Regarding species that make hammock sacs

14pokies

Arachnoprince
How do species that lay hammock sacs keep the eggs from sticking together and clumping up.. Does the female massage them possibly or is there an evolutionary adaptation that makes them require little to no care from the female apart from protection?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have always wondered this too. Rarely find bad eggs in Harpactirinae sacs

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have had a few hanmocks laid above ground and havent seen them being manipulated in any way or moved position.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have had a few hanmocks laid above ground and havent seen them being manipulated in any way or moved position.
Same here, currently I have an H.mac sac that's visible, and while the female is sitting on it she doesn't seem to be manipulating it in any way.

cold blood

Staff member
As far as i can tell mom doesnt do anything aside from laying across it... which i always assumed was protection.

Theyre not rolled or manipulated...my guess is the fluids arent as prone to becoming sticky....just my guess though.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
As far as i can tell mom doesnt do anything aside from laying across it... which i always assumed was protection.

Theyre not rolled or manipulated...my guess is the fluids arent as prone to becoming sticky....just my guess though.
Yup same obaervations on this end.. I also figured it's just something to do with birthing fluids(or whatever you would call them). It's just a guess though..

For all we know maybe the females of species that hang hammocks cover the eggs with a fluid that prevents them from sticking and going bad. Someone knows but not us. Lol

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
The purpose is in the name. Hammocks are for mom to lie on. The how and why are above my pay grade.
I'll be pulling a sac tomorrow and I actually feel kinda guilty. My girl has been lounging on it every time I look and now she'll need to make a new bed.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Not all go perfectly... 10 sad eggs in that sac but to be fair I think their siblings may be responsible lol.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
So a related question..Since females don't really tend to the sac ( as far as we can tell) other than guarding it, is there really any reason to leave them in the enclosure with it?

It would reduce the risk of the female eating the sac, and the female could resume feeding much sooner. It's kind of a win win, yet every one I know that breeds leaves the mom in with the sac for around 30 days.