1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reccomendations for good starters?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Lettuce, Nov 13, 2017 at 4:51 PM.

1. johnny quango

johnny quango Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    I know what you mean but that's only because it is sometimes a little rarer than hamorii they are out there and have the exact same care so it should be included imo

2. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    I'd say get one as a sling. The only issue is that you might get a male, but these guys are relatively cheap, and they grow really fast. I'm still waiting to sex mine, and all my fingers and toes are crossed that they are a female!

3. Swoop

Swoop Arachnosquire Active Member

Texas
    I recommend starting with a juvie. Even a sling that grows 'really fast' is going to be small for months. The care is not much more difficult but feeding is a little more hassle and less exciting b/c small slings should have pre-killed food.

4. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

So then let me ask you this... What would be a basic enclosure for a roughly 2” albo. or pulchripes? Where would be the best place to get an enclosure? Thanks!

5. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

So I’ve seen people house slings in basically old pill bottles? Is that what a sling enclosure would be?

6. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Are the Lasiodora and Acanthoscurria docile but just not handleable?

7. grumpycow3

grumpycow3 Arachnopeon Active Member

i wouldnt recommend handling any Ts not only for your safety with some species but also for the Ts safety/sanity.

8. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    I have my Davus pentaloris is one of those. My B.ablo is too big, and they're in a deli cup. It really depends on the size of the sling you get.

9. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnobaron Active Member

A small faunarium/breeder box will keep them going until they hit around 4", both are easily obtainable online, here's my juvenile G. pulchripes setup.

DSC00002.JPG

The majority of people here will advise you against handling any tarantula both for your and their safety, even a short drop can kill a tarantula.

My Lasiodora parahybana is very skittish and won't hesitate to bolt or kick hairs (Lasiodora hairs are bad IME), her first reaction to any new stimuli is to assume it's food and attack it, once she realises that something isn't food then she either runs away (they are deceptively fast) or tries to hair me to death.

A. geniculata have an undeserved reputation for being "semi-aggressive" because their first reaction to any new stimuli is to assume it's food and then attack it, my girl will calmly walk away from a disturbance once she realises that it isn't food, she might kick hairs if I persistently annoy her (when rehousing for example), the hairs are moderately itchy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Awesome, I love the picture and enclosure.. One other question since you seem knowledgeable.. Any good recommendations on where to purchase tarantulas? Thanks!

11. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Any good recommendations on where to buy tarantulas? Thank you!

12. Deb60

Deb60 Arachnosquire

Yes I agree, you’ve got to go with a Eauthlus sp Red . So cute , active and and always looking to see what’s going on .

13. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    Depends where you are located. I buy all my animals from Dawn, at Tangled in Webs, and Amanda, from Tarantula Canada.

14. Draketeeth

Draketeeth Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    There are a bunch of places! The forums here have a classified section you can look through, and I'm pretty sure a number of folks there have species from your list. I bought my first spider from Jamie's Tarantulas. I've never ordered from them, but net-bug.net from what I read gets good reviews. Bugsincyberspace is another who carries tarantulas, though I don't think they have yours at the moment. pinchersandpokies sells tarantulas. Swift's Invertebrates sells tarantulas. and I'm sure there's a few others I'm missing.

15. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Awesome, thank you so much!

16. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Yeah I am in California so I don't think I could get any from Canada;)... Thank you for your help anyways!

17. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    You can ship them. I know Amanda is fantastic with shipping her animals, and the few I've gotten from her are absolute garbage cans with legs.

18. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

That would be great I would just be concerned about the shipping cost...

19. spidertherapy78

spidertherapy78 Arachnoknight Active Member

I love my E sp red. I have two of them- a MF and a sling. They are wonderful. They move around a lot, they are almost always out and they are so lovely. The husbandry is pretty easy too. I think these are perfect for beginners.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1