Arachnopeon
Here in the USA

Psalmopoeus Emeraldus
Psalmopoeus victorii
Psalmopoeus langenbucheri
Aphonopelma moorei

Thrixopelma cyaneolum

And I can't ever see these two available
even though they come from the USA/Mexico and users post pictures sometimes.
Aphonopelma bicoloratum
Aphonopelma moderatum
Everytime I see any of the psalmopoeus species mentioned for sale, the seller is in Canada. If I were a younger man, I'd be definitely sneaking across the border. Haha

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I own a Hog Island Boa as well. I think they are gorgeous. I love how they change to a hypomelanistic look at night quite frequently.

I don't know about EU, but sadly in the USA, people have been crossing the Hog with normal BCI's in order to get the salmon pinks and orange saddles a bit. The progeny tend to look just like Hogs and sadly unscrupulous dealers sell them as Hogs.
I've been interested in Hogs for a while, but the reason I won't buy one is because of the hybridization you've mentioned. I have a hypo red tail boa that I got as a rescue, but I have declined breeding invitations because I cannot attest to her genetics. Boas in the states are extremely hybridized.

boina

Lady of the mites
I own a Hog Island Boa as well. I think they are gorgeous. I love how they change to a hypomelanistic look at night quite frequently.

I don't know about EU, but sadly in the USA, people have been crossing the Hog with normal BCI's in order to get the salmon pinks and orange saddles a bit. The progeny tend to look just like Hogs and sadly unscrupulous dealers sell them as Hogs.
I didn't really keep up with snake breeding around here, but I know that a lot of new Boa "morphs" have enterend the scene in the last years. I got mine as a gift, but I used to think it is pure since the breeder only had Hogs. Nowadays I'm not that sure anymore since she's already at least 6 feet, but hey, there are somewhat larger Hogs around.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Not really expensive but rare
Thrixopelma sp cajamarca
Thrixopelma cyaneolum (males don't exist) if you don't believe me take a poll of T cyaneolum owners and ask male or female then sit back and watch.

Other rare species here in Europe have been mentioned although the prices are different from country to country
I also knew of two-three males in the US, the one Kelly Swift used to make a sac many years ago and one I tried to get my hands on recently but he got eaten by the guy who was first in line for him to be loaned too. I believe Paul Becker got one too but idk how that pairing went.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't really keep up with snake breeding around here, but I know that a lot of new Boa "morphs" have enterend the scene in the last years. I got mine as a gift, but I used to think it is pure since the breeder only had Hogs. Nowadays I'm not that sure anymore since she's already at least 6 feet, but hey, there are somewhat larger Hogs around.
Hogs generally range from 4-6 ft

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been interested in Hogs for a while, but the reason I won't buy one is because of the hybridization you've mentioned. I have a hypo red tail boa that I got as a rescue, but I have declined breeding invitations because I cannot attest to her genetics. Boas in the states are extremely hybridized.
Yes it's a real problem. You really have to buy a Hog from a person who is known to breed Hogs, a truly reputable dealer, not just some snake on a table at a show. I've seen some gorgeous animals that were hybrids of varying types.

Probably THE best expert out there on small, insular boas now is Vinny Russo, google, and email him. In that email I would ask (unsure if he will provide this) if he's going to produce any, and if not, who would he recommend. Mention your concern about hybrids etc.

There are some other Hog breeders out there, but I do not know who they are, I come across them at herp shows.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I also knew of two-three males in the US, the one Kelly Swift used to make a sac many years ago and one I tried to get my hands on recently but he got eaten by the guy who was first in line for him to be loaned too. I believe Paul Becker got one too but idk how that pairing went.
I didn't know Kelly produced T. cyano's at one point..crap where was I... :sorry: Do you recall around when that was?

awiec

Arachnoprince
I didn't know Kelly produced T. cyano's at one point..crap where was I... :sorry: Do you recall around when that was?
I believe it was about 5 or 6 years ago, think he said it was the 100th species he produced.

boina

Lady of the mites
Hogs generally range from 4-6 ft
Is that a subtle way to tell me that I should seriously consider that my XXL Hog is a hybrid? It could very well be, but I'm not planning to breed her anyway :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is that a subtle way to tell me that I should seriously consider that my XXL Hog is a hybrid? It could very well be, but I'm not planning to breed her anyway :)
I could in no accurate manner tell you that. Nor would I be subtle either.

Pmuticus704

Arachnopeon
Expensive/rare in Europe: Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus 2i: 135 Euro
And:
Pamphobeteus sp. solaris 0.1: 600 Euro!!!

Also rare in Europe: Aphonopelma everything, except seemanni. Somehow they don't make it across to Europe. I want an A. moderatum - have been looking for 5 years, never seen one for sale anywhere.
We want them in the US as well

Pmuticus704

Arachnopeon
That makes me so :rage::punch::rage::rage::punch: But I am staunchly anti-hybridization, period. Especially with species that we don't have a lot of pure lineage of to begin with. Such as true dwarf boas.

Anyway, back to tarantulas. From what I've been told: Importing is expensive and risky. You misspell one thing and Fish & Game can just take that entire order and go "sorry, your loss" and the animals are given to a zoo or whatever... point is, you don't get them, and you're out the cost of the Ts, shipping, and import fees (which vary from species to species, yes, you pay PER SPIDER). Not to mention they can only come into authorized ports of entry. You can't have them delivered to your door, you have to pick them up at the port, after the package has been inspected.

This is why people try to brown box them (which is illegal and risky for the animals). They don't want or don't have thousands to spend per order. I've seriously considered getting my import permits, but I've heard too many horror stories of people losing money on it. Fish & Game does NOT screw around with imports of plants and wildlife.

In regards to buying rare Ts, I'm very hesitant to buy anything labeled sp. "_____" if I don't know for sure that it just hasn't been approved through the official channels as a new species. I still see people selling Aphonopelma sp. "whatever" and I'm like... the revision came out last year... I highly doubt there are new species suddenly popping up. That feels very unscrupulous to me and it taints my view of the seller.
That Revision only covers North American species unfortunately. There are a ton of Mexican Aphonopelma that have not be Taxonomically identified so this is why you get the Aphonopelma sp. "whatever" still in the hobby.

Vorax29

Arachnopeon
The 2 I'm searching for and can NOT find for sale are :

*Harpactira sp. Amanzimtoti River
and
*Ornithoctonus andersoni

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I am having a hard time finding a true T.blondi. I have the stirmi and apophysis which is my avatar picture, but finding a blondi is tuff. When I do find one its always a stirmi. One day I will have a blondi until then I will just enjoy the other 2.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
MOD NOTE:

Linking to dealer websites is not allowed. Nor is posting photos that do not belong to you.