Redone Asian Forest Scorpion Terrarium!

MES

Arachnosquire
I just wanted to share some pictures of a terrarium that I rearranged yesterday, it houses my female Asian Forest Scorpion. I'm pretty happy with it, but I feel like something's missing. Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks! DSC_0339.JPG DSC_0338.JPG

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Looks nice. Orchid-ish is a nice touch. I'm wondering how settled in and comfy she will feel without a nice deep burrow. Their holes/burrowing is usually about 4" to 6" down which they use as temperature and humidity regulators.

MES

Arachnosquire
Looks nice. Orchid-ish is a nice touch. I'm wondering how settled in and comfy she will feel without a nice deep burrow. Their holes/burrowing is usually about 4" to 6" down which they use as temperature and humidity regulators.
Thanks!
Per your suggestion, I was going to fix the hide depth, but she actually dug a deeper burrow this morning, that will hopefully work better for her! (She ruined the set-up though, haha, but that's why the terrarium is there for anyway. )

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It doing the bulldozer-excavator thing? To me, scorps are deceptive. They seem to walk about so daintily. But in reality as in the detritus zone that's a high traction all wheel drive engine with heavy duty demolition equipment attached. From observation, the forest scorps here, spinifer, laoticus, longimanus and petersii, would rather blast their way through the leaf mold and compost than surface and expose themselves to night predators.

BTW, I've been desperately trying to come up with a rough rule of thumb to tell those four apart. Any suggestions? Which one looks black but is really deep dark blue-green?

Last edited:

MES

Arachnosquire
It doing the bulldozer-excavator thing? To me, scorps are deceptive. They seem to walk about so daintily. But in reality as in the detritus zone that's a high traction all wheel drive engine with heavy duty demolition equipment attached. From observation, the forest scorps here, spinifer, laoticus, longimanus and petersii, would rather blast their way through the leaf mold and compost than surface and expose themselves to night predators.

BTW, I've been desperately trying to come up with a rough rule of thumb to tell those four apart. Any suggestions? Which one looks black but is really deep dark blue-green?
Yeah, it's anoying at times, but awesome to see as well!
Honestly, I have trouble telling them apart too. I don't think H. petersii is blueish (they're more brown), so that's as much as I can tell you, sorry!
@Collin Clary said this on another one of my posts though, it was super helpful:

"There are four species of Heterometrus in the hobby that look extremely similar to each other (though H. petersii is by far the most common).

H. petersii and H. laoticus have dark telsons, rounder chela, and dorsal keels on the 5th metasomal segment that consist of relatively minute granules, while H. spinifer and H. longimanus usually have telsons that are lighter than their metasomas (usually red in adults, and various shades ofyellow/orange as juveniles), narrower chela, and dorsal keels on the 5th metasomal segment that consist of relatively large, pointed granules.

H. petersii
and H. laoticus can be distinguished from each other in that H. petersii has granulation on the carapace and tergites while H. laoticus is totally devoid of any granulation, and H. petersii shows sexual dimorphism in that males have an enlarged tooth on the movable finger of the chela. Both species have a pectine tooth count of 15-19 in both sexes.

H. spinifer and H. longimanus can be distinguished from each other in that H. spinifer has a pectine tooth count of 15-19 in both sexes, while H. longimanus has a pectine tooth count of 12-18 in both sexes. Sexual dimorphism in proportions of pedipalps in H. spinifer is not noticable, with chela slightly lobiform and a length to width ratio of 2.4-2.6 in both sexes. In H. longimanus on the other hand, the chela, patella, and femur of the pedipalps in males are narrower and more elongate than in females. Chela not lobiform in male, slightly lobiform in female. Length to width ratio of chela 3.3-4.4 in males, roughly 2.4 in females.

Females of H. spinifer and H. longimanus are nearly indistinguishable from each other. Some small differences are that in H. spinifer the manus has smooth carinae forming irregular reticulations, while the manus of H. longimanus is sparsely tuberculate, and that while both species usually have the carapace with disc smooth and margins granulate, sometimes in H.longimanus the entire surface is granulate."
Hope this can help!

Leelo

Arachnopeon
That truly looks amazing! I've just got my scorpion (h. petersii) and would love to do something along these lines. Would you mind listing the plants you've used in there? Struggling on what thrives in such areas, really love the whole look of yours though im sure its soon destroyed ;) Also how big is this setup? Sorry for all the questions!

