Red spotted assassin bugs.

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone keep these? I am getting 8 nymphs next week, and was wondering are they kept the same as Yellow spotteds, and should i keep the nymphs communally, or seperate?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i even keep the red and yellowspotted together.

basicly to my experience the red-spotted ones have a bigger appetite then the yellowspotted ones ;)

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you have any pictures steven, particularly of the enclosure (need ideas!!)?

Thanks

Lee

MacCleod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep these critters as well :)
I'm working on a new "assassin - tank", and will post pictures soon.

For the moment I keep them in a "critter keeper", and they are doing fine....but my red spotted colony is growing, so I 'm gonna move them to a bigger tank :)

James M.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would like to see a pic too. So I can see what thay look like. The name sounds interesting, Assasin,Ohhh!
Hope to see some pics soon.

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Red spotted assassin bugs

We're currently rearing assassins of three different species.
We have all different generations and have been breeding assassins for years.

While generally communal, young will consume others if the others are molting or have recently molted and food is hard to get too. With eight your losses should be acceptable but if you want 100% survival it is little work and expensive to package them separately.

Try buying some of the plastic hardware cloth recently sold in hardware stores. Get a tall deli cup. Cut out a piece of the hardware cloth, roll it up, and stick it in the tall deli cup. It'll unroll and make a great climbing area all around the perimeter. Put a bit of potting soil in the center. If you can't find plastic hardware cloth substitute window screen.

You can do the same with a tiny piece of screen in a tiny container.

Keep food items abundant to minimize predation on other assassins. Older assassins rarely prey upon each other at all.

Contrary to what has been reported here it is not advisable to keep species in the same genus together as it is not known whether they can cross breed. Cross breeding and releasing to market would destroy carefully maintained bloodlines and destroy the species as we know them.

Cheers.

MacCleod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
James M. said:
I would like to see a pic too. So I can see what thay look like. The name sounds interesting, Assasin,Ohhh!
Hope to see some pics soon.
Here you go James....
The first 2 pics are red spotted assassins.

This is a white spotted assassin

And this is the new tank where I keep my red spotted killers :) I might add some more plants in the near future.

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Every time i manage to talk myself out of getting some of those, someone goes and post some new pictures.

biznacho