Really agressive T?

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
Hallo friends, pls, what is the really aggressive tarantula? I mean which one really attack, which goes to check what has happened when disturbed... I have some T´s, but they prefer hiding, also, under mark "fast" I imagine something a bit quicker. How about Stromatopelma? Can you compare it with OBT? Thank you.

Last edited:

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
I find there really is no "aggressive" tarantula. They usually all go to hide, it is when they are set up improperly, having no hide, that they will become defensive. Some take this for aggressive but it is not. It is believing that whatever has disturbed it is an imminant threat and thus raises up in defense. I don't think a tarantula will actively seek you to attack.

The only tarantula I have that comes out to check what has happened when disturbed is my H.gigas. Though, it does not come out fangs beared, it comes out in a rather inquisitive manner. I have an S.calceatum and even that is not aggressive.

The only moment I had where I had doubt on that was when I was tong feeding and it ran up the tongs after getting spooked. Even then it probably did this because it was spooked and felt the need to run and just so happened to run on the tongs. Since then I do not tong feed.

On the topic of the OBT, I find they are not even really that defensive. They are my calmest old world species. Mine never bolts, never acts "squirely" and is very slow moving. I have not seen a threat pose from her in a long time.

Comparing them, I find S.calceatum is quicker to run to its hide or run laps in its enclosure at the slightest disturbance. I also find when it comes to speed S.calceatum seems to run much faster, being arboreal it can use this full speed efficiently going up walls and on the ground, so be wary of this. I can't say anything for venom because I have never been bitten by a tarantula before but reading the bite reports I would say both are pretty bad.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
Euathlus sp. red is by far the most vicious one out there. I'm surprised that it is still legal to buy these, honestly.
Thank you, good idea. Maybe, when I will be old, blind and senile, I will buy one. But I would like something new now... I am giving away about 9 T´s (3 OBT, 3 GBB, 3 P. rufilata, ), I am thinking what will I get instead of them...

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
L parahybanna.
I’ve been told they aren’t aggressive but just insane about food and can mistake anything for food that is in there home....your hand.

I’m not sure on the name but I was looking into getting a Cuban species or one from the Dominican and I’m fairly certain they are crazy spiders. I was on Tarcans price list looking them up.

dord

Arachnopeon
Euathlus sp. red is by far the most vicious one out there. I'm surprised that it is still legal to buy these, honestly.
Kinda irresponsible of you to let that secret out of the bag to outsiders, but well... I agree.
No one has been killed by a tarantula bite. But legend has it that keepers have been cuddled to death by the cunning Euathlus sp. red... :troll:

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
I find there really is no "aggressive" tarantula. They usually all go to hide, it is when they are set up improperly, having no hide, that they will become defensive. Some take this for aggressive but it is not. It is believing that whatever has disturbed it is an imminant threat and thus raises up in defense. I don't think a tarantula will actively seek you to attack.

The only tarantula I have that comes out to check what has happened when disturbed is my H.gigas. Though, it does not come out fangs beared, it comes out in a rather inquisitive manner. I have an S.calceatum and even that is not aggressive.

The only moment I had where I had doubt on that was when I was tong feeding and it ran up the tongs after getting spooked. Even then it probably did this because it was spooked and felt the need to run and just so happened to run on the tongs. Since then I do not tong feed.

On the topic of the OBT, I find they are not even really that defensive. They are my calmest old world species. Mine never bolts, never acts "squirely" and is very slow moving. I have not seen a threat pose from her in a long time.

Comparing them, I find S.calceatum is quicker to run to its hide or run laps in its enclosure at the slightest disturbance. I also find when it comes to speed S.calceatum seems to run much faster, being arboreal it can use this full speed efficiently going up walls and on the ground, so be wary of this. I can't say anything for venom because I have never been bitten by a tarantula before but reading the bite reports I would say both are pretty bad.
Thank you very much much. P.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon

Also, pls, I noticed you have also Heteroscodra maculata. What is your experience with this T? I like this one too. Maybe, I will rebuild my terra (and plans) and buy both Stromatopelma and Heteroscodra :)

