1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation for First Scorp

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by TheInv4sion, Jun 1, 2018.

1. TheInv4sion

TheInv4sion Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    I would preferably like a larger scorpion. I've looked at Emperor Scorpions, Asian Forest Scorpions, African Flat Rock Scorpions, and Red Claw Emperors.
    If you can give some recommendations and brief explanation that would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Dry - Hadogenes sp. or Hadrurus arizonensis. Both are very hardy and easy to keep. Hadrurus is more active, but has molting issues unless specific conditions are met. Hadogenes (troglodytes or paucidens) are as active as a rock, but are very long lived and extremely hardy. Slow growing too. I've kept Hadogenes in the past and it's probably my favorite genus of large scorps. Need to get more when I have more space.

Humid - Pandinus and Heterometrus. Easy to keep with heat and humidity. Fairly active. Generally low maintenance. I've kept them before, but I prefer my desert dwellers. But that's personal preference since I know quite a few people on the boards love their Heterometrus and can probably give them a more glowing review lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

been keeping only two species for the last six years. P cavimanus and H petersii. both are mean as hell, but i see the cavimanus much more often. both like deep damp sub to burrow in.

4. AnimalNewbie

AnimalNewbie Arachnobaron

I have a heterometrus spinifer and I see him daily and I keep it humid and it extremely easy to keep but it does have an attitude

5. Buthoscorpio

Buthoscorpio Arachnopeon

I would recomment Hadrurus sp. because they are easy to keep and active scorpions. That is what most beginners want imho.

6. Jonathan159

Jonathan159 Arachnosquire Active Member

If you want a 'larger' scorpion and that's your main goal then I'd say Heterometrus, Pandinus or Hadogenes sp. They are all impressive looking and large scorpions. All have evolved large pedipalps to catch prey and they prefer to crush and tear their prey rather than sting. Care for them is also easy and there's lots of information on them because they are popular among keepers.