1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reccomendations for good starters?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Lettuce, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I have a list below of the species I am considering purchasing... I have never had a tarantula before but I am wanting to get one to start with... Which of these are best? Are there any that should be on the list that aren’t? Thank you!

-Brachypelma albopilosum

-Euathlus sp. red

-Eupalaestrus campestratus

-Grammostola pulchra

-Brachypelma smithi

-Grammostola pulchripes

2. grumpycow3

grumpycow3 Arachnosquire Active Member

It's B. hamorri now. Also i have only G. Pulchripes and B. hamorri but both are great starters so just go for what you think looks better

3. grumpycow3

this was my second t though

4. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    I'd say do the B.ablo. That was my first T, and they're a walking trashcan. They are fairly docile as well, and they get so curly! They are also very fast growing, as most of those species on your list are slower growers, and they tend to go off food for extended periods of time while they prepare to molt.

5. johnny quango

johnny quango Arachnoknight

He may have actually meant B smithi seeing as it does still exist even with the name change. Just saying :troll:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. jaycied

jaycied Arachnosquire

Idaho
    I personally picked all of these up when I was beginning, but if I had to choose a couple of my favorites on this list for a brand new T keeper, I'd go with G pulchripes or B albo. They're faster growers than the rest, and I know when I was first starting I wanted to see results immediately.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnobaron Active Member

B. albopilosum and G. pulchripes are the best readily available starter species you can get.

8. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

If you want to add an arboreal, consider Avicularia avicularia. I also have no problem considering a Lasiodora parahybana or an Acanthoscurria genticulata. Super hardy, fantastic eaters. You aren't holding them, but the care is honestly just as straight forward as the above named tarantulas. They were my first two. I have the initial list, but they were added after. The G pulchripes was my third. I bought her back then so I could hold one. Good times...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Would you reccomend I buy them as slings , juveniles, adults? Thank you!

10. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Would you reccomend I buy one of them as a sling, juvenile or adult? Thank you!

11. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Euathlus sp. red

is the best hands down. G. pulchripes is second. I own both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

14. Lettuce

Lettuce Arachnopeon

Gorgeous!! Would you reccomend to buy one as a sling, juvenile or adult? Thanks!

15. viper69

Juvi, 1" DLS specifically. The slings are often sold at 1/3". Most people don't want to be bothered with Ts that small, primarily because it can be hard to find the right size prey items for them. They tend to be picky eaters, prey need to be just the right size IME, quite patient they are.

16. viper69

Anything that is 1" or more, esp at 1.5-2" is going to be more hardy, esp when errors in husbandry are concerned.

17. The Grym Reaper

A juvenile (around 2") would be the best bet if you still want to watch it grow but find the prospect of looking after a tiny sling a little daunting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

I always advocate avoiding slings in the beginning. Many disagree saying they want to experience all stages of life and can learn more when starting with slings. I don't subscribe to that theory. Maybe because I can be a little more impatient or want immediate gratification. I prefer to start with juvies and have no problem if an adult female is available. An adult female is going to still live a long time. I like them bigger because they tend to be less fragile and forgiving of errors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. grumpycow3

you dont really see that one on all the things with the best beginner Ts, at least not when i was researching for my first T

20. The Grym Reaper

Possibly because of availability, they've started to turn up more often here recently whereas I almost never saw them for sale before the revision.