Red- Backed Jumping Spider? Not sure

wolseley

Arachnopeon
I took a photo of what I think is a Red Backed Jumping Spider. I am not so sure as it is really hairy and not really black.

Any ideas on the species?

Thanks,

Tim 20171009_174101.jpg

wolseley

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I think you are correct, it is very likely a Phidippus workmani. There does not seem to be much about the Workman's Jumping Spider online. I did manage to find out that it seems to be specific to Florida and south Georgia. If true, I live in California, what is it doing here? also, I found it on my car tire while getting gas. No worries, he survived. I gently put him/her into my hand and walked to the nearby open space and let him go under some bushes.

Where can I find more information on this species online?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Workmani doesnt occur in california and is endemic to florida.

Looks like a female P johnsoni, def not californicus. Not all johnsoni are jet-black and bright red, many are a dull brick red or even yellow.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I had one of these appear in my garage Crim is currently still with me, has molted and is all black now... I originally had settled on Cardinalis. Now I am extremely confused. Not currently sure if female or male, Crim is still being more reclusive currently since he/she just came out of the molt hammock. If whatever Crim is gender-wise turns out to be Johnsoni I hope to find the correct gendered mate during next year. But Johnsoni are more rare in my area.