"Red Trapdoor Spider" questions

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Hey there, I recently (15mins ago to be exact) acquired a Red Trapdoor Spider in a sort of bundle deal, and naturally I have some questions regarding care and such. I did find some care sheets and things, but I wasn't sure how accurate they were.
First thing: what is the scientific name? I only found Antrodiaetus spp. Wasn't sure if it was the same spider.
Second: I own tarantulas, is the care similar? As in, coco fiber substrate, higher temps and humidity, and a water dish.
Third: How big of an enclosure should I get? Do they like bigger sizes or smaller sizes?

I attached some pictures, does the spider look healthy? Also, how close to maturity if you had to estimate?

P_20141207_115641.jpg
P_20141207_115630.jpg
P_20141207_115604.jpg

Sorry to sound like an absolute idiot, I want to take good care of the little guy. Thanks!

FaaFaa

Arachnopeon
Nice score! I would love to get my hands on one of these!

For care, you want a nice tall enclosure with lots of substrate so your new friend can make tunnels. (and of course it's famous trapdoor entrance!)

Throw it an appropriately sized cricket once or twice a week. Don't forget to mist too.

I hope this helps you.

Please, can you make sure to share pictures from time to time? I want to see with this little one does. :)

Good luck!

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Well I've settled her into a cylinder type enclosure, so she has all the room to burrow she needs. Also, pretty positive she's a she :)

Ambly

Arachnobaron
Good looking spider. Antrodiaetus is a US genera of folding trapdoor I believe. This is an african species I think, Ctenolophus or Gorgyrella.

I have one black african species, which eventually settled into cocofiber mixed with some soil... but it took a long time to eventually build a burrow it was happy with.

I now keep all my trapdoors in a more loamy clay like substrate mixed with a little cocofiber for fluffiness. Sadly, there's never much info on our non-native trapdoors, so I cannot positively say what substrate they prefer... but I can say every single trapdoor I've had since, mostly US species, has benefited from that substrate. They collect it and ball it up, then throw it out. Cocofiber, even when wet, just doesn't hold that way and they seem to have trouble. If it doesn't home itself or comes back out, maybe try another substrate. Good luck:)

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the help! She hasn't made a burrow yet (
More of a cocoon type thing) but she has eaten so yay for that :)

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Does anyone know if these are being captive bred? I never see youngins for sale.

Also, I used coco fiber with some luck but it really needs to be packed down really well and water needs to be applied a little more often. I never tried any other substrate though. The one I had built a beautiful tunnel with eco earth.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone know if these are being captive bred? I never see youngins for sale.

Also, I used coco fiber with some luck but it really needs to be packed down really well and water needs to be applied a little more often. I never tried any other substrate though. The one I had built a beautiful tunnel with eco earth.
Do you mean the red trapdoors? Yes they are but they're a bit hard to find right now it seems. Reptiles n' critters had some a while back, but they're all sold out now.

Epicus Maximus

Arachnopeon
As Ambly said, Antrodiaetids are mainly found in the US and Japan, and are actually viewed as some of the most basal (primitive) mygalomorphs. They are also much smaller than this spider at full size and range from tan to dark brown, not reddish brown. For a possible genus, I would guesstimate Stasimopus, perhaps robertsi?