Ranking Pokies

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
ranking based on most challenging to keep - who’s the easiest, who’s the hardest, where does everyone else fall in between - variables considered: husbandry, temperament, venom, etc.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
They are pretty much the same.IME.Over the years,ive kept most species in the genus.
And all are similar.Other than adult size,not any noticable difference,I have had nervous,calm, and eveything in between.
They are what they are,lol.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
They are pretty much the same.IME.Over the years,ive kept most species in the genus.
And all are similar.Other than adult size,not any noticable difference,I have had nervous,calm, and eveything in between.
They are what they are,lol.
^i was wondering about this is why I started this thread - i think my next T will be Pokie and I’m considering either P. formosa or P. metallica and didn’t know if these would be good “beginner pokies” or if there was a difference or what - some sources seem to suggest that P. formosa was more venomous and challenging than the others

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
t that P. formosa was more venomous and challenging than the others
The venom is the same,or at least, there are no studies to suggest P.formosa has a higher LDS than other Poec.species.
i have P.ornatas calmer than mirandas.I think you can research,and decide.All are equally fast,but not a mythical animal.
All T bites should be avoided.Proper husbsndry solves that issue.
FWIW,i fear my adult male T.blondi more than any pokie i have ever had.

I should add, i have had,and raised formosa,s.No different.or difficult.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve only owned 3 species. Breeders have told me P met tends to be the most chaotic, others easier going

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Think of it this way....we like to say,"housed properly",OBT,s are easy to maintain.Asian fossorials are easy,when housed correctly.
The same applies to all species of pokies.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
Think of it this way....we like to say,"housed properly",OBT,s are easy to maintain.Asian fossorials are easy,when housed correctly.
The same applies to all species of pokies.
building enclosures is half the fun for me and the husbandry will be on point but of course - someone can correct me if i’m wrong but they seem p easy and straight forward if you spot them before opening enclosure, tap/move the enclosure first, make sure they’re in their hide, then do what you gotta do maintenance wise

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
building enclosures is half the fun for me and the husbandry will be on point but of course - someone can correct me if i’m wrong but they seem p easy and straight forward if you spot them before opening enclosure, tap/move the enclosure first, make sure they’re in their hide, then do what you gotta do maintenance wise
They're pretty simple to care for. Just need to be prepared with rehousings.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've only kept subfusca (Highland & Lowland) and metallica.

Out of those metallica is the most skittish/defensive/unpredictable, subfusca "Lowland" is the most laid back.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Currently raising
0.0.2 P. metallica
0.0.2 P. regalis
0.0.2 P. subfusca "lowland"
0.0.1 P. miranda
0.0.1 P. formosa
0.0.1 P. ornata
0.0.1 P. rufilata
0.0.1 P. tigrinawesseli

my calmest is one of the P. metallicas my most skittish, irrational one is the second P. metallica.

Personally i think they are all the same but individuals vary in behavior. Maybe one species is broadly more likely to express certain behavior traits but it could just as well be the individual cage setups and how secure they feel.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
They're all the same to me. While some specimens may be a bit different from one another, I find them all about the same in general.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
thank you all for the replies! was curious not only because i plan to get my first pokie soon but also because i have noticed some distinct behavioral differences within the same genus eg: the behavioral differences within the Pterinochilus genus between Murinus + Lugardi

^didn't know if this would be the case with Poecilotheria

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
thank you all for the replies! was curious not only because i plan to get my first pokie soon but also because i have noticed some distinct behavioral differences within the same genus eg: the behavioral differences within the Pterinochilus genus between Murinus + Lugardi

^didn't know if this would be the case with Poecilotheria
Interesting question, I don't keep pokies so I don't have direct experience here.
how many Murinus and Lugardi have you raised and how long? You might just be noticing individual specimen temperaments within that genus too 🤷‍♂️

Cheers 🍻

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
how many Murinus and Lugardi have you raised and how long?
I raised a P. lugardi from sling to adulthood so several years - i just obtained my P. murinus (UMV) not to long ago so a couple weeks (more about this below) - so far i have noticed that my OBT is more bolty than Lugardi

hard to say for certain so soon and also, for whatever reason, a lot of my specimens seem way more calm and patient than what other keepers report - from this i assume my experiences with several species are atypical

You might just be noticing individual specimen temperaments within that genus too 🤷‍♂️
this is possible however my original statement wasn’t based off personal experience exclusively but moreso the collective experiences of other keepers and generalized reputations (for the aforementioned reasons) - which i realize can be somewhat dubious but still

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I have had 2 P rufilatas and they have both been really mellow. My regalis is an arboreal hole and I will let you know after her next rehouse (last one) how she behaves. Her last move was easier than my C versicolor (as was the rufilata). I rehoused my Vittata last week pretty easy and will probably do my formosa this weekend. In my experience they tend to run and hide so they have been pretty easy to address, or maybe I've just been really lucky. I hear P ornata are the most cranky

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
The temperaments of mine are:
- P. miranda- really calm, almost docile.
- P. metallica- extremely skittish, will bolt on a whim.
- P. regalis- stays hidden almost all of the time, very reclusive with a cantankerous attitude if disturbed.
-P. ornata- still a sling, but so far very skittish and reclusive.