1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regarding springtails

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by arachnodad93, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    Hey guys! (sorry if this isn't in the right thread) but what are some of your opinions on using spring tails as tank janitors???

2. Ian Brush

Ian Brush Arachnopeon

Utah
    This thread is fine. What animal(s) will you be housing them with?

3. I would be housing them with a chaco golden knee T, asian forest scorp, madagascar hissers, and potentially a flat rock scorp

4. Ian Brush

Ian Brush Arachnopeon

Utah
    Those scorpions would really benefit from a small group of springtails in their enclosures. Springtails are great because they help to fight mold through breaking down left overs that your animals don't process as well as their waste matter. I personally use 10-15 springtails in all of my arboreal T enclosures because the little guys will die without a good amount of humidity. As for the G. pulrchripes I would leave them out of it's enclosure since they would just die from lack of humidity. And those hissers, if you need a clean up crew for them, I would get little colony of Alphitobius diaperinus (Buffalo beetles, lesser mealworms) I house them will all my roach colonies and they help to fight mold and waster build up without harming any of the patrons.

5. Rob1985

Rob1985 This user has no status. Old Timer

Springtails are great and easy to care for! All you really need is some charcoal, water and yeast and they will multiply very quickly! I use springtails with almost every single T, and will start using them with my roach colony soon, but I don't use substrate with my roaches so I have figure out how that will work.

6. I guess I should clarify on my hissing cockroaches. I have 2 third instars, I have them as pets more than the intentions of starting a colony of them. I was thinking if I was gonna attempt raising some tank janitors I would throw some substrate in with the crickets I get and house them that way, I could just up the humidity. So I'm guessing that trying to house them with my flat rock scorp wouldn't work out great since it likes more arid conditions.