1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re using corkbark and other items.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by PhilMcWonder, Dec 6, 2018.

1. PhilMcWonder

PhilMcWonder Arachnosquire Active Member

Texas
    Advertisement
    If I find a log, corkbark piece, plant, ect, that i think works better in another enclosure
    (EX: Bark from scorpion's tank moved to a future tarantula tank)
    Is it safe for me to move it from one enclosure to another? Or will it cause issues?

2. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnodemon Active Member

Norway
    Just wash it well under the sink and you will be fine :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

I re-use stuff all the time - hides, water dishes, cork bark and tubes. I just wash 'em under the sink - and if I'm moving it from a spider enclosure to a non-spider enclosure, I take a little extra care to remove any stray webbing. I've never had any problems with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

I recycle pretty much everything. Always recycle bark

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

I do re-use the previous cork bark (I'm a huge fan of cork bark, btw) when I have to rehouse/cage upgrade but always for the invert in question -- example, if I have to rehouse a C.cyaneopubescens because he/she needs a bigger enclosure, I simply took off from the previous enclosure the cork bark, and I add that to the new one. This helps the spider settle better, especially if there's his/her web present (and obviously is present with certain species) on said cork bark.

Personally I would never use the cork bark I've used for a spider (no matter which species) for the set up for the enclosure of another invert (scorpions; 'pedes) or for that matter for another, different, spider. Mind, that's just a view of mine (helped even by the fact that, here in Italy, cork bark is laughable cheap and of good quality), ain't saying that's wrong.

Anyway, my advice: while everything else can be 'recycled' (water dish; fake leaves well cleaned etc) with cork bark isn't a great idea to put that wood in water/under water for 'cleaning' that.

I keep all of my cork bark I have inside my enclosures bone dry, even in those enclosures where there's inside Asian, certain Africans and certain NW's arachnids that need a more higher level of moist substrate for thrive.

6. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I reuse cork bark all the time...no issues. What Italian craziness have you got there?

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. maroonZB

maroonZB Arachnopeon

Unlikely that it would cause issues, but in most areas of veterinary care it's a big no-no to transfer non-sanitized articles from one cage to another. Since we don't know what kinds of viral and bacterial diseases tarantulas can or can't get, I wouldn't do it personally.

8. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Never said that there's issues into reusing cork bark. In fact I do that as well :)

Just that I don't reuse a piece of cork that was into 'spider X' enclosure for 'spider Y'. It's a thing of mine :pompous:

9. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I just don't like the idea of having cork bark covered in urt hairs hanging out with my supplies. I've thought about giving them a quick once-over with a blow torch to burn off the hairs, but I don't know if that would leave some kind of residue?

10. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

I always reuse supplies and never do more than take off any webbing by hand or with a little rinsing.

While I generally agree with this (I have a lot of dogs and transfer of items between kennels isn't done), I am less concerned with captive bred spiders that are fed feeders I breed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

I've reused entire enclosures (remove spood, picked out most of the old webbing, put in a fresh water dish, put new spood in) before without issue.

If I reuse bark I just give it a quick brush off, bun rinsing/drying it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    Just don't use cork bark that has been in with a NW T in a reptile enclosure, etc. Urticating hairs are small, but it doesn't mean that they don't exist....

13. grayzone

grayzone Arachnoking Active Member

I personally TRY to clean off the cork or decor before introducing it to another t, but sometimes im lazy.
    Hell, sometimes ill put a new t straight into an enclosure one just left.

Theres never been any problems other than a t appearing a little "uneasy" or cautious at first and taking their time in settling in... but thats likely overthinking the situation because they display the same behavior anytime being rehoused.

14. antinous

antinous Pamphoprince Arachnosupporter

I was thinking about doing that, especially since a couple of my enclosures have a large number of springtails and they do a pretty good job of keeping everything clean.

• Like Like x 2
  15. grayzone

grayzone Arachnoking Active Member

... it wont hurt anybody... assuming youve had your spiders a while and are confident theyre in seemingly good health...