1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realistic Tarantula Sizes

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Derivative, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Derivative

Derivative Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I'm gonna be honest I made this thread because I'm bored but anyways here are some realistic sizes for tarantula species. It is important to note that I have not kept most of these species and I am going off Information gathered off the internet. Thus it is important to take this post with a grain of salt. These are what seem to be realistic tarantula sizes for certain species in DLS. If any expert feels that some of this information is inaccurate please chime in and I will edit it immediately.
    Acanthoscurria Geniculata 7-8 Inches
    Aphonopelma Chalcodes 4.5-5 Inches
    Aphonopelma Seemanni 5-6 Inches
    Augacephalus Ezendami 4-5 Inches
    Avicularia Avicularia 5-6 Inches
    Avicularia Braunshauseni 6-7 Inches
    Brachypelma Hamorii 5-6 Inches
    Caribena Versicolor 4.5-5 Inches
    Chilobrachys Fimbriatus 5-6 Inches
    Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens 5-6 Inches
    Cyriopagopus Lividus 5-5.5 Inches
    Cyriopagopus Schmidti 7-8 Inches
    Ephebopus Murinus 5-6 Inches
    Grammostola Rosea 5-6 Inches
    Grammostola Pulchripes 6-7 Inches
    Hysterocrates Gigas 7-8 Inches
    Lampropelma Violaceopes 8-9 Inches
    Lasiodora Parahybana 7-8 Inches
    Nhandu Tripepii 7-8 Inches
    Pamphobeteus Antinous 8-9 Inches
    Pelinobius Muticus 7-8 Inches
    Poecilotheria Regalis 7-8 Inches
    Poecilotheria Ornata 8-9 Inches
    Poecilotheria Rufilata 8-9 Inches
    Psalmopoeus Cambridgei 6-7 Inches
    Theraphosa blondi 9-10.5
    Theraphosa Apophysis 9-10.5
    Theraphosa Stirmi 9-10.5

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnodemon Active Member

Are we talking just females?? Some males don't really reach these sizes if you see them in person. :rolleyes:

3. Derivative

Derivative Arachnosquire

Yep just females.

4. Liquifin

Ok, so how many if these T.'s do you own?? I can say that the species that I have are mostly accurate to this list. But I can't say all of these are accurate unless someone that owns the rest of the list can verify.

5. Derivative

Derivative Arachnosquire

I own an Avicularia Avicularia and an Grammostola Rosea lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

Generally, two inches shy of, “...they get ________!” Seriously, as @Liquifin posted, your list appears pretty realistic.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Liquifin

Funny, but relatable when someone exaggerates about sizes.

8. Derivative

Derivative Arachnosquire

I just hope I didn't exaggerate any sizes lol

9. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

Well, I have, or had in the past, many of the species listed. The leg span lengths you listed are the extremes of each species and even then there are factors to take into consideration such as how you measure and how old the individual spider is. Leg span lengths are always longer if measured diagonally and if you measure with legs stretched out to the max. One won't typically see the full extent of a tarantula's size while its alive in captivity since they hardly ever sit with all legs stretched out. The exception of course would be the arboreal species.

I always have a bit of a laugh when people list the huge leg spans of Theraphosa species. The largest tarantula I have ever seen, and still have in alcohol, is a male Theraphosa stirmi. When it died I took my tape measure to it and the diagonal leg span is 10 inches while measuring straight on one side is 9 inches. When it was alive, it never looked that big since it was always moving and resting with its legs scrunched up. The female Theraphosa stirmi I had, and also presently in alcohol, was sold to me as a whopping 11 inches and even came with a picture of it sitting on a 12 inch floor tile for proof of its size. After several molts and until its death many years after buying it and caring for it, it never reached more than an 8 inch leg span measured straight on one side. Never measured diagonally because I think that is a silly way to measure. Even if that tarantula in particular had a shorter leg span than what I was told it was, it's mass is enormous and still impressive.

So the sizes are not unrealistic for each of the species, but they are the extremes.

10. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

1. No apostrophe in the title. "Sizes" is multiple.

2. No capitalizing the species name.

3. You forgot Orange Bobs, at 5-5.5"

• Like Like x 1
  11. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

more like 8

more like 7-8"

up to 9"

7-8"
    up to 8"

12. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I think 4.5-5" is probably more accurate.

I have a female whose last exuvia measured 5.5" DLS

I think 4.5-5" is probably more accurate.

13. Arachnid Addicted

Arachnid Addicted Arachnopeon Active Member

Hi guys. I'm a new member here.

I really find this thread interesting. Size was something that I always had some doubts too. Imo, the sizes of the Ts we saw on the internet caresheets (for example) is an average measure of the adult female.

I'll give you guys an example, I had a C. versicolor that died with about 6.5in, I know she was big for the species and few individuals will get this size so if I make a caresheet with the size I got from the species, it will be completely innacurate.

Same goes for other species and, of course I think Avicularia avicularia (which is now has 6 or 7 morphs, braunshauseni included) should be kept with separated measures, lol.

14. asunshinefix

asunshinefix Arachnopeon

For what it's worth, my mature male G. porteri is about 5", maybe a little more. His last molt before he hooked out was 4.5"