recluse(?) spider - md - babies

jtablerd

Arachnopeon
i caught a spider the other day at work, it had markings on it almost exactly like a juvie black widow, i figured id bring it home to keep the t company, why not? she left me an eggsac(?) within the first few days, and has been eating very well for being in captivity (shes eating the 3/4-1" crickets that my T eats) i threw the eggsac out, along with another two or three after that...she kept leaving them, but i figured theres no way she can still be gravid....today when i looked into her tank theres 100+ lil babies in there with her...she got moved outside temporarily...just wondering what to do? anyone want them? shes a good, aggressive eater, im just not nearly as far into the hobby as i wish i was and am unable to care for all of `em...any advice appreciated..

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Recluse or black widow?

I've read that black widow females can store enough sperm to use their entire lives, so I'm not sure it matters how many eggsacs you throw away, it'll keep making fertile ones.

jtablerd

Arachnopeon
i originally thought recluse until i saw pics of a juvie black widow...exact same markings, but wouldnt she need to be mature (i.e. - requisite black carapace with hourglass shape) in order to produce eggsacs? i wish i had a good digi camera so i could post some id pics

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
blackwidows don't produce infinite fertile sacks... it just seems that way =P

from my keeping days i would say the first ~3 sacs will be full potency 100-300 babies (well, LOTS at any rate)

the next ~3 will be noticeably less fecund

i think on the 8-9 sac my fav black widow (Candystriper, cuz she was the first i kept that had more than the hourglass marking as an adult) barely any babies hatched, if any

p.s. i caught Candystriper when she was full grown, and she lived another ~3.5 years.