Raising Jumping Spider Babies

watertiger21

Arachnopeon
I cannot find any past threads with any helpful information, so time to ask you all! :)

I've successfully bred several P. audax females. My next step is to actually raise the slings. Has anyone found any methods they particularly like for raising itsy bitsy teeny weeny jumpers?
What types of containers do you use or how do you provide escape-proof ventilation? Do super young babies scavenge feed (like young T's and widows do) or must they receive live prey from the very beginning?

I feel confident that I'll be able to figure it all out, but a little insight would be much appreciated! :)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just had this horrible 03:30 visualization involving itty bitty tiny spiders and diapers. From what I've seen of them, think picking up blobs of mercury with a pair of pliers. Very fast moving jumping blobs. They will be looking at each other for snacks pretty quick. Best bet is to let most of them go in the garden. Ideally, near a fruit and veggie compost pile.

Gala BK

Arachnopeon
Another possible solution, though sometimes not a very popular one, is to allow them to eat each other to a point. Once you get a more manageable amount they'll be grown in a bit more and finding other prey options will be a tad easier. What's really the difference between feeding a spider and a cricket anyways? Though if you don't like that idea, it's understandable. Just a suggestion lol

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Flightless fruitflies. Phidippus will take down enormous prey relative to their size, thanks to their fast-acting venom.

If you want escape-proof ventilation, use panty-hose. You can discourage them from making their retreat on the lid by providing a hide. they will actually prefer this. A dead rolled-up leaf will suffice.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Flightless fruitflies. Phidippus will take down enormous prey relative to their size, thanks to their fast-acting venom.
Had a private snerk snerk a couple of days ago. What I think was a Phidippus jumping on the back of a fly 2 to 3 times it's size and the fly actually managing to get airborne with it's unwanted cargo. The spider wasn't about to let go so off they flew.