Really need this ID'd please - need this resolved Thanks!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In a recent thread a few weeks back (see link below) I bought a P. Cancerides but thought it might be a P. Platus. Well, she/he molted last night and I'm pretty convinced now that she/he is a P. Canerides. Though I'm having trouble determining the sex. This one seems difficult...it kind of has a flap with what looks like two spikes at the ends that look like ears. Any help verifying Sp and sex would be appreciated. Below are comparison of before and after molt as well as molt pics. thanks...rob

Previous thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=116759

Comparison of before and after molt:

Here's molt pics:

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Rob,

Have missed you on the boards lately.
Wish I could tell you what this is, I have not seen such a change pre/post molt. Any chance it could be a Pink Zebra??

Best of luck

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
No, there is no chance it could be a Pink Zebra.

It looks like a female to me.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not sure on species, but congrats on a beautiful female. :clap:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would lean strongly towards it being a female P. cancerides.

IMO, the species which P. cancerides closest resembles in overall appearance/habitus is P. atrichomatus. They can be separated by the shape of the spermathecae... with the receptacles being more triangular in P. atrichomatus and closer together at the base. It's hard to see exactly in your photos, but the spermathecae seems to be consistent with what you'd expect in P. cancerides.

You can follow the key in the paper Chris linked to above as well. The key is on page 26 and you can use online translators to get the jist of most things.

Eric

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey Rob,

Have missed you on the boards lately.
Wish I could tell you what this is, I have not seen such a change pre/post molt. Any chance it could be a Pink Zebra??

Best of luck
It was a drastic change......I didn't exspect it.....rob