Rehouse for P. Irminia?

Rehouse or keep it in its current enclosure?

• Rehouse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Niko77

Arachnopeon
So this is sort of an update on my P Irminia (Venezuelan Suntiger) which is suspected to have parasitic mites. I posted the original thread about two weeks ago but couldn’t reply since I had a little emergency.

However, since rehousing it from its temporary enclosure (shown in pictures) its made a nice dirt curtain behind a piece of cork bark in a new terrarium however I noticed a lot of mould right underneath the T. This and the fact that I was told to change substrate frequently due to the mites has made me consider rehousing it into a smaller more manageable enclosure but I’m really unsure with what to do as I’ve never had an unhealthy T. :(

Any help isn’t appreciated many thanks.

Attachments

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Mold and mites both require moisture in the substrate to flourish. Your P. irminia will be ok with a short dry period so the mold can run its course and die. Fungus and mites are everywhere in the world, especially in 'the wild.' They do not constitute emergency situations in captivity, nor extreme measures for prevention. Make sure your spider has a water dish, make sure ventilation is good, and let the sub dry out for a bit.

boina

Lady of the mites
I was told to change substrate frequently due to the mites
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Mites are harmless. Mites are harmless! Mites are harmless!!!! There is absolutely no way your tarantula had parasitic mites.

Whoever told you that has no idea what he/she is talking about. Do not change substrate due to mites - not once and certainly not more often. If you do it you will very needlessly severly stress your tarantula to the point of harming it and achieve absolutely nothing.

Leave your poor tarantula be!

And do yourself and more importantly your tarantula a favor and read this.
This was written by a biologist who actually works about mites and really knows what he's talking about.

I think I can remember your previous thread. People explained to you that you did not have parasitic mites and mites are harmless but you chose to believe the clueless. Why????