Recommended enclosure sizes.

BZeni

Arachnopeon
Hello T lovers! I'm new here and kinda new to keeping T's. Been at it for about 2 years and I have 4 now. Just adopted 2 new ones yesterday actually! I'll apologize now as I'm sure it's been discussed before but in my searching I haven't found the info I'm looking for. I'm hoping all of you wise experienced keepers will share you knowledge with me! My question is recommended enclosure size for my 4 different species. All but one are sub adult and close to full grown. So I'm looking for size recommendations for their permanent adult homes. Heres the list of my T's and thanks for the help!

C. Cyaneopubescens
L. Parahybana
A. Avic
B. Emilia

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I’ve heard that 3 times the length of the spider by 2 times the width is all that’s necessary but I’d definitely go bigger.
The avic should have a taller inclosure. It could live as an adult in a one gallon plastic container (Walmart should sell them)
Also it’s not recommend to have a tank that’s taller then like 2 times a terrestrials length. So if the spider is 5” it shouldn’t be more than 10” tall.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I’ve heard that 3 times the length of the spider by 2 times the width is all that’s necessary but I’d definitely go bigger.
The avic should have a taller inclosure. It could live as an adult in a one gallon plastic container (Walmart should sell them)
Also it’s not recommend to have a tank that’s taller then like 2 times a terrestrials length. So if the spider is 5” it shouldn’t be more than 10” tall.
A small part of that statement needs a little adjustment: many recommend the space be no more than 1.5x the legspan of the tarantula rather than 2x.

BZeni

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys! I have a 20 long I'm thinking of putting my LP in and I've been looking at a 10x10x16 enclosure for the Avic.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thanks guys! I have a 20 long I'm thinking of putting my LP in and I've been looking at a 10x10x16 enclosure for the Avic.
Thats a lot of space even for an AF, make sure she has a good hide. The lid cant be screen too, they can get stuck in it...acrylic with vent holes is your best bet.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
AF _ adult female. The lid can be mesh you just need to create a way of allowing her to climb down if stuck, some do this by creating layers/floors all the way to the top. Looks more interesting too but takes more work

Last edited: