Recommended Cameras?

Gilberator

Arachnosquire
Good Morning everyone!!!!! :)
I was looking at the galleries trying to find a pic or two with camera info that I liked but couldn't really find it. I want to get a camera that will capture Ts well. Im not looking to spend an arm and a leg but I don't want some piece of crap either. Any suggestions would be splendid! :laugh:

Snakeguy101

Arachnopeon
Good Morning everyone!!!!! :)
I was looking at the galleries trying to find a pic or two with camera info that I liked but couldn't really find it. I want to get a camera that will capture Ts well. Im not looking to spend an arm and a leg but I don't want some piece of crap either. Any suggestions would be splendid! :laugh:
It has a lot more to do with the lens than the camera itself. Get a good macro lens and some simple lighting like a ring flash or a few small speed lights and whatever camera you put behind it will do just fine.

Gilberator

Arachnosquire
Nice pulchripes!!!! I see what you mean. I was just looking for a good out of the box to start with.

Snakeguy101

Arachnopeon
If you are talking point and shoot cameras, they will all get you a clear image. Some have more gimmicks than others but they will essentially be about the same. If you want to really work on and expand your skills photographing then you should invest in a SLR camera system. There are some decent bodies and kit lenses out there that you can get for relatively inexpensive (especially if you buy used or refurbished equipment). I use a Nikon d80 that I bought for under $600 and have slowly been adding to my lens collection. In the pictures above, I am using a tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro and in the first one, I used the nikon R1C1 close up lighting kit. This set up would cost you a little over a grand which is not much when you start to look at the price of some photography equipment (ie. lenses that sell for $3000+).

advan

oOOo
Staff member
A DSLR with a good macro lens will yield you the best results but you can get a decent point and shoot to work for you. All the pictures minus the last page of my pic thread were all taken with a Panasonic point and shoot.

Point and shoot
Ephebopus uatuman

Psalmopoeus pulcher

New SLR :D

Twillis10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think people could give you some more specific suggestions if you give a price range and experience with cameras. Also do you want to shoot video with the camera as well or just photos? As mentioned above though lighting, your lens and knowing how to use the camera can make all the difference.

Gilberator

Arachnosquire
okay well experience with cameras....lets start there. Ive used many, never had my own (besides smartphone snappers). Price range? Not really sure. Considering I want to buy ONE camera that will last for awhile, i'd say a good one. Shooting video would be nice but not necessary. I'm getting a gopro hd soon so Ill most likely make due with that if I ever need video recorded.

Armpit

Arachnosquire
i have professional equipment that i use for work, but to lazily photograph my T's without having to do a lot of extras, i end up using a heavily abused point and shoot Canon powershot SD1200 is. It's small enough to not be intimidating, and it's very user friendly. i dropped a buck twenty on it some three or four years ago.

Edit: the only thing i don't like about my particular camera is it's inability to autofocus during video. then again i might have just broken it.

Twillis10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would recommend looking into some entry level DSLRs if you dont mind spending a little cash. Nikon would probly be best if you are mainly concerned with photos. I prefer Canon for the video quality, but photo side of it doesnt compare, at least not on the entry level cameras. As stated above there are a bunch of good point and shoot cameras that have come out recently, but the DSLR will be a sturdier camera and wont become outdates quite as quickly.

Armpit

Arachnosquire
I would recommend looking into some entry level DSLRs if you dont mind spending a little cash. Nikon would probly be best if you are mainly concerned with photos. I prefer Canon for the video quality, but photo side of it doesnt compare, at least not on the entry level cameras. As stated above there are a bunch of good point and shoot cameras that have come out recently, but the DSLR will be a sturdier camera and wont become outdates quite as quickly.
definitely, but i believe the opposite about Nikon vs. Canon - hahaha camera enthusiasts are way too loyal to their brands :D

the above is appropriate information, as long as you keep in mind that the lens is most important. your camera body can always be upgraded, but lenses retain their value. so putting your money into a great piece of glass is worth your money in the long run - if this ends up being a hobby.

The other reason I don't always have my equipment out i s because I worry that is it almost intimidating?

Maybe I should just do it.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The whole canon vs Nikon debate. Overall I think it's very close. But entry level, I think the Nikon d3200 and d5100 (which should be upgraded if it's not already) are better than any of the canon rebels.

While the lens is certainly the most important aspect of any camera, I see many reasons to invest in a good body. From what lenses are compatible, to the resolution, to ISO, there are a number of features that are worth paying for. Just yet another thing to consider, as if there weren't enough already.

Gilberator

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the info guys! ill probably pick up a decent Nikon DSLR once I acquire the funds

Snakeguy101

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info guys! ill probably pick up a decent Nikon DSLR once I acquire the funds
This would be an excellent camera to start with. It is refurbished which means 2 things: it is less expensive and it has been checked over by the factory. I never buy used camera bodies but always go for refurbished ones if I can. If you get any lens make it a 50mm f/1.8. It is my main lens and it is way less expensive than it should be for this quality lens.
http://www.adorama.com/INKD90R.html

Gilberator

Arachnosquire
This would be an excellent camera to start with. It is refurbished which means 2 things: it is less expensive and it has been checked over by the factory. I never buy used camera bodies but always go for refurbished ones if I can. If you get any lens make it a 50mm f/1.8. It is my main lens and it is way less expensive than it should be for this quality lens.
http://www.adorama.com/INKD90R.html
Unfortunately it says its sold already:( but ill look out. Im also a supporter of buying refurb. products. Bought my asus g74 refurb. and theres nothing wrong at all. Thanks for the tip mang!!!!!!

MaskFac3

Arachnopeon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342813454.466474.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342813486.093869.jpg
Since this is a photo topic are any of these any good ? Taken with an iPod touch and a magnifying glass

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any point and shoot will produce better quality, even without macro settings, just cropping will probably have better resolution.

Gilberator

Arachnosquire
after fooling around with the settings, my nokia lumia 900 can get pretty nice close-ups of ts :) . I was pretty surprised! Ill use that as my point and shoot and get a DSLR