Red Trapdoor not burrowing

ZBB466

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I recently aquired a red trapdoor spider from Ken the Bug Guy and have had it for about 4 days. It has yet to make any attempt at using my premade burrow or developing its own. Has anyone run into this problem or knows what might be the cause?

Thanks

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Honestly I would say it's still getting used to his new home. Just give it more time. What are you keeping it in, how much substrate?

ZBB466

Arachnopeon
Its in about a 7"x3"x10" container with about 7" of substrate. Right after I posted, and I went and looked around the forums and some people say it takes up to 3 weeks for them to burrow so I won't worry again unless she has done nothing for a month.

Thanks for the reply!

Ambly

Arachnobaron
what kind of substrate? Do not go straight peat moss. Find out the genera/species if you can, read in to where they come from and mimic that. A lot of trapdoors here die because they're put in loose peat and are simply unable to construct a proper burrow, which is their entire environment.

I know nothing about the red trapdoors - does anyone here?

---------- Post added 02-24-2015 at 11:48 AM ----------

that being said, the older/bigger trapdoors definitely do take longer. I wouldn't be worried unless it takes several weeks, but if it's currently on the surface... now may be a good time to rehome if you think your substrate may be improper. Like I said, no expert on trapdoors nor any info on the species, but I think you'll have best luck enjoying yours with some insight as to what it is and how it lives.

ZBB466

Arachnopeon
So, she has finally burrowed and has had her lid complete for about 4-5 days. Next question if anyone knows, how long should I let her settle in there before attempting a feeding? Thanks for the responses so far!

Vinegaroonie

Arachnoknight
I fed mine about a week after she burrowed, but I think she could have taken it sooner. I don't know if this was wrong, but in any case she's doing fine now. I don't know a ton about trapdoors, though, so I would wait for someone who knows more ;)