ready to breed??

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i know that this is been posted a 100000 times but i am look for some fresh replys. how do i know if my female is ready to mate. i would like to try to breed her. so far i have been only holding and looking at her. but i sometimes has to go away for a few months at a time, and i may have missed the signs if there are any. the same goes for my zebra.

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im not an expert at this but one way that you could possibly tell is if the tarantula has reached its full grown size, and molts once every year to year and a half. ok i dont wanna give you any wrong info so you experts out there back me up!!!....

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
molting

i have had her for more then a year and half and she never molted yet. this pic should help to see how big she is.

Attachments

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you asked for help and help is here... female t's (not all the time) mature at a much smaller size then we think... i say from experience, trust me... you will see in around a month's time :D

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
i have had her for more then a year and half and she never molted yet. this pic should help to see how big she is.
i can't say for sure it's ready but i have a strong feeling you will be able to get a sac from her.. best thing to do is try, or look at a molt for reproductive organs..

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If she hasn't molted in a year and a half chances are she will molt before she can produce a sack. It is usually best to try around three months or so after the female molts so that you have plenty of time before she molts again as well as giving her enough time after molting for the mating attempt to do any good.

Phil

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
da illest

you think that she will molt in a month or so. i hope cos i had her a long time. and where on the molt do i look for the reproductive orgains. i know that the male reporductive orgain is the palpal bulb at the end of the pedipalp. is the reporductive orgain in the pedipalp on the female?

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
is the reporductive orgain in the pedipalp on the female?
No, what you're looking for is a "leaf" located between the book lungs. I'll try to find a guide for you.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no leaf

i just picked her up and it is too hairy to see anything that looks like a leaf. i am pretty sure it is a female cos she dont have palpal bulbs or the so called tibial spurs(do roseys get these?).

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A small guide on sexing a cast exuvium here. Look at the pictures of the albopilosum and the smithi. There is a circle where what you are looking for is located.

You can learn a faster, but less reliable method here.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
i just picked her up and it is too hairy to see anything that looks like a leaf.
Hehe, you will not find any there I hope, the "leaf" is on the inside of the exuvium, thus the tarantula must moult first.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im stupid

thanks. i jump to conclusions(my family,friends,and girlfriend says anyway). for a sec i though i had a male. is this exuvium the skin of the abdomem? it would take a keen eye to see this

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The exuvium is the entire thing, legs and all, but you only need the abdomen for sexing.
Unless you have a shed exuvium laying around, I would concentrate more on the other method, link provided in post #11.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry

i jumped pass post 11 (never say it) i just destored the only adult molt that i had(it was my zebra)it was a year old and i guess it was to brittle. thanks for your help Overmenneske you have been very helpfull. i will have to wait for another molt i guess.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is what you are looking for inside a moult to indicate a female.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks.

those white things on the sides are they the book lung openings?