Re-using heat pad?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Lately I have been researching different snakes I would like to purchase. I have a spare 10 gallon tank laying around and it had a heat pad on the side for some reason. I took it off and put it on the bottom and it heated up just fine. Is it a safety hazard to use it like this? Or should I get a new one?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
ID the pad. Can't tell you without knowing the chemical reaction involved.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lately I have been researching different snakes I would like to purchase. I have a spare 10 gallon tank laying around and it had a heat pad on the side for some reason. I took it off and put it on the bottom and it heated up just fine. Is it a safety hazard to use it like this? Or should I get a new one?
No it isn't. @The Snark sounds confused on what you are actually using.

You can remount UTH's all the time provided the wires aren't damaged. I take it you have never owned snake before? As we snake owners use UTHs all the time ;)

The best UTHs are Ultratherms, they are so long lasting and safe too, been using the same ones for 20 years.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I never owned a snake before! I’m looking into a first snake but people are telling me I’m crazy for wanting a Waglers viper. Probably a bad idea so I may just start with something fiesty and non-venomous. Thanks for the help it’s gonna save me a good chunk of change.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Waglers viper
Have you had extensive experience with animals that have radar which is on 24 hours a day and can strike much faster than you could possibly react?

Back in my college daze, assisting the guy feeding rattlers. He was dropping the pinks in with tongs then suddenly jerked his hand back. "WHOA!" Staring straight at the snake neither he nor I saw the strike. He only felt the air pressure on the back of his hand.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I never owned a snake before! I’m looking into a first snake but people are telling me I’m crazy for wanting a Waglers viper. Probably a bad idea so I may just start with something fiesty and non-venomous. Thanks for the help it’s gonna save me a good chunk of change.
You lack a significant amount of common sense. You shouldn't own any exotic animals.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Yea okay dude that’s why I blatantly put “probably a bad idea” you should probably think before posting your comments more often.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea okay dude that’s why I blatantly put “probably a bad idea” you should probably think before posting your comments more often.
I did both first. :p Your thought of getting a hots before ever owning a snake at all, is just ridiculous. No responsible person interested in reptiles in their right mind thinks this, let alone does it.

"Probably" a bad idea? No it is a bad idea. You should follow your own advice.

Your idea is a lot like saying "I'm going to learn how to drive a top-fuel dragster first, before I get my license, and afterwards, maybe I'll learn how to drive a go-kart" :D

Your post had me dying of laughter over here.

Have a great day!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
To each their own. Just try not to get tagged;)

Honestly, I don’t see myself ever owning a hot snake. If the only thing interesting about the animal is the venom potency, that novelty will wear off eventually. You’ll go to realize that they are not much different from many other species. You just have to be on guard when you do anything around them.

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
What snake are you thinking of getting? Can't think of many that would live in a 10 gallon their entire life.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
It'll work the same... Only thing would be if you need to stick it to the side the sticker part won't work as well.