Raising B. Lats

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I've got a small colony for our Ts in a glass tank with a heater and some egg crate but I'm always looking for the better mousetrap, so to speak

Show me your roach hotels and share your successes, please.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I use a giant sterlite container with egg crates and dog food/water crystals. I don't have a picture of my colony with h, but I do have a picture of them of me doing maintenance and cleaning them out.
B lateralis.JPG

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the reply and pic @Liquifin
Do you use dry dog food? I have been using fruit/rinds but need to swap it daily especially in hot weather.
Also, the sterlite container, approx size? Is it hard plastic or soft? I was thinking about changing from glass to a large hard-plastic critter keeper type box

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Thanks for the reply and pic @Liquifin
Do you use dry dog food? I have been using fruit/rinds but need to swap it daily especially in hot weather.
Also, the sterlite container, approx size? Is it hard plastic or soft? I was thinking about changing from glass to a large hard-plastic critter keeper type box
I always have dry dog food and water crystals in my roach colony. Reasoning for sterlite container is because there cheap and affordable and they can't climb it one bit because it is smooth plastic. The size I normally use is 120 qt I believe, when I get home I'll check. But everytime I do maintenance I move them to a very large bin to clean out the home. If you are starting a colony, I would keep them in a smaller home, so they can find each other and breed much easier. Then when the colony is larger, move them into large bin. Which they will then just produce like CRAZY!! I started with around 50, now I have thousands. I sometimes sell them away to save some money. Fruits and vegetables is necessary to maintain nutrients for your feeders. I offer my colony oranges one every now and then (approx. 2-6 weeks). Warmer temperatures is a big key in reproduction and breeding. Higher temps equals more breeding. Note of advice for breeding, for every three females there should be one male (3:1). That way males don't fight over females.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I always have dry dog food and water crystals in my roach colony. Reasoning for sterlite container is because there cheap and affordable and they can't climb it one bit because it is smooth plastic. The size I normally use is 120 qt I believe, when I get home I'll check. But everytime I do maintenance I move them to a very large bin to clean out the home. If you are starting a colony, I would keep them in a smaller home, so they can find each other and breed much easier. Then when the colony is larger, move them into large bin. Which they will then just produce like CRAZY!! I started with around 50, now I have thousands. I sometimes sell them away to save some money. Fruits and vegetables is necessary to maintain nutrients for your feeders. I offer my colony oranges one every now and then (approx. 2-6 weeks). Warmer temperatures is a big key in reproduction and breeding. Higher temps equals more breeding. Note of advice for breeding, for every three females there should be one male (3:1). That way males don't fight over females.
Great info, thanks!
I will upgrade the size of my container (now in a 1gal glass tank) and switch to dog food
I have often thought about culling males and rarely feed them to my T since the females look so much more plump and juicy LOL

What do you think about gut loading feeders for a day before feeding to the Ts?
Meaning, keep the lats on on waterbites and dogfood but before feeding (I only feed once a week) harvest a few feeders into a separate tank and give them fresh fruits and high quality proteins

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Great info, thanks!
I will upgrade the size of my container (now in a 1gal glass tank) and switch to dog food
I have often thought about culling males and rarely feed them to my T since the females look so much more plump and juicy LOL

Meaning, keep the lats on on waterbites and dogfood but before feeding (I only feed once a week) harvest a few feeders into a separate tank and give them fresh fruits and high quality proteins
Doesn't seem to bad a idea, but why not give high proteins to all your feeders instead of separating them. If its a budget issue its understandable, but if not, whats the harm?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
There's no reason to think that such nutrients will benefit tarantulas in the same way that they *may* benefit geckoes and bearded dragons, which hobbies are where the idea of "gut loading" comes from. :)

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Doesn't seem to bad a idea, but why not give high proteins to all your feeders instead of separating them. If its a budget issue its understandable, but if not, whats the harm?
I was doing that with colony 1.0 but they stopped feeding on it. I was using Repashey gel which my fish and shrimp love but the roaches burnt out on it.

