Red Knee or Red Rump

Duke911

Arachnopeon
Hey guys so I'm new to tarantulas I've kept several mantids before but am looking to get my first tarantula. I was trying to decide between a red knee tarantula or a red rump. I would really like some opinions!!! Thanks

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think Brachypelma vagans would be a better first tarantula, because they will actually grow at a reasonable pace. B. hamorii could test your patience.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Well..Welcome to the T universe,and you need to use scientific names here.
Otherwise.....mayhem and confusion.Red Knee,Red Toe.Red Rump, Red Haired,Red Legged
Red Headed...In regards to T,s,it really does matter.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
B. vagans is a bit more skittish than the B. hamorii. But it I prefer B. vagans since they are faster growers and better eaters than the B. hamorii. The B. hamorii is a slower growing species, which can take a while on growth. But the B. hamorii are more calm and less skittish than the B. vagans. Can't really go wrong with either of them. But I still prefer the B. vagans.

cold blood

Staff member
Not sure if it matters to the OP, but vagans is 3-4 times cheaper as well.

Both make good firsts....hamorii is the calmer of the two, vagans can be quite skittish.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Go for the B. vagans, as a beginner you would enjoy more if you see your T getting bigger at a more reasonable pace. B vagans is my first T as well.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those are good tarantulas! I personally prefers B vagans over B harmorii! But my favourite in the genus is B albopilosum! That may also be an option for you!?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
B. vagans are nice little Ts... we have a handful of them at my partner's request and I have grown to like them quite a bit!

Duke911

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the replys they were very helpful!!! I went with the B. Vagans I got an adult female that is about 2 years old and very pretty and relaxed!!!!!!!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for the replys they were very helpful!!! I went with the B. Vagans I got an adult female that is about 2 years old and very pretty and relaxed!!!!!!!
Just a note, unless the person you purchased her from hatched her out there is no way to know her age. Ts grow at different rates depending on several different factors, including temperature and feeding. So, we measure Ts in leg span and life stages (sling, juvie, adult) :) Congratulations on your new T!! Feel free to post a photo of her enclosure to ensure it is perfect!