ready to breed?

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
i bought a 2.5" gbb a few months ago and since molted three times in my care. Now, a 5" DLS female, im wondering if shes ready for breeding considering shes only 5-6months old.
Molt dates:
October 1
November 7
December 24
Shes definitely the right size for breeding but i dont know if shes the right age. I heard somewhere they need to reach a certain age before theyre ready to mate.
Thanks in advance

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Those moult dates are awfully close. Seems ridiculously fast growth for C. cyaneopubescens, even for a male.

A 5" GBB should be ready for breeding. But this growth has me wondering.

Did you examine the spermathecae to see if it has developed enough for breeding? They dont need to be a certain age. They just need to have grown and developed enough.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
i bought a 2.5" gbb a few months ago and since molted three times in my care. Now, a 5" DLS female, im wondering if shes ready for breeding considering shes only 5-6months old.
Molt dates:
October 1
November 7
December 24
Shes definitely the right size for breeding but i dont know if shes the right age. I heard somewhere they need to reach a certain age before theyre ready to mate.
Thanks in advance
Your spider is older than 5 months.

cold blood

Staff member
Molt dates:
October 1
November 7
December 24
impossible

I smell a :troll:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Molt dates:
October 1
November 7
December 24
Thanks in advance
Post pics of the latest molt and spermathecae. At 5" C.cyaneopubescens should be sexually mature.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If molting monthly it wouldnt even have time to condition, pair and drop sac. That would take several months.

As @cold blood said, impossible. Nature doesnt work like that.

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
5cm dls is more like it. My GBB molts monthly when they are slings. Post a picture of your spider.

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
breeder said sac was around july or aug 2017. so yeah believe it or not shes now the size she is. and molt dates were accurate.. heres the last 2 molts

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
breeder said sac was around july or aug 2017. so yeah believe it or not shes now the size she is. and molt dates were accurate.. heres the last 2 molts
Something does not seem right. A six month old Tarantula of that species would not be that large so soon.

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
Something does not seem right. A six month old Tarantula of that species would not be that large so soon.
i also have a 6" l.p who has a weird molt cycle
molt dates:
July 13 2017
Oct 5 2017
Jan 4 2018
maybe the high temp here, i dont know. but those dates are accurate

other than those 2, my other tarantulas motling cycle seems normal

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
i also have a 6" l.p who has a weird molt cycle
molt dates:
July 13 2017
Oct 5 2017
Jan 4 2018
maybe the high temp here, i dont know. but those dates are accurate

other than those 2, my other tarantulas motling cycle seems normal

iPocalyspe

Arachnopeon
It is quite possible you have a genetic oddity in your possession. I am interested to find out what her slings growth rate will be.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I believe it. She appears to be roughly 3.5" on the last molt. I wouldn't try breeding just yet, next molt she should be good to go.

cold blood

Staff member
It couldn't have happened as described, its biologically impossible...as evidenced by you claiming a 5" t, and showing a last molt of 3.5"...you want us to believe a female grew to 5" and matured in a single molt from 3.5"...and at only 6 months of age?

When you got it at 2.5", it was likely about a year old at that point, regardless of what you were told. I'd bet there was just a simple screw up and the breeder meant it was hatched 2016 and not 2017.

There's something we are missing here.....I'm not saying you are lying, but there's something else we aren't privy to here.

A 5" female would certainly be mature, but I highly doubt that's what you have....you more than likely had been given a juvie male (and were just told it was female)...and 3.5-5" in a maturing molt would actually not only be possible, but expected.....The faster molt cycles would also be explained at those sizes.

so post pics of your spider so we can rule out that its not a MM....cause I am betting that's the case. Literally the only explanation is that you now have a MM....so don't pair him with another MM.

iPocalyspe

Arachnopeon
It couldn't have happened as described, its biologically impossible...as evidenced by you claiming a 5" t, and showing a last molt of 3.5"...you want us to believe a female grew to 5" and matured in a single molt from 3.5"...and at only 6 months of age?

When you got it at 2.5", it was likely about a year old at that point, regardless of what you were told. I'd bet there was just a simple screw up and the breeder meant it was hatched 2016 and not 2017.

There's something we are missing here.....I'm not saying you are lying, but there's something else we aren't privy to here.

A 5" female would certainly be mature, but I highly doubt that's what you have....you more than likely had been given a juvie male (and were just told it was female)...and 3.5-5" in a maturing molt would actually not only be possible, but expected.....The faster molt cycles would also be explained at those sizes.

so post pics of your spider so we can rule out that its not a MM....cause I am betting that's the case. Literally the only explanation is that you now have a MM....so don't pair him with another MM.
He didn't measure the molt DSL that would give it some extra length, and biologically a lot of crazy mutations can occur. Ther are many variables.

cold blood

Staff member
He didn't measure the molt DSL that would give it some extra length, and biologically a lot of crazy mutations can occur. Ther are many variables.
post #10 Last two molts are right next to a ruler.

iPocalyspe

Arachnopeon
post #10 Last two molts are right next to a ruler.
Ruler is going down their side rather than the Diagonal Leg Span. With some rough estimation and the Pythagorean theorem,
Side of the Molt ~ 3.5”
Rear of the Molt ~ 2.5”
Diagonal ~ 4.3”