Really big problem, need help!

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya true. Knowing is better.

Only thing is I am still trying to wrap my mind around how it went from the patio, through the sliding glass doors, through the living room, through the dining room, and through the spider room door, with enough power to do what it did. The localization of the problem is interesting too.

All I know is if that is what caused it, that is some powerful evil stuff.
Could it have come in through your air ducts/ventilation system, if someone else in your complex sprayed or dispersed poison in their apartment?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Could it have come in through your air ducts/ventilation system, if someone else in your complex sprayed or dispersed poison in their apartment?
Maybe...... I am not 100% sure but I don't think anything connects. But regardless I have had my windows open recently so that might have been enough to get some in the apt. But at this point as mentioned I think the upstairs neighbors are unleashing chemical hell on the carpenter ants plaguing them. I want to talk to them but I have tried before just in passing and they do not speak English. And considering I don’t speak Arabic I think we have a problem. :wall:
I can say “stop put the gun down” but somehow I don’t think that will help me!

Corranthe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:
I can say “stop put the gun down” but somehow I don’t think that will help me!
If you can just find out the arabic word for spraycan, then you could stay "stop, put the spraycan down"... Seriously though, if you know anyone at all that speaks the language maybe you can have them write a note for you to leave on the neighbor's door.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know someone in the family has to speak English. How else could they have gotten through the lease paperwork?

Umar

Arachnopeon
Hi

I speak Arabic if you would like to write something i can translate it for you and send you it in an email or something?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome I will work on that tonight. I have to get some sleep here soon. 12 hour grave over time is just not worth it. But I will pm you thanks!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
You live in an apartment...

Have you asked the Manager if they have done any type of lawn fertilizer, weed killers, or if they have sprayed for bugs around the buildings?

This would be the first place I would start if I were you. It would make sense that the slings would be the first to show signs.

Were the slings that were affected near the window or maybe even exposed to an outside draft near an electrical outlet?
Have you talked with you neighbors to ask them what and where they sprayed that stuff? If they sprayed it on their porch and their door was open it could have blown in their apt, and traveled through the wall and in to your apt via draft and electrical outlets.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well we hit another dead end, sort of.
I talked to the apartment management again and they told me again no spraying. But then told me that the Alpha pest company had used granule poison to kill the ants. Can that drift into the apt like a spray would?

And the man of the house was home this morning and he informed me they have not used anything chemical related to kill anything.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
They might be on a maintenance schedule so they would not necessarily have been informed about a lawn fertilization, weed treatment, or pest spray.

I have Managed apts in the past and the management company had set up for them to just come out and spray with out my even knowing. If I hadn't seen them doing it I would not have known it happened. I have also seen lawn contractors and other types of contractors have miss communications and set up Apt communities on a "maintenance" program and then only found out we had been sprayed after we got the bill.

And then there is the possibility that one of your neighbors sprayed for spiders, fleas, or ants. I suppose that even perfumes, colognes, and lotions might even be bad for T's but who knows.
Like I said they may not even know about a contractor that has been out there. Most of the time the bills go to the Corporate Management Co. So it could have been commercial pesticides.

It is very likely that one of your MANY neighbors have sprayed for "pest" and it got to your T's from stepping in some outside over spray or come in via wall drafts or windows.

This really sucks, but at least you have the probable cause. I would bet that DS is mostly attributed to pesticides and the like, even if people can't find out how exposure and transmission was facilitated.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ike I said they may not even know about a contractor that has been out there. Most of the time the bills go to the Corporate Management Co. So I could have been commercial pesticides.
It's not spray from the company. I found piles of the granules.
There are only 4 units per building and all the other residents told me they have not sprayed anything. Its a long ways to the next unit. But I guess it's possible.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Well we hit another dead end, sort of.
I talked to the apartment management again and they told me again no spraying. But then told me that the Alpha pest company had used granule poison to kill the ants. Can that drift into the apt like a spray would?

And the man of the house was home this morning and he informed me they have not used anything chemical related to kill anything.
You, your cat, your girl friend, or all of the above could have tracked it in. You may have vacuumed it up and blew the vapors around the house affecting the weakest of your collection. Just a theory?:?

Or after the granules were administered to the lawn you may have had a window open during or shortly after, letting vapors in your apt. When that stuff is fresh out of the container it is very airborne due to the fine particles from the granules rubbing together.

it is like poison dust.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Funny you mention cat, the cat's collars sometimes contain these chemicals.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My cats don't have collars.
But the cats tracking the stuff in is an interesting thought.
Have I mentioned yet I need to move? :)
It's been a few days now with no new deaths. So I guess I just will keep guessing, and looking for a house!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Funny you mention cat, the cat's collars sometimes contain these chemicals.
Yeah I know what you mean, I freaked out about putting the flea and tick collars and treatment on my two cats and one dog. I posted a thread last year asking if it was a danger, but know one said they had any problems from it. Any way I think the 3 month treatment is pretty Strong so I moved all my T's to a private room where the animals do not have access. I have to take extra care because I am sitting 9 Ts for some one this summer. After the Ts were moved fed and watered for the week I gave the cats and dog there treatment because I did not want to be a potential transmitter of pesticides to my eight legged beauties. I even stopped petting the animals for the week after the applications.

Now I had to finally give it to them cause we live in the country and all three off them kept bringing ticks in the house. Last hing I want is for one of my kids to get Lyme's disease. After picking 3 or 4 ticks off the kids my wife made me treat the animals.

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My cats don't have collars.
But the cats tracking the stuff in is an interesting thought.
Have I mentioned yet I need to move? :)
It's been a few days now with no new deaths. So I guess I just will keep guessing, and looking for a house!
Yeah I know what you mean, I freaked out about putting the flea and tick collars and treatment on my two cats and one dog. I posted a thread last year asking if it was a danger, but know one said they had any problems from it. Any way I think the 3 month treatment is pretty Strong so I moved all my T's to a private room where the animals do not have access. I have to take extra care because I am sitting 9 Ts for some one this summer. After the Ts were moved fed and watered for the week I gave the cats and dog there treatment because I did not want to be a potential transmitter of pesticides to my eight legged beauties. I even stopped petting the animals for the week after the applications.

Now I had to finally give it to them cause we live in the country and all three off them kept bringing ticks in the house. Last hing I want is for one of my kids to get Lyme's disease. After picking 3 or 4 ticks off the kids my wife made me treat the animals.
keep cats indoors, and you won't have to worry about them tracking stuff in from outside. simple, really. oh, and statistically, they live longer. ;)

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
keep cats indoors, and you won't have to worry about them tracking stuff in from outside. simple, really. oh, and statistically, they live longer. ;)
My cats would murder me in my sleep if I didn't let them out.

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Unfortunately, a lot of parasites, bacteria, viruses, etc. that cause behavioral changes are tricky to spot. It took a lot of researchers to discover the Israeli virus causing colony collapse disorder in honeybees.
CCD has not been solved. "Israeli virus" is associated with, and not the cause of CCD. Please do not spread false information on such an important issue.

Chris
-Beekeeper