Rate My Setup?

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
I’m preparing for an Alipes grandidieri (first pede! yay me:smug:) and I’ve finally found an enclosure I think will be secure enough. It’s a Great Choice Critter Tote (petsmart’s version of a KK) and is about 15”x9”x10”. I’ve got 3ish inches of potting soil/eco earth/sphagnum moss mix, a cork hide, and a wide, shallow water dish. My main concern, however, is ventilation. Like KK’s tend to be, this thing is extremely well-ventilated. What do you guys think is the best way for me to cut some of that ventilation off?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Rating would be easier if there was a picture. Description is good, but pictures will give a clear idea of what you have in mind. :snaphappy:

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
here’s some pics! sorry about the quality, i’m not home ATM and these are the only pics on my phone. 5051952F-902C-4E30-B0DE-A17740A02A39.jpeg 0EB04097-00D4-4D10-9E17-0511F878B206.jpeg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
here’s some pics! sorry about the quality, i’m not home ATM and these are the only pics on my phone. View attachment 268698 View attachment 268699
how big is the Alipes grandidieri??? they are a burrowing species I believe. Although I don't have this species of cenitpede (Lucky for you). They do like making tunnels like most centipedes. So for a small 1.5''-2'' Alipes grandidieri, it wouldn't be too bad. For larger ones 3'' or larger, I recommend having at least 6-7 inches. but 8-12 inches would appreciated. I give my centipedes a little more substrate than most centipede keepers. Although I don't see them much, at least they are happy enough to make tunnels :).

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Will do! The pede in question is about 4”, so I’ll add some more sub. My only reason for being reluctant to do so was the possibility of the critter escaping, as pedes do.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I think the only way it could escape would be to push up the clear plastic but If I remember correctly it locks so as long as you're aware of where the animal is when you're doing maintenance I think adding more substrate would be the right move. While 8 inches would be appreciated by the pede, you could get away with 5 or 6 easily. It's up to you how much more you want to add.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
I think adding more substrate would be the right move. While 8 inches would be appreciated by the pede, you could get away with 5 or 6 easily. It's up to you how much more you want to add.
Will do! Just have to go and grab some more soil so my mix doesn’t get too eco earth-y

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Will do! Just have to go and grab some more soil so my mix doesn’t get too eco earth-y
I use only coco fiber and as long as you pack it down it holds burrows just fine. The only problem I've had is mold but I've got some springtails to take care of that now.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
It can escape if it wants to. Kritter Keepers are notoriously bad at containing 'pedes, and Alipes are just about the skinniest 'pedes in the hobby. They aren't that long, and due to their modified terminals can't rear up as high as similarly sized Scolopendra, but all centipedes are very good at getting away. There is also a bit too much airflow as you noticed, which may lead to dry sub that may make it more likely to escape. Alipes do not need extremely high humidity like S. dehaani or similar, but they do enjoy a moist environment. The substrate and decorations look fine, you can add mix in a few spoonfuls of sand to the sub to make it more fit for burrowing but that isn't totally necessary. Only add a little more sub, 3.5-4" is fine for a small 'pede. Alipes are found in shallow grassy areas and under bark in their native scrub/forest habitat, so anything more just risks escape without doing too much for the centipede.

I keep my 'pedes in plastic tubs with locking lids. These are much better at preventing escapes and keeping in humidity, and while they don't look nearly as nice as a KK the opaqueness and customizability make it a more comfortable enclosure for 'pedes and people. You will need to add many holes to the lid though.

That said, if you don't want to change anything, this enclosure will work fine if you mist often and keep a close eye on it. It might be best to keep this container in a larger container that the 'pede definitely can't escape from, which will contain it in case an unlikely escape happens so you can make whatever changes needed.

I'm glad you'll be getting your first 'pede. Alipes can be jumpy and very fast, but also burrow and hide a lot. Be careful. (Also listen for the defensive hiss. The terminals can stridulate like a mini rattlesnake!)