I put a piece of broiled salmon in there last night (plain, no seasonings) and this morning it was 100% gone LOL

There's no reason to think that such nutrients will benefit tarantulas in the same way that they *may* benefit geckoes and bearded dragons, which hobbies are where the idea of "gut loading" comes from. :)
True, but there's no reason to think it won't *slow wink*

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Picked this large, smooth-sided container at The Container Store for $10
Gonna cut the lid and add some screening then transfer my Lat colony

Attachments

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
I am following this guy's example, seems pretty solid. I am going to go with B Dubia.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I am following this guy's example, seems pretty solid. I am going to go with B Dubia.
I've been watching some of Alex from Tarantula Haven's youtube videos, I wonder if I should opt for a darker plastic container like he suggests over clear

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
Assuming B lats don't like light, might want to consider keeping it in the closet or doing something like that.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Assuming B lats don't like light, might want to consider keeping it in the closet or doing something like that.
Agreed

I picked up a tall, clear, latching Sterilite container at Home Depot for $7 and a can of $1 black spray paint and shot it black on the outside Lol. I also drilled the lid and installed screen cloth with hot glue like the youtube video above.

Will post pics soon and then transfer my colony. Just need to figure out how I'm gonna arrange the food stuffs and egg crate for easy cleanup

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
Sounds good. Nice improvising. I'm all about creative (cheap) solutions. :) Just curious, why did you choose B. Lats over some of the other species. I chose B. Dubia just based on the fact that they seemed to be well accepted as a good option from some of the other members but didn't do a lot of extensive research by any stretch of the imagination. What are the advantages of B. Lats?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Sounds good. Nice improvising. I'm all about creative (cheap) solutions. :) Just curious, why did you choose B. Lats over some of the other species. I chose B. Dubia just based on the fact that they seemed to be well accepted as a good option from some of the other members but didn't do a lot of extensive research by any stretch of the imagination. What are the advantages of B. Lats?
I have both lateralis and dubias. The advantages for lateralis is that they produce faster than dubias by a long shot IME. They also don't play dead or bury themselves like dubias. Instead they run around the enclosure and it really helps attract the T. to go for the attack. The only down side is that if they escape, it could possibly be an infestation in your home.

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
I have both lateralis and dubias. The advantages for lateralis is that they produce faster than dubias by a long shot IME. They also don't play dead or bury themselves like dubias. Instead they run around the enclosure and it really helps attract the T. to go for the attack. The only down side is that if they escape, it could possibly be an infestation in your home.
I see. Thank you. Guess I will stick to B. Dubia for now. I would hate for my wife to kill me.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I see. Thank you. Guess I will stick to B. Dubia for now. I would hate for my wife to kill me.
The husbandry needs and risk of escape is similar between both species, plus lateralis have less chitin which is desirable for Ts. The behavioral advantages that @Liquifin stated outweigh the escape risk for me, and you can negate the escape risk further by housing your colony in an out building or similar with a heating pad under the container.

In the almost 3 years I've been raising lats I've never had an escape that turned into an infestation. I lost a nymph once, no big deal as immature they can't reproduce on their own, and a mature female got away from me a few months ago but I managed her (smushed her) quickly.

I don't have first hand experience with dubia, but I can vouch for lats being clean and odor-free if you manage their housing, which they actually prefer over a fouled environment. They are efficient and prolific breeders and their behaviour is very predictable - if you want them to breed more, turn up the heat and humidity, which also means manage food and waste more often. I keep them about 10 degrees above room temp and have more than enough, hence needing larger quarters Lol

ps. we just added a leopard gecko to the menagerie so now we have more mouths to feed, and more often (leos eat 10x more than tarantulas)

Good luck, @Mpmackenna

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
Interesting. I may have to give B. Lats a try and compare for myself. I have three Leos so I can sympathize with the need for feeders with Leos around. I can say for certain that I am tired of paying the pet store 8$ for a 50 count of superworms and also that crickets are a PITA.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Interesting. I may have to give B. Lats a try and compare for myself. I have three Leos so I can sympathize with the need for feeders with Leos around. I can say for certain that I am tired of paying the pet store 8$ for a 50 count of superworms and also that crickets are a PITA.
You can get 1000 mealworms via various sellers on Amazon for around $17 delivered, but yes, hate crickets