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Mine are pretty small, my largest is 3" so I don't want to skew your idea of them but they are not all that bad. They are easily my fastest tarantula. It's insane if they go running you're in for a bad situation. They are also my only tarantula that sometimes will bolt out of the enclosure, or rather attempt to :rolleyes:. That said, they are also one of my favorites, the coloring on them is gorgeous and they aren't all that defensive. Only problem is I find they hide all the time.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
Mine are pretty small, my largest is 3" so I don't want to skew your idea of them but they are not all that bad. They are easily my fastest tarantula. It's insane if they go running you're in for a bad situation. They are also my only tarantula that sometimes will bolt out of the enclosure, or rather attempt to :rolleyes:. That said, they are also one of my favorites, the coloring on them is gorgeous and they aren't all that defensive. Only problem is I find they hide all the time.
Interesting. Probably my next T :) And the hiding is similar to my P. regalis. She is out every night, but usually from 02:00 to 06:00... Thank you and good luck.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
My little Selenotypus plumipes is only just over 1" legspan and it attacked me through the front glass 3 times one night just for looking at it, so I'd call that aggressive!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
"aggressive"?.... IDK any aggressive T's, but I do know of several "highly defensive" T's.

The H. mac and S. cal are flighty and highly defensive when triggered, but they're pretty reclusive though. If you aren't hell bent on going with an arboreal then look into a P. murinus. They're cheaper and pretty nasty.

Also look into P. irminia or P. cambridgei. Both are new world arboreal's with speed and attitude.

Also consider the P. cancerides. They're always great and have attitude!

I forgot to add one other thing, you're also much more likely see the T's I mentionedmore than an H. mac or S. cal.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You should consider always that what really matter is the single specimen temperament more than the genus/specie per se, which is extremely important, give the idea but isn't everything.

You know, I personally 'worked' with P.cancerides more defensive than the infamous P.murinus, just like I had P.irminia more high strung than certain 'Pokies' (never owned one, but worked with other's keepers 'Pokies') yet for a certain average mindset (an error) this is 'hard' to accept, because OW are always and necessarily 'more... something'.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
You should consider always that what really matter is the single specimen temperament more than the genus/specie per se, which is extremely important, give the idea but isn't everything.

You know, I personally 'worked' with P.cancerides more defensive than the infamous P.murinus, just like I had P.irminia more high strung than certain 'Pokies' (never owned one, but worked with other's keepers 'Pokies') yet for a certain average mindset (an error) this is 'hard' to accept, because OW are always and necessarily 'more... something'.
I almost picked up a female P. cancerides at an expo last month, until my breeder buddy tested her temperament... yeah she kicked and threw threat posture. No thanks I have little desire for that "one-two combo". :stop::meh::D

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
"aggressive"?.... IDK any aggressive T's, but I do know of several "highly defensive" T's.

The H. mac and S. cal are flighty and highly defensive when triggered, but they're pretty reclusive though. If you aren't hell bent on going with an arboreal then look into a P. murinus. They're cheaper and pretty nasty.

Also look into P. irminia or P. cambridgei. Both are new world arboreal's with speed and attitude.

Also consider the P. cancerides. They're always great and have attitude!

Thank you. Concerning P. murinus - I have 5 now. They are ok, no problem with them. I would say nor fast, neither slow, they are normal. The same H. pulchripes. They are great and nice, but, to tell the truth, when I read about "Orange Bitey Thing", "Orange devils" and similar, I expected a bit more. Poecilotherias are great too, but I already have some. I already decided for H. mac and S. cal :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Thank you. Concerning P. murinus - I have 5 now. They are ok, no problem with them. I would say nor fast, neither slow, they are normal. The same H. pulchripes. They are great and nice, but, to tell the truth, when I read about "Orange Bitey Thing", "Orange devils" and similar, I expected a bit more. Poecilotherias are great too, but I already have some. I already decided for H. mac and S. cal :)
Then why did you ask if you knew what you wanted? I can tell you're in it for the adrenaline. :bored:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
My T. stirmi sus. male. That thing is a beast at about 6" and it will keep eating if I keep feeding it. It also charges across the enclosure if I move anything inside, and strikes a massive threat posture. At night I can sometimes hear its fangs scraping the Breeder Box enclosure lid, it literally stands against the wall trying to bite through...