good, long handled, very soft paint brushes to work with.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I think I've seen Petko line his rehouse outer bin with something along the lines of Vaseline or KY, and then powder that with baby powder to keep his ants from escaping, and also when rehousing bolty Old Worlds.

I'm rehousing that closet OBT tonight, and we're not going through that again! So does the baby powder and whatever slicky goo process work? Because that OBT came barreling out of that bin like a bat out of hell last time.

Yes, I'm going to do the rehouse in the bathroom, but I cannot get down to work out of a bathtub, and I don't think that would stop this boy anyway. What is the best way to keep bolty spiders with a successful track record of that behavior in the bin during a rehouse?

And no worries, I already have a bartenders supply of catch cups to choose from and a brand new set of good, long handled, very soft paint brushes to work with.
I think he lines the top of the ant colony bins with a mixture of rubbing alcohol and baby powder so the baby powder gets caked on the sides. I've been wanting to try it but have been hesitant since it involves rubbing alcohol. I don't want my tarantulas to get sick or anything. Seems like Petko's spiders are doing fine though, so maybe I'm just worrying too much.

Other than shove a towel under the door, I have no advice. I wish you the best of luck, hopefully everything goes smooth:shy:

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I've used olive oil around the rim for an OW sling, it seemed to work. It definitely got up to it, didn't get out, and there were no ill effects. I can't remember who mentioned it, but he said a breeder used it when he was separating slings into deli cups

I don't know if it would be effective for a mature T though, I think they might be able to get better purchase because of the larger surface area of their foot-floofs.

Could work though!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I think he lines the top of the ant colony bins with a mixture of rubbing alcohol and baby powder so the baby powder gets caked on the sides. I've been wanting to try it but have been hesitant since it involves rubbing alcohol. I don't want my tarantulas to get sick or anything. Seems like Petko's spiders are doing fine though, so maybe I'm just worrying too much.

Other than shove a towel under the door, I have no advice. I wish you the best of luck, hopefully everything goes smooth:shy:
Rubbing alcohol! That's what it was! Well I can certainly do that. Although it occurs to me I could kill two birds with one stone If instead of rubbing alcohol, I used a decent bourbon. That way I can fix myself a good stiff drink before I get started, too, which will only help to steady my hands. Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. :hungry:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Not big on using any of that other stuff. I would just do it the old fashioned way...with a catch cup and prodding tool.

When dealing with very fast/skittish specimens, doing the rehouse inside another bin or tub is smart. This gives you much more time to react and catch cup the T in the event that it bolts on you.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Prepare the area before you start. Cover cracks and holes you dont want it to go into.And provide more suitable hidings. put the enclosure inside a bigger container, and put paper rolls on the bottom . They usually bolt into the roll, and I can put it back in the enclosure. When they bolt, they are looking for a hiding place, so provide that close by.

Bananafish

Arachnopeon
i put a small portable container in my OBT's enclosure and take away his decorations. after awhile, he can be seen hiding in that container and i slowly cover it and ta'da. not sure with other OBTs though

Dovey

Arachnobaron
i put a small portable container in my OBT's enclosure and take away his decorations. after awhile, he can be seen hiding in that container and i slowly cover it and ta'da. not sure with other OBTs though
That's actually really cool leather and the first time I've heard that idea. Sort of positive reinforcement. You convince the spider to do what you want it to do because it's in its own best interest, not because it's in your best interest. Wise.

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Nice method and not just for OBTs. Thanks :p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Buried in the AB forum were some posts on people use olive oil. A member here it used it for his irminia (quite a few), they suffered no ill effects. Olive oil on the rim of the container.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I've been wanting to try it but have been hesitant since it involves rubbing alcohol
I doubt that's going to be an issue. The thing about alcohol is that it evaporates quite quickly. If you apply the alcohol/baby powder mixture in advance and let it dry, their will be no trace left of the alcohol. Of course, I would advise against preparing the walls of your work area only 5 minutes before you start the rehouse.

If instead of rubbing alcohol, I used a decent bourbon
That's alcohol abuse. You should drink any decent liquor instead of applying it to container walls :troll: