Rare Tarantulas

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
One ridiculously rare (and ridiculously gorgeous) tarantula brought to my attention by a similar post on Arachnoboards Facebook is Munduruku bicoloratum.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is there a link?
Moderator note: We don't allow links to online stores, dealers, or ads on the discussion boards (as they are akin to endorsements or advertisements), although members are free to share such links via private message.

CaseyG

Arachnopeon
Just out of curiosity, what species are currently considered "rare" in the hobby, and/or highly coveted by keepers?

As an example, I noticed a recent spike in G. pulchra availability. When I bought mine, they were extremely hard to find, and now it seems like they're popping up for sale everywhere. I've only been at this for less than two years, so I'm wondering if long-time keepers can speak to how common it is for availability of species to fluctuate like this.
I know this is old but I was curious if you learned of rare species besides what was named here? Most of the ones named here are easily able to be bought here in the US, some are just pricey. Unless pricey equals rare? The pelinobius muticus is especially easy and cheap to find. So I found those comments confusing. If you did learn of more please let me know!

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
pelinobius muticus is especially easy and cheap to find
They were saying “Pelinobius muticus surfacious” as in they never come out of the burrow, they’re not actually rare but an example of a rare one is H. chilensesis

DustyD

Arachnoknight
They were saying “Pelinobius muticus surfacious” as in they never come out of the burrow, they’re not actually rare but an example of a rare one is H. chilensesis
Yeah, H. chilensis seems hard to find in the US at least. Rarely offered. I heard they can be hard to breed and very very slow growers.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Just out of curiosity, what species are currently considered "rare" in the hobby, and/or highly coveted by keepers?

As an example, I noticed a recent spike in G. pulchra availability. When I bought mine, they were extremely hard to find, and now it seems like they're popping up for sale everywhere. I've only been at this for less than two years, so I'm wondering if long-time keepers can speak to how common it is for availability of species to fluctuate like this.
In roughly 15 months L.parahybahna will be rare.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Anyone get an update on rare species? Since I'm not the one that resurrected the thread I don't feel as bad. Anyway, I'd be interested to see what's changed in the last few years as far as species availability and rarity.

I just acquired a Poecilotheria smithi and a Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica. The smithi being extremely endangered in the wild, with fewer than 9 specimens found in 2016? I forget the date. But I'm not sure about rarity of them in the US hobby. I also acquired a OBT Zimbabwe/Botswana and it was pretty tough to find one of those in the US.

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
I was going to mention the OBT Zimbabwe but I feel that Sericopelma sp Santa Catalina is rare