Red ants attack

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
I had a cricket culture with a population of around 300. I also has a 4 inch scolopendra subspinipes. In Hawaii red ants are invading. I came home today to find my whole cricket colony dead and my subspinipes dead. A carpet of ants covering everything.

Please remember to check everything you buy, especially imported things like plants. These ants most likely came from a neighboring house that bought new plants for landscaping.

Lucky the ants did not get to my 3 other pedes. All of my pedes are safe. They are on a table with vaseline and baby powder covering the legs.

If you have ants here are a few tips to kill them with minimal effort. Ants communicate through a pheromone trail. Use a rubbing alchohol and a few drops of dish soap to kill the ants and clean the pheromones. If you kill them and do not remove the pheromones they will come back.

If they keep coming back then use the aforementioned technique to protect your precious pedes... It is a sad day

Jororo

Arachnopeon
Ants are one of my biggest fears. Luckily here in New York they seem to be a minimal issue. Our home does get them sometimes in the summer, but they stay in the kitchen

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Came home one night several years ago to find that ants had invaded my animal room. They'd taken over a number of cages, killed a few animals including a Scolopendra heros. They were in cages with some of my tarantulas too (OBTs). I was up late into the night waging war on the ants - had to take the OBTs out of their cages and use small brushes to remove the ants from the tarantulas. First (and only) time I've ever had OBTs passively allowing me to handle them - they were probably grateful for the help in getting the ants off them. Since then I've kept ant bait traps in strategic locations in the room and watched carefully for "scout ants", especially during the warm dry seasons.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Ants are one of my biggest fears. Luckily here in New York they seem to be a minimal issue. Our home does get them sometimes in the summer, but they stay in the kitchen
Lucky, there are at least 6 ant species now around my house... they war often in my backyard.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Came home one night several years ago to find that ants had invaded my animal room. They'd taken over a number of cages, killed a few animals including a Scolopendra heros. They were in cages with some of my tarantulas too (OBTs). I was up late into the night waging war on the ants - had to take the OBTs out of their cages and use small brushes to remove the ants from the tarantulas. First (and only) time I've ever had OBTs passively allowing me to handle them - they were probably grateful for the help in getting the ants off them. Since then I've kept ant bait traps in strategic locations in the room and watched carefully for "scout ants", especially during the warm dry seasons.
That is very unfortunate. I put ant traps around everything now and sprayed alchohol with soap. So far it seems like I killed off a whole colony.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I had a cricket culture with a population of around 300. I also has a 4 inch scolopendra subspinipes. In Hawaii red ants are invading. I came home today to find my whole cricket colony dead and my subspinipes dead. A carpet of ants covering everything.

Please remember to check everything you buy, especially imported things like plants. These ants most likely came from a neighboring house that bought new plants for landscaping.

Lucky the ants did not get to my 3 other pedes. All of my pedes are safe. They are on a table with vaseline and baby powder covering the legs.

If you have ants here are a few tips to kill them with minimal effort. Ants communicate through a pheromone trail. Use a rubbing alchohol and a few drops of dish soap to kill the ants and clean the pheromones. If you kill them and do not remove the pheromones they will come back.

If they keep coming back then use the aforementioned technique to protect your precious pedes... It is a sad day
Sorry about your losses but glad to hear the ants didn't kill them all.