MES

Arachnosquire
That truly looks amazing! I've just got my scorpion (h. petersii) and would love to do something along these lines. Would you mind listing the plants you've used in there? Struggling on what thrives in such areas, really love the whole look of yours though im sure its soon destroyed ;) Also how big is this setup? Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks, I'm glad you like it! No worries at all for the questions, and congrats in the scorpion!
The tank is 10 gallons, but you could easily use a smaller one and your scorpion would be fine
I actually used fake plants in there! They're a lot easier to take care of and move. From the craft store (Hobby Lobby), I got those small ferns, the orchid, and those little pink and white flowers. The only live plant I used is the sphagnum moss, but it's dried, so not really alive anymore! You can find moss at a local pet store pretty easily, I got mine at Petco.
I collected the wood piece when I was camping, but you can buy/find a piece of driftwood that would work great. They're sold at most pet stores, especially fish supply stores.
I bought a large half-log and the corner water dish from Petco. You can find either one almost anywhere.
For the substrate, I mainly used EcoEarth coconut fiber, and added walnut shell sand for accents. These are both easily found.
I also used a polished geode and an amethyst crystal to make it more interesting. These were easier for me to find because I collect them, but you can try to find them online or in a rock shop. I also used some gravel pieces to add interest.
The only advice I can really give is to slope the substrate or something like that, it looks much better if it's not just flat.
I got a LOT of my ideas from the YouTube channel Serpa Design, so I would check him out to get some better advice!;)
Good luck, I hope this is helpful! Make sure to post a picture of the finished product!
PS - here's an updated version of the terrarium, I changed some stuff, I like it much better!
DSC_0344_1.JPG DSC_0345.JPG

Leelo

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I'm glad you like it! No worries at all for the questions, and congrats in the scorpion!
The tank is 10 gallons, but you could easily use a smaller one and your scorpion would be fine
I actually used fake plants in there! They're a lot easier to take care of and move. From the craft store (Hobby Lobby), I got those small ferns, the orchid, and those little pink and white flowers. The only live plant I used is the sphagnum moss, but it's dried, so not really alive anymore! You can find moss at a local pet store pretty easily, I got mine at Petco.
I collected the wood piece when I was camping, but you can buy/find a piece of driftwood that would work great. They're sold at most pet stores, especially fish supply stores.
I bought a large half-log and the corner water dish from Petco. You can find either one almost anywhere.
For the substrate, I mainly used EcoEarth coconut fiber, and added walnut shell sand for accents. These are both easily found.
I also used a polished geode and an amethyst crystal to make it more interesting. These were easier for me to find because I collect them, but you can try to find them online or in a rock shop. I also used some gravel pieces to add interest.
The only advice I can really give is to slope the substrate or something like that, it looks much better if it's not just flat.
I got a LOT of my ideas from the YouTube channel Serpa Design, so I would check him out to get some better advice!;)
Good luck, I hope this is helpful! Make sure to post a picture of the finished product!
PS - here's an updated version of the terrarium, I changed some stuff, I like it much better!
View attachment 297045 View attachment 297046
Thanks for the in-depth reply it’s really helped! Wow yeah, those plants look super realistic too on the images so that’s worked out great & I see what you mean with the slope, it looks so much more natural and “ real “. Thanks, I’ll check it out!

MES

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the in-depth reply it’s really helped! Wow yeah, those plants look super realistic too on the images so that’s worked out great & I see what you mean with the slope, it looks so much more natural and “ real “. Thanks, I’ll check it out!
You're welcome! Hope it turns out good for you!

StampFan

Arachnodemon
View attachment 297045 View attachment 297046
Are you worried at all about the walnut shell molding in a humid enclosure? I've read that's the downside of this stuff.....

MES

Arachnosquire
Are you worried at all about the walnut shell molding in a humid enclosure? I've read that's the downside of this stuff.....
I didn't think about it, but it is a possibility. So far, though, it hasn't molded for me. A better option would probably be play sand, or other terrarium sand.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I didn't think about it, but it is a possibility. So far, though, it hasn't molded for me. A better option would probably be play sand, or other terrarium sand.
Please report back and let me know if it holds up, I'm using it for 2 dry enclosures (sand spider, skink).

CamoRhino

Arachnopeon
I con only suggest putting on a background. I feel that it could give the hide something to contrast against. Also, items against an opaque bacjground provide additional hides so it has more options.

MES

Arachnosquire
I con only suggest putting on a background. I feel that it could give the hide something to contrast against. Also, items against an opaque bacjground provide additional hides so it has more options.
That's a good idea, thanks! Also, @StampFan, the walnut shell sand has held up great so far, no mold or anything! I also use it in a blend for my Giant Desert Hairy scorpion and he loves it. Only criticism is that it isn't great for burrowing, it is too loose.