Really big problem, need help!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Serious question,

If the apt complex and management knew I had spiders,
approved of them,
had them in my lease,
even had a written request that I be told of pesticide use on the property but more specifically near my unit,
could I sue them if they decided not to notify me?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Serious question,

If the apt complex and management knew I had spiders,
approved of them,
had them in my lease,
even had a written request that I be told of pesticide use on the property but more specifically near my unit,
could I sue them if they decided not to notify me?
It would be hard for you to prove that the Ts died from the pesticides, even if you had a writen agreement with the manager. Plus it is tarantulas we are talkenlate about so it would be hard gen up simpathy from a judge.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well that is the case here. I just found out from a maintenance guy I am cool with that the company that sprayed did not use granule poison, they had backpacks on with liquid poison in a pressure fed sprayer.

The ants in the video I posted, they all died. But today was even worse. Me and the maintenance guy spotted a big big group of ants. The were doing much the same as they were in the video. We chatted for a bit about this and that and when we looked at them again 5 minutes later, they were all dead. 5 damn minutes. I can't even get things to die that fast with raid.

I am to the point where I am leaving my shoes outside. Washing everything. Spraying down my patio with water and bleach. This really sucks.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It would be hard for you to prove that the Ts died from the pesticides, even if you had a writen agreement with the manager. Plus it is tarantulas we are talkenlate about so it would be hard gen up simpathy from a judge.
I am not talking about the Ts at this point. I am talking about them willfully disregarding my request to notify me of poison used on the property.

Edit----- never mind. I just spoke to a lawyer and he informed me that pets or no pets I should have been told in advance of the use of poison.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I am not talking about the Ts at this point. I am talking about them willfully disregarding my request to notify me of poison used on the property.

Edit----- never mind. I just spoke to a lawyer and he informed me that pets or no pets I should have been told in advance of the use of poison.
Go for it then, sounds like you might have someething. Be ready to move though, and maybe you will get national attention about this. LOL, I can post a link from CNN in the wateringhole. GO for it!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol I don't want all that noise. I just don't like that they could not tell me. A notice in my mail box would have taken a few seconds.
I only called the legal office to make sure it was not freakishly unreasonable that I was a little mad they did not notify me of the spraying.

I think I said it somewhere already, but it's time to look for a house!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Lol I don't want all that noise. I just don't like that they could not tell me. A notice in my mail box would have taken a few seconds.
I only called the legal office to make sure it was not freakishly unreasonable that I was a little mad they did not notify me of the spraying.

I think I said it somewhere already, but it's time to look for a house!
You could also see if they will reimburse you for the losses. I would at least try to get some compensation for the time and money you lost.

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd agree that if you had specifically requested to be informed, they are required to inform you.

I know some people who are SERIOUSLY allergic to sprays like that - and can end up needing to take a trip to the hospital if sprays like that are used around them, or around their homes. (Makes summers harsh - since they can't be around mosquito repellents but they enjoy outdoor activities) They HAVE to be informed if any sprays are going to be used because they have to seal up their home and then go stay with a friend for a few days....failing to inform them could result with the place being responsible for their hospital stay...

But really, any poison in general being used around you should be disclosed to you at your request, and if you request to be informed as to when they will be used the people responsible should inform you. Its just common safety procedures.

T's aren't the only thing that can be hurt either - if its sprayed heavily and a cat or dog goes out, walks in it (or lays down in it), and then later grooms themselves it could at the very least make them ill. Birds can be made seriously ill or killed by some pesticides that are used (this info per a rehabber who has treated NUMEROUS wild birds (hawks, falcons, etc) and has personally seen the problems caused by pesticides).

So yeah, I'd say if you requested it, especially since it sounds like you have the paperwork to indicate that, that you should discuss the possible options with a lawyer for what actions can be taken. Won't bring back the slings or change the fact that the rest of your collection has been put at risk, but it might be a way to get some compensation for it, as well as trying to drive home the point that ignoring requests such as this is NOT an option for a responsible property owner...(if you can get media coverage all the better!)

Best of luck to you with all of this - glad to read that there haven't been new cases in your collection.

EDIT: more posts added since I started writing - obviously if you don't want to deal with all of the craziness of lawsuits and such you shouldn't, but I would make a meeting with the person in charge and seriously discuss this 'oversight' with them, explaining your losses (both in financial and time value), etc. and how important it is for them to notify you of these things. Maybe try to get some compensation, bu at least making it clear that such failures to inform cannot be tolerated. Again, good luck!

