1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ready to breed?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ChaelP, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnolord Active Member

Montreal
    Advertisement
    This seems most likely. But there are always exceptions, I have seen some unusually fast growth rates within my own specimens. Even from arid species.
    You can see the spermathecae on the first molt to the left if you zoom in. The spider is definitely female. And females can definitely outpace males, seen it with multiple species.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    Interesting, I’ve always heard it the other way around.

3. iPocalyspe

iPocalyspe Arachnopeon Active Member

Males typically out grow females, I believe he meant it isn't unheard of that a female may outpace a male.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

Sure, we all have.....but nothing even close to an adult female molting on a cycle as fast or faster than a typical sling sling.......I mean, it would have molted many months ahead of the norm....I just don't see how a mature GBB would be able to not only grow a new exoskeleton so quick, much prepare to and molt after that fact....and gain an inch and a half during that time. I mean, did it get bit by a radioactive cricket...lol.:woot:

Keep in mind my room is about 80 all the time, so I generally see crazy growth rates as the norm...but never anything like this. 2.5-5" in 3 molts, over the course of just 6 months...:bored:

My AF for example went from 4-4.25 in just 4 and a half months....next cycle it jumped to 4.75"....but it took 341 days for that molt cycle.....and its still not quite 5".

I think the mistake here, the one mattering most, is the age from the dealer (and I am sure an honest slip of the tongue)....and we all know, age isn't as relevant as size. But the 2.5-5" in that [relatively] short time is simply baffling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cold blood

It can really go either way....I have had a lot of females grow at much faster rates than the norm. I actually find the slowest growers to most often be males...they tend to catch up with big gains on the ultimate molt.

6. cold blood

This little piece of thought just might be the piece that solved the puzzle. If its cm and not inches, it all makes TOTAL sense....and the t wouldn't be near mature yet.

7. ChaelP

ChaelP Arachnosquire

even if the info the breeder said was "wrong", she molted 3 times in 3 months. from 2.5". So she may not be 6months, but definitely very close considering her growth rate. I too am surprised, thats why im wondering if shes ols enough to mate. Temps here are 95-100 each day, easily.

Heres a picture of her size. not even DLS

Attached Files:

8. ChaelP

ChaelP Arachnosquire

look at the tape measure.. its in inches...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. cold blood

Ok, so not that....btw, it doesn't say which unit of measurement is being used....1 2 3 4 could be cm or in.

Ok, so the tape shows 4", not 5", that makes more sense...I would wait two full molt cycles before breeding her...Wait for her to both get close to 5", and have lengthened her molt cycles...like kezy said, the pace she's molting wouldn't allow for the production of the eggs, much less holding the sac for 30-50 days.

10. ChaelP

ChaelP Arachnosquire

the tape measure shows 4.5", and not even in DLS. DLS would be longer, making her easily 5". Anyway thanks. yes ill wait for another molt before trying to pair her

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. cold blood

I don't agree...lol...looks a hair over 4....regardless, I would wait two molt cycles....her molt cycle needs to be lots lots longer to even make breeding feasible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. cold blood

Sorry about the :troll: icon in my first post BTW.....my apologies.

13. ChaelP

ChaelP Arachnosquire

4.5" without fully stretching her legs.

Attached Files:

14. ChaelP

ChaelP Arachnosquire

oops bad resolution. here

Attached Files:

15. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnodemon Active Member

Entire moult history of my 4 inch DLS female who was purchased in July 2016 as a 2cm sling (she moulted in transit so arrival date is the first moult date), average temps around 25C/77F.

Screenshot_2018-01-13-06-27-38.png

OP, yours won't be mature yet, wait at least another moult before attempting breeding.

16. iPocalyspe

iPocalyspe Arachnopeon Active Member

What did I get wrong? I've heard males grow faster than females? Females normally grow larger but slower