Raising ambient temps

Pahri

Arachnopeon
Okay so I wasn't sure if I should write this here or in Not So Spineless Wonders, so sorry if this is in the wrong place. So I've had my ball python for about a year and a half, and I've constantly struggled to keep the ambient temp up. I use flexwatt heat tape, but it only heats that part of the enclosure. The other half stays in the mid to low 70's. I've been using a bulb during the day which raises it up to about 80, but that's still kind of low, and it makes the warm side too hot. She's in a 4x2 pvc enclosure. Any suggestions?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If you can stand the ugly, cover the non viewing walls of the enclosure, and the top, with a layer of 1/2 inch thick Styrofoam sheet. Figure for each of the six surfaces thus insulated will result an average of 10% to 15% additional heat retention. Somewhere along the line as you experiment the heat generated by the heater will be greater than the heat loss from the heat leaks. If you add a thermal battery, say a chunk of concrete or other high density low thermal conductivity material, the fluctuations between heater on and off will be greatly reduced.

For example, the average 16 cu ft home refrigerator cycles on and off 18 to 22 times a day, door kept closed, for a total of about 4 hours running time. Covering all 4 sides and top and bottom of the interior chamber with 1 inch of styrofoam then filling the interior with a block of concrete then allowing it to stabilize for about a week will result in the cycling being reduced to 2 to 4 times every 24 hours with a running time of about 45 to 90 minutes total.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get a Radiant Heat Panel.

Personally I've raised this species in temps only 72-75 low end, and about 80-82 on the high end. Ambient air is about 80. Never had a developmental issue.