1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant about tarantulas' behaviour

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by ohnono, Oct 10, 2018.

1. ohnono

ohnono Arachnopeon

europe
    Advertisement
    Three things:
    1. "Protecting the hobby"? Trying to "protect" something by hiding the (ugly) truth is plain wrong and stupid, period.

2. If somebody chooses a hobby of KEEPING VENOMOUS SUPERFAST ANIMALS and doesn't do his homework to properly inform himself by reading a lot of SERIOUS writings on the topic but rather chooses to "learn" by glancing through a CHAT forum and follow a lead of someone that explicitly states he's a confused beginner, that person is an idiot who has no place in such a hobby in the first place. You got bitten because you hand-fed your S.calceatum because you've read somwhere obout someone who does something like that? Boo hoo, cry me a river.

3. I didn't come here to troll, pick a fight or make people angry, I came here to have fun so I picked a chat forum to... chat :( but as much as I'm sorry if I offended anybody, I'm not sorry we are talking about this subject. It's controversial but necessary to discuss.

A-men! :kiss:

Guys... I started this thread because I just wanted to hear about other crazy Ts :bigtears: so... Anybody here with a crazy T? :angelic::D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster

USA
    Um what? Are you saying she thinks she's an OW tarantula?

It is definitely time, as it has been a while, for me to mention my clinically depressed G. pulchripes. "They eat so well! Great species to keep!" Oh okay, trusted keepers. Oh, fiddlesticks! Mine is depressed and I'm pretty sure it is only getting worse. She hardly ever eats, has NEVER molted in my care (and it has been nearly 2 years now), she hovers in the corner of her enclosure. I swear I hear her crying at night while listening to the Smiths. I recently starting giving my dog Prozac and it seems to help him, so she is definitely next. :troll:

Everyone else seems to do the typical stuff from what I can tell. My E sp reds are always curious, my GBBs are little punks that grow too fast, my Avic is a stubborn fluffball, my P. auratus pretty much molts all the time and seems pissed off, my H. sp Colombia is just a fat pumpkin butt. Then there's my tiny sling, A. ezendami who has an eating disorder and is extremely shy. My Aphonopelmas are very pretty and they like to dig lots of holes and trash their enclosures.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh Arachnosupporter

My Pamphobeteus cf. antinous are not 'good eaters' like the others I had in the past. They don't pounce right on them, they sorta pick the feeder up, put it back down, and then eat it...slowly. My B. kahlenbergi eats it's body weight in food every feeding, the best eater in my collection. Still waiting to see how my Phormictopus individuals turn out. I really miss having Ts, and one of the big reasons being their attitude, I'm hoping they live up to the 'Phormictopus hype' that my past ones did.

4. AnObeseHippo

AnObeseHippo Arachnoknight

Toronto
    My OBT thinks he’s a bird. He refuses to eat unless I regurgitate food for him. He even reaches into my mouth with his little petipalps to take it. I’m his mama bird :)

Obviously joking. I don’t even have an OBT

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh Arachnosupporter

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but how are they evil? I don't find an animal trying to defend itself as evil, in their home range, literally everything is trying to kill them so it's how they adapted. Imo, they're not ugly at all, maybe you haven't seen the serious species. Check out the genus threads in the Picture section. All tarantulas bite, I'd find a Theraphosa, Phormictopus or Pamphobeteus (generally any large NW) to be hell as well.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. OBT's despite their reputation are beautiful, especially the DCF.
    Ornithoctoninae Sp. Mindanao are cute.
    Heteroscodra maculata's carapace pattern is gorgeous.
    There are lots of other beautiful OW's out there, you just need to look without prejudice. The picture section is full of them just as @Phormic28 said.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ohnono

ohnono Arachnopeon

europe
    And now you are just being mean. :( Please don't. I'm pregnant and very emotional, think of the children! :bigtears::hilarious:

That's it, that's just what my A.geniculata does! It's creepy! :woot:

ups, sorry for double posting, I don't know what happened :angelic:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. AnObeseHippo

AnObeseHippo Arachnoknight

Toronto
    You present an even better reason to not hand feed than has been mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Not often there's the chance to see a comment with a nice assortment of 'Smilies' without committing the error to repeat/double those. I didn't read your comment, obviously, but nonetheless I say 'Brava!' :)

10. MintyWood826

MintyWood826 Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    Most people seem to think the opposite :banghead:
    It seems like that on some subjects in TWH...
    The lawmakers who could ban Ts are uneducated invert-wise...doubt they will reverse that anytime soon...

11. ohnono

ohnono Arachnopeon

europe
    I've seen a gazillion pictures and I saw a LOT of species in person including each and every one you guys mentioned here and I'm not gonna change my mind. :D My aesthetic might be bizzare but I can live with it :angelic: and all of you can enjoy your H.macs as much as you want! I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to find anything beautiful, they are just not my cup of tea. Maybe one day I'll find the one I like but so far I didn't :angelic:

Ok, ok. I'll behave. As I already said - I might be crazy (I'm a physicist AND an artist for crying out loud, how could I NOT be? :p) but I'm really not stupid, promis! :woot: And I am not all that stubborn either so... I consider myself convinced so I'll start using my tongs again and I'm not gonna hand-feed my honey anymore :(... but if she dies of malnourishment and exhaustion I'm gonna... be very sad? :bigtears:

12. Torech Ungol

Torech Ungol Arachnosquire Active Member

Clearly, you've never seen a big, floofy ball of a Monocentropus balfouri communal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BelleBeverley

BelleBeverley Arachnopeon

14. Luka98

Luka98 Arachnosquire

khuj
    @ohnono you could have easily said "OW's are cool but i don't think i'm ready for their temper" and avoided this whole debate with venom who obviously knows more than you but you had to write walls of text and ruin a chill thread about tarantulas tarantuling

15. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnodemon Active Member

I'm going to try to put this thread back on the rails.

My P. metallica doesn't like cork bark. She spends 99% of her time hanging out on the walls of her enclosure. I originally had a nice cork tube in her enclosure which she rarely touched, in fact when she wanted to hide she would hang on the wall BEHIND the tube. I started to think there was something wrong with the tube so when I had serious mold outbreak in her enclosure I took the opportunity to replace the tube with two cork slabs along with the substrate. I have seen her on one of the slabs once in about a month and a half. Otherwise she's on the walls. She eats normally and has molted twice since I've had her - all on the walls of her enclosure - so she seems healthy. She just doesn't like cork. I might try Mopani wood in the future.

16. Hardus nameous

Hardus nameous Arachno... just..... no. Arachnosupporter

Kansas
    Actually I always thought pokies had an "evil" look to them too. I think it's the black around their eyes, reminds me of the corpse paint black metal bands wear.

As for odd behaviours, I had a Phormictopus actually kick hairs during a rehousing rather than try to rip off my face and lobotomize me with its fangs. I guess that's why it's my favourite genus, always full of surprises and keeping me on my toes.

17. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

Mine does this too. I feed him meal worms through the holes drilled for ventilation so he doesn't have to get his feet dirty chasing things around.