Realistic Tarantula Sizes

Derivative

Arachnosquire
I'm gonna be honest I made this thread because I'm bored but anyways here are some realistic sizes for tarantula species. It is important to note that I have not kept most of these species and I am going off Information gathered off the internet. Thus it is important to take this post with a grain of salt. These are what seem to be realistic tarantula sizes for certain species in DLS. If any expert feels that some of this information is inaccurate please chime in and I will edit it immediately.
Acanthoscurria Geniculata 7-8 Inches
Aphonopelma Chalcodes 4.5-5 Inches
Aphonopelma Seemanni 5-6 Inches
Augacephalus Ezendami 4-5 Inches
Avicularia Avicularia 5-6 Inches
Avicularia Braunshauseni 6-7 Inches
Brachypelma Hamorii 5-6 Inches
Caribena Versicolor 4.5-5 Inches
Chilobrachys Fimbriatus 5-6 Inches
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens 5-6 Inches
Cyriopagopus Lividus 5-5.5 Inches
Cyriopagopus Schmidti 7-8 Inches
Ephebopus Murinus 5-6 Inches
Grammostola Rosea 5-6 Inches
Grammostola Pulchripes 6-7 Inches
Hysterocrates Gigas 7-8 Inches
Lampropelma Violaceopes 8-9 Inches
Lasiodora Parahybana 7-8 Inches
Nhandu Tripepii 7-8 Inches
Pamphobeteus Antinous 8-9 Inches
Pelinobius Muticus 7-8 Inches
Poecilotheria Regalis 7-8 Inches
Poecilotheria Ornata 8-9 Inches
Poecilotheria Rufilata 8-9 Inches
Psalmopoeus Cambridgei 6-7 Inches
Theraphosa blondi 9-10.5
Theraphosa Apophysis 9-10.5
Theraphosa Stirmi 9-10.5

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Are we talking just females?? Some males don't really reach these sizes if you see them in person. :rolleyes:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Ok, so how many if these T.'s do you own?? I can say that the species that I have are mostly accurate to this list. But I can't say all of these are accurate unless someone that owns the rest of the list can verify.

Derivative

Arachnosquire
Ok, so how many if these T.'s do you own?? I can say that the species that I have are mostly accurate to this list. But I can't say all of these are accurate unless someone that owns the rest of the list can verify.
I own an Avicularia Avicularia and an Grammostola Rosea lol

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Generally, two inches shy of, “...they get ________!” Seriously, as @Liquifin posted, your list appears pretty realistic.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I just hope I didn't exaggerate any sizes lol
Well, I have, or had in the past, many of the species listed. The leg span lengths you listed are the extremes of each species and even then there are factors to take into consideration such as how you measure and how old the individual spider is. Leg span lengths are always longer if measured diagonally and if you measure with legs stretched out to the max. One won't typically see the full extent of a tarantula's size while its alive in captivity since they hardly ever sit with all legs stretched out. The exception of course would be the arboreal species.

I always have a bit of a laugh when people list the huge leg spans of Theraphosa species. The largest tarantula I have ever seen, and still have in alcohol, is a male Theraphosa stirmi. When it died I took my tape measure to it and the diagonal leg span is 10 inches while measuring straight on one side is 9 inches. When it was alive, it never looked that big since it was always moving and resting with its legs scrunched up. The female Theraphosa stirmi I had, and also presently in alcohol, was sold to me as a whopping 11 inches and even came with a picture of it sitting on a 12 inch floor tile for proof of its size. After several molts and until its death many years after buying it and caring for it, it never reached more than an 8 inch leg span measured straight on one side. Never measured diagonally because I think that is a silly way to measure. Even if that tarantula in particular had a shorter leg span than what I was told it was, it's mass is enormous and still impressive.

So the sizes are not unrealistic for each of the species, but they are the extremes.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1. No apostrophe in the title. "Sizes" is multiple.

2. No capitalizing the species name.

3. You forgot Orange Bobs, at 5-5.5"

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Hi guys. I'm a new member here.

I really find this thread interesting. Size was something that I always had some doubts too. Imo, the sizes of the Ts we saw on the internet caresheets (for example) is an average measure of the adult female.

I'll give you guys an example, I had a C. versicolor that died with about 6.5in, I know she was big for the species and few individuals will get this size so if I make a caresheet with the size I got from the species, it will be completely innacurate.

Same goes for other species and, of course I think Avicularia avicularia (which is now has 6 or 7 morphs, braunshauseni included) should be kept with separated measures, lol.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
For what it's worth, my mature male G. porteri is about 5", maybe a little more. His last molt before he hooked out was 4.5"