Last edited:

ian robbins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those bastards!
The pesticides sound like the cause, the how factor may not be crystal clear but pesticides sound like the source.

I would think about the cats???

Sorry for your loss, I would help you find a new house if you lived in MI.

Wanna live in MI? We could be roomates?:clap:

Go with god.

Unless you spray pesticides without telling people, then go directly to hell. Do not pass go and do not collect 200.00$. And may the devil pierce your face with two large black fangs when you arrive.
Bastards.
-Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well back to square one. I spoke with the company that did the treatment. Apparently this was a gel applied to the base of the unit outside. It dries in under 10 minutes with no harmful vapors what so ever. The only way it could have gotten into the room and killed something would be direct contact. And that is very unlikely. They even went on to say that if it had been tracked in by foot that would still not be a problem because the dried gel would still have to have touched the spider directly to affect it.

This is a freaking nightmare that I just want to go away.

unitard311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well back to square one. I spoke with the company that did the treatment. Apparently this was a gel applied to the base of the unit outside. It dries in under 10 minutes with no harmful vapors what so every. The only way it could have gotten into the room and killed something would be direct contact. And that is very unlikely. They even went on to say that if it had been tracked in by foot that would still not be a problem because the dried gel would still have to have touched the spider directly to affect it.

This is a freaking nightmare that I just want to go away.
Man, I am sorry to hear that. I feel for you. :(

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
yeah but that does not explain the ants. There were pesticides used some where some how cause you saw the result on your porch.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah but that does not explain the ants. There were pesticides used some where some how cause you saw the result on your porch.
They said the gel that hardens is some form of sugary substance laced with death. The ants eat it, share it, and die.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am to the point where I am leaving my shoes outside. Washing everything. Spraying down my patio with water and bleach. This really sucks.
If you can get your hands on peroxide, that would probably do a better and safer job of neutralising anything around.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is what I used in the room when the outbreak first started. Peroxide and vinegar.

ian robbins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a suggestion.

I find clarity comes with getting drunk.
Maybe in a sober mind set the truth just escapes you but an intoxicated mind some times is able to grasp broader concepts. Pick your tonic, sit in the room and dont leave until you either find out the solution or are too drunk to stay awake.
If nothing else it will be theroputic.

Im not a docter but I play one on TV, so you can trust that I will only give advice that I am absolutly positive, may possibly work.

If that fails, go yell at your girl friend, that always helps me.
Blue balls may bring the type of clarity needed to solve this enigma as well???

-Ian:cool:

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I wouldn't rule out pesticide just because they told you what they use has no fumes. I used to raise about 3000 H cecropia every year for 10 years and sold them to zoos for butterfly houses. Then the BT corn came along. (Bacillus thuringiensis). Scientists still claim that the BT in the pollen of corn only affects caterpillars within a few yards of the corn. I know from experience this is completely false. I had sleeves of larvae a half mile from BT corn that all died within a week of the corn tasseling. I used to find large numbers of other lep larvae in my sleeves when I took them down. I raised my cecropia on chokecherry and used large sleeves covering entire trees. When I removed the sleeves I would find sphinx larvae, lots of tiger swallowtail larvae and many other species. The last year I reared when 100% died (all when the corn tasseled), I couldn't find any larvae of any species even in sleeves a long ways away from the corn. Scientists who still claim the BT corn has little effect on the environment are denying reality. fewer larvae also means fewer birds etc. etc. It affects the entire food chain. If they did anything with pesticides near the property where you keep your T's, that would be my first suspicion no matter what they say.

I also worked at a garden center for several years. I can tell you that the trucks come with many harsh chemicals loaded on top of and next to bales of peat. Your peat could possibly have been partially contaminated. if you used a corner of the bag on your regalis that was the only part contaminated, it may have affected only them and nothing else.

One more thing. I once lost a colony of 30 + walkingsticks (Carausius morosius) started from some sticks I purchased at a local pet store. I was feeding them romaine lettuce and had been through several generations. I got one pesticide affected head of lettuce from WalMart and the whole colony died within an hour. Don't believe what an expert pesticide applier tells you. If the pesticide gel took 10 minutes to dry, then there were fumes for 10 minutes, guaranteed.