Rank from Most Blue to Least Blue Tarantula

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
N. incei has some greenish tints to it. ;) Purple is covered under blue. So many of those listed here are more purplish-tinged than blue for example :)
Which is why purple is not blue. There are 2 separate words to describe 2 different colors. The next time you call a purple T blue, you might as well as call it any color you want.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Which is why purple is not blue. There are 2 separate words to describe 2 different colors. The next time you call a purple T blue, you might as well as call it any color you want.
Stop being so OCD. If we are to be so strict then NO tarantula is even blue, because there is not a single species that sports a monochromatic blue color down to the last setae.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Stop being so OCD. If we are to be so strict then NO tarantula is even blue, because there is not a single species that sports a monochromatic blue color down to the last setae.
Actually I'm not being OCD. Purple is not blue, if it was, it would have the same name. If your name was Rob, would you want to be called Nancy, esp if there were many people named Nancy around you, that could be confusing.

And as you noticed many Ts you've seen people mention are in fact purple, but maybe you meant blue??? Or maybe you meant blue-green, or green-blue?? :cool:

Now referring to animals that are blue, even though they don't have blue pigment is a matter of convenience. There's nothing wrong with that in a casual conversation, ie not a scientific one.

Yet, there's nothing convenient calling identifying a T by the wrong color...oh, wait, I'm going to get a Mexican Blue Legged...I'll be right back :wacky:

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Actually I'm not being OCD. Purple is not blue, if it was, it would have the same name. If your name was Rob, would you want to be called Nancy, esp if there were many people named Nancy around you, that could be confusing.

And as you noticed many Ts you've seen people mention are in fact purple, but maybe you meant blue??? Or maybe you meant blue-green, or green-blue?? :cool:

Now referring to animals that are blue, even though they don't have blue pigment is a matter of convenience. There's nothing wrong with that in a casual conversation, ie not a scientific one.

Yet, there's nothing convenient calling identifying a T by the wrong color...oh, wait, I'm going to get a Mexican Blue Legged...I'll be right back :wacky:

A matter of convenience? Likewise, me placing purple under blue is a matter of convenience, for me. I dont have the time to make a distinction between blue violet, indigo, sky blue, or purple for example. And we come to this: how about you make a list that is convenient to you, and you alone, because obviously everyone who has contributed here so far doesnt share your views?

And its so funny how you are so adamant not to categorize purple under blue when you approve of the picture Tom attached where some of the Ts are actually purple. Do you know what people call that sort of attitude? Please stop arguing how others should view things. Its only a matter of convenience.Thank you.

Edit: And nevermind about your own blue list - you dont have one. You said so yourself.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A matter of convenience? Likewise, me placing purple under blue is a matter of convenience, for me. I dont have the time to make a distinction between blue violet, indigo, sky blue, or purple for example. And we come to this: how about you make a list that is convenient to you, and you alone, because obviously everyone who has contributed here so far doesnt share your views?

And its so funny how you are so adamant not to categorize purple under blue when you approve of the picture Tom attached where some of the Ts are actually purple. Do you know what people call that sort of attitude? Please stop arguing how others should view things. Its only a matter of convenience.Thank you.

Edit: And nevermind about your own blue list - you dont have one. You said so yourself.

I've seen Tom's pic quite a while ago. And back then it was in reference to blue Ts.

I didn't see Tom saying it was reference to purple Ts hah

And the images, I only see Ts with blue. Even the Lv has blue in that particular image.

Now if I'm Tom said it's a pic of all his purple Ts, I'd tell him he'd need his eyes checked.

Blue is not purple. If it they would look the same.

I'm not arguing how people should view things. I'm merely pointing out that blue is not purple, that's a fact. It's not rocket science.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we are not entitled to our own facts.

Last edited:

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I've seen Tom's pic quite a while ago. And back then it was in reference to blue Ts.

I didn't see Tom saying it was reference to purple Ts hah

And the images, I only see Ts with blue. Even the Lv has blue in that particular image.

Now if I'm Tom said it's a pic of all his purple Ts, I'd tell him he'd need his eyes checked.

