real plants in setup

Shadow

Arachnopeon
is it better to use real plants in enclosures?, also where can i get some that are not treated with pesticides?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Plants are a great way to add humidity but plants do a lot more than add humidity....IF......you have the right ones. The only plants I would suggest is pothos.....they need little water....and actualy will survive with-out light or very little light. my pothos have grown 3-4" with vines branching out in about 3 months with a dusk/dawn light and no sunlight, they are in an interior room with no windows.. Plants also consume nitrates from the soil which is organic mater...so in a way they cleanse the soil. They also add oxygen to the air, I don't think it's enough to really consider it a benefit (Tarantulas don't breath as much as we do). but if the wrong plants are used you will have to water them constantly or they will die. bringing the potential for fungus...which could be worse than mites. I use live plants in every set-up I have with no problems. The problem most people have is they water their plants way too much, causing root-rot which causes fungus underneath the soil and eventually the whole plant and parts of the enclosure. I get my pothos at lowes or a nusery........Rob:)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It also depends on the spider, obviously not all tarantulas are compatible with all plants. I can't think of many that would be happy in a properly bone-dry Grammostola tank, for instance.

(Tarantulas don't breath as much as we do).
Oh jeez this is such a silly nitpick of mine but this drives me nuts: "breath" is a noun. You catch your breath. "Breathe" is a verb, tarantulas don't breathe as much as we do.

I had to. English major, you know, we're twitchy. :D

Shadow

Arachnopeon
well the 2 species i had in mind are my P.ornata and some P.irminia that im getting in next tuesday

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im thinking of getting a ficus tree for my Pokie. Its a hardwood common in Asian forests. I'll likly put a bed of stones on the bottom of the tank, then soil to plant it in...then vinyl screening with smaller stones and coco-fiber for the surface. The top layer of stone and mesh would to prevent my roaches from burrowing. The bottom layer of stones would provide drainage and hopefully deter the roots from growing down into standing water to rot. I might add mesh between the bottom of the soil and the bottom layer of stones.

The pothos plants(I assume vines) may be a good addition too, especially if I cant get a living tree in there. I could use a nice piece of wood and grow the vines amongst the branches to provide simulated tree foliage.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah for live plants....what Robc said. He is the master gardner/T keeper! :clap:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh jeez this is such a silly nitpick of mine but this drives me nuts: "breath" is a noun. You catch your breath. "Breathe" is a verb, tarantulas don't breathe as much as we do.

I had to. English major, you know, we're twitchy. :D
You got me......LOL

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am designing a 7ft by 4ft pokie tank......it will be crazy......rob

Ah nuts!! You're going to beat me to it. I was planning to build a nice and tall arboreal set up for my pokie. Though I dont think I was thinking 7ft:clap: I was thinking maybe 4-5ft tall maybe with a 2-3ft wide hexagon or octagon.

I'd love to see how you put it together. For mine, I wanted a false bottom with a pull out tray to collect water. Complete with automatic misters, lights and ventilation fans...maybe a fogger too.

scolex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use both, but on my display cages I use Live. I suggest the same live plants you would use on Dart Frogs. I have an African Violet in my setup right now. Blackgungle.com comes to mind. Never order from them though.