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
(Also listen for the defensive hiss. The terminals can stridulate like a mini rattlesnake!)
Due to how little Alipes info there is online, I’ve seen the vid of one stridulating too many times to count :wacky: do you think that putting saran wrap between (part of) the lid and the enclosure itself could help to keep humidity up a little? Not a ridiculous amount obviously, but a sufficient one. And on that same note, would it help to prevent escapes?

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Due to how little Alipes info there is online, I’ve seen the vid of one stridulating too many times to count :wacky: do you think that putting saran wrap between (part of) the lid and the enclosure itself could help to keep humidity up a little? Not a ridiculous amount obviously, but a sufficient one. And on that same note, would it help to prevent escapes?
Yes for humidity, no for escapes. If a pede of the size you're talking about reaches that lid, my guess is you'll never see it again.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Yes for humidity, no for escapes. If a pede of the size you're talking about reaches that lid, my guess is you'll never see it again.
Got it. I’ll probably run out and grab a good bin this week, as the Alipes isn’t coming for a while (this weather tho:shifty:) but I’d still like your input on one thing. Browsing through youtube, I found an A. grandidieri rehouse video. Nothing too special, but this guy kept his in a KK-style enclosure as well, but seemed to have put mesh in between the lid and the container itself. As I said, I’m going to go out and get a bin, but do you think that the mesh under the lid is a viable method to prevent escapes?

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
Compared to some other setups I have seen, on a scale 1-10, I'll give it a 4.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Congrats on the new pede, but the enclosures gotta get a few changes. I’ve got the exact same enclosure that you use and I can say that the lid isn’t moving, but the centipede squeezing out the air slots is. I’d add more substrate and if humidity is truly an issue I’d get a different enclosure. Walmart has this new model, ID Latch, and I love it. Perfection for all centipedes.

I have no idea how to disable the italics without leaving bold on so I’ll just keep both on ;)

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Got it. I’ll probably run out and grab a good bin this week, as the Alipes isn’t coming for a while (this weather tho:shifty:) but I’d still like your input on one thing. Browsing through youtube, I found an A. grandidieri rehouse video. Nothing too special, but this guy kept his in a KK-style enclosure as well, but seemed to have put mesh in between the lid and the container itself. As I said, I’m going to go out and get a bin, but do you think that the mesh under the lid is a viable method to prevent escapes?
Many people have horror stories of centipedes biting through metal mesh which is highly unlikely, but if the mesh is fabric then the 'pede will chew through it. In this case, adding more material, especially saran wrap or mesh, will allow the 'pede to get a hold of the lid more easily than even an unmodified KK. (They can and will use their forcipules to climb... like a parrot using its beak.)

The best method of 'pede-proofing a KK would be to put duct tape over most of the holes from the inside and outside, only leaving the most inaccessible holes uncovered and taping over the edges of the original tape to prevent a 'pede finding a foothold.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Yes, that would work. I have something similar with a plastic container which I felt wasn't secure. The only thing is make sure to use steel mesh, not aluminium - here's a video of a tarantula chewing through one of those on youtube! As a bonus you may well find that your pede really enjoys climbing around and hanging upside down on the mesh.

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
Not bad. Quite roomy actually! A lot of keepers mix in sand with the soil but it isn't necessary. Unfortunately my favorite centipede cage isn't made anymore but you can find some on amazon still.... Tom ClearVue. They have latching lids with minimal ventilation (but enough) and the lids and sides are crystal clear! Downside is they are very loud when opening and closing, and there is no smaller door option.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Alright, sorry for the absence! Just thought that I should let you all know I’ve picked upa 25qt (24 L) sterilite bin with a locking lid! No pics for now, as I’m heading to bed, but I’m adding ventilation, hides, sub, water dish, and some live moss to the new enclosure tomorrow. As for the KK, it’ll find its use. Maybe I’ll finally give in and get a T:smug: