Rate my sling enclosure please :)

FitzzSimmons

Arachnosquire
Hi guys,
After feeding my C.versicolor (1cm) 3-4 i felt like she needed a bigger space so i made a quick DIY enclosure. This is my second DIY enclosure so i'm sure I've made some mistakes here and there so any criticism/feedback would be much appreciated. 20180512_110338.jpg

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
Hi guys,
After feeding my C.versicolor (1cm) 3-4 i felt like she needed a bigger space so i made a quick DIY enclosure. This is my second DIY enclosure so i'm sure I've made some mistakes here and there so any criticism/feedback would be much appreciated. View attachment 275091
Looks alright but I think it could do with a bit more ventilation.

Also your thread might get moved to http://arachnoboards.com/forums/vivariums-and-terrariums.81/ I think that is where they want enclosure threads.

FitzzSimmons

Arachnosquire
Looks alright but I think it could do with a bit more ventilation.

Also your thread might get moved to http://arachnoboards.com/forums/vivariums-and-terrariums.81/ I think that is where they want enclosure threads.
I have 11 on each side its just on 2 sides i have the holes clustered because i was told it creates better cross ventilation. And there are 20 holes on the lid as well. but i will add some more just to be on the safe side :)

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
I would reduce to substrate to only about an inch, and get smaller leaves which are glued to the cork bark.

FitzzSimmons

Arachnosquire
I would reduce to substrate to only about an inch, and get smaller leaves which are glued to the cork bark.
i don't have a hot glue gun and i tried looking everywhere for smaller plants but they seem almost impossible to find.

cold blood

Staff member
The set up its self looks good, but I would never use that particular enclosure. Why? The top is necked down...this makes maintenance more difficult as well as the eventual re-house. You may have to actually cut the whole top part off to get the t back out. It also isn't as easy to add ventilation.

I personally prefer a 32oz deli cup (or even a 16oz) to all other enclosures.

I have 11 on each side its just on 2 sides i have the holes clustered because i was told it creates better cross ventilation. And there are 20 holes on the lid as well. but i will add some more just to be on the safe side :)
Frankly the vent should be primarily on the sides, not the lid. I would only recommend 3 or 4 holes on the top.
Aquarium plants work as well, I utilize them quite often.
agree...cheap and they come in a wide variety and are easily cut to fit almost any situation.

FitzzSimmons

Arachnosquire
The set up its self looks good, but I would never use that particular enclosure. Why? The top is necked down...this makes maintenance more difficult as well as the eventual re-house. You may have to actually cut the whole top part off to get the t back out. It also isn't as easy to add ventilation.

I personally prefer a 32oz deli cup (or even a 16oz) to all other enclosures.

Frankly the vent should be primarily on the sides, not the lid. I would only recommend 3 or 4 holes on the top.
agree...cheap and they come in a wide variety and are easily cut to fit almost any situation.
I mean i have both 16oz and 32oz, but i didn't use 16oz because it didn't look narrow enough for an arboreal. I mean i could try a 32oz instead. Also how much substrate should i be using because i have walked in on the tiny guy falling all the time and he just gets right back up and climbs on the side and i'm scared he is gonna fall and hurt himself. I mean the enclosure is much smaller than a 32oz which is why im a bit sceptical to use a 32oz since it has a greater height.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
i don't have a hot glue gun and i tried looking everywhere for smaller plants but they seem almost impossible to find.
Do you have a B&M near you? That's where I get my smaller plants from, they cost about £3 each.

They look like this (there are other types but the only difference is the shape of the leaves).

DSC00001.JPG

And come apart to give you a ton of these.

DSC00002.JPG

I use them in a lot of enclosures.

View media item 49697View media item 49256View media item 49081View media item 48289View media item 48286

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I do the same as @The Grym Reaper ;)
About enclosure, too much substrate, and it is too much tightly packed with decorations. You will have problems reaching inside to remove leftovers, refill waterdish (which is too big also imo), when spiders starts to web.

FitzzSimmons

Arachnosquire
too much substrate, and it is too much tightly packed with decorations.
But he keeps falling from quite high levels of the enclosure so wouldn't less subtrate be dangerous? And i'm assuming in terms of decorations i should get a smaller plant then?

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
If he keeps falling it is probably pre molt. It is arboreal species, in nature they lives high in trees. In such a small enclosure it shouldn't be dangerous.
Smaller plant, and smaller cork bark, and smaller waterdish, or a bigger enclosure, that is what I would do.

FitzzSimmons

Arachnosquire
If he keeps falling it is probably pre molt. It is arboreal species, in nature they lives high in trees. In such a small enclosure it shouldn't be dangerous.
Smaller plant, and smaller cork bark, and smaller waterdish, or a bigger enclosure, that is what I would do.
I took out the original plant and found a much smaller one. I cut the original corkbark in half and put both the plant and corkbark on one side of the enclosure so there is the other half to drop in food and water dish. I also decreased the amount of substrate on one side so it slopes more. If this is still wrong please let me know so i can adjust more because this is my most precious T that i own :)
P.S You can see what i mean about him falling from quite high up, in the top right you can see him and he is very high up. Also i checked around my whole house and i couldn't find anything that was smaller than the current water dish i'm using.

20180513_132811.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I mean i have both 16oz and 32oz, but i didn't use 16oz because it didn't look narrow enough for an arboreal. I mean i could try a 32oz instead. Also how much substrate should i be using because i have walked in on the tiny guy falling all the time and he just gets right back up and climbs on the side and i'm scared he is gonna fall and hurt himself. I mean the enclosure is much smaller than a 32oz which is why im a bit sceptical to use a 32oz since it has a greater height.

16 oz deli is perfect for a small one

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
The inside setup is okay but if that is all the ventilation on the jar I'd add quite a bit more.