Blue is not purple. If it they would look the same.

Sure.

Anywayyyyyyy, anyone else has blue/purple to add? Thanks!

ryan w

Arachnopeon
Hmm, not really... o_O But then I don't think I've seen them greener, which strikes me as odd, now that I think about it. Other arthropods, including other spiders, can be very green. I wonder why no tarantulas really are? Nor are there any white tarantulas, but then given their habitat, I wouldn't expect there to be any.

I would separate them; some tarantulas are clearly blue, some are clearly purple, some may be both and some may fall in between and those latter could be on both lists. ;)

Based on the photos, I'd say, yes, remove A. aurantiaca. It doesn't appear blue at all, rather antique gold or something along those lines.

I'd have to agree that Avicularia/Caribena versicolor is the most blue. Pseudhapalopus sp. "blue" should also be high up there, maybe second, but I'm not familiar with every other species that's been listed. Tarantulas that are other colors besides blue, have only blue legs, etc. should be further down the list than ones that are all blue in my opinion. And as long as we're including T's that aren't completely blue, Idiothele mira has lovely feet! ;)
Good addition, I've been reading through this super thread and wondered if i.mira would get a mention. Plus you only ever get to see the blue bits sticking out of the trap door!!

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Good addition, I've been reading through this super thread and wondered if i.mira would get a mention. Plus you only ever get to see the blue bits sticking out of the trap door!!
I've chanced upon more Blue Ts not on the list. Cant remember their names, but are mostly Old World species. I will list them when I remember their names.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
* Pterinopelma sazimai - blue color somewhat "subdued" under natural lighting
* Coremiocnemis brachyramosa
* Poecilotheria metallica
* Thrixopelma cyaneolum "blue"
* Thrixopelma lagunas
* Haplopema lividum
* Oligoxystre diamantinensis
* Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - bright "powdery blue" under natural light
* Lampropelma violaceopes
* Cyriopagopus sp. "hati-hati" - Not blue @cold blood
* Orphnaecus sp "blue Panay" - Not blue @cold blood
* Pseudhapalopus sp. "blue"
* Chilobrachys sp "Vietnam blue"
* Tapinauchenius violaceus
* Tapinauchenius cupreus
* Tapinauchenius sanctivincenti (from @boina )
* Aphonopelma moorei
* Phormictopus sp purple
* Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus
* Holothele sericea (from @sdsnybny )
People with blue tarantulas (here I mean blue as adults regardless of what they were as slings) — which species are most visible? I’ve been wanting to get a T with blue (preferably either all blue or blue with black/gray/neutral) but have the impression that many of the species tend to be “pet holes”. In your experience, which of the following are out to be seen and admired on a regular basis? Or are there other species that you would recommend?

Chilobrachys sp. “Vietnam blue”
Euathlus sp. “blue femur”
Haplopelma lividum (or whatever name they’re going by these days)
Moncentropus balfouri
Poecilotheria metallica
Pseudhapalopus
sp. “blue”
Pterinopelma sazmai

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Dont know if you have these in the list already but there is,
1: Ischnocolinae sp dominican republic
2: Aviculaira geroldi
3: Selenocosinae sp biru (brown, but has super intese blue legs)
4: Chilobrachys sp. electric blue (mostly black, but has the most intense blue on the legs)

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd say Cyriopagopus sp Hati Haiti was blue. Not bright blue but definitely blue.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
I didnt realize they where so dark! all the pictures Ive seen of them they where a blue or bluish-purple

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I'm gonna add Phlogius PQ113 into this mix. Sometimes you luck out and get a light grey spider with blue legs and other times you get a velvety brown spider with black legs

Cas S

Arachnoknight
I'm gonna add Phlogius PQ113 into this mix. Sometimes you luck out and get a light grey spider with blue legs and other times you get a velvety brown spider with black legs
do you have one? if you do, can you add a picture. The only pictures ive found of them are a couple from NETBUG

Cas S

Arachnoknight
If the blue toes on I. mira counts, then H. pulchripes should get recodnized lol