Quick word about caulk

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I just came across this article and thought Id share this tidbit of info :) (googled "DIY Glass Aquarium")

Silicone - There is much controversy out there regarding the type of silicone to use. Most websites say to ONLY use "aquarium silicone sealant." What a lot of people don't know is that "aquarium sealant" is exactly the same as regular household silicone - without the anti-mildew chemicals added to it, and silicone marketed for aquarium use is a lot more expensive. Anti-mildew chemicals slowly release toxins over time. These are toxic to fresh and salt water fish, and it's most likely not good for our reptiles either. There are a few brands of silicone that do not include the anti-mildew chemicals. They are: GE Door & Window clear silicone (which I chose to use because I could find it at Lowes), Dow-Corning "DAP", and NAPA All-Glass 100% clear silicone (yes the auto parts store, and its part # 765-1336).Just make sure that whatever silicone you decide to use - read the label. Make sure it doesn't say that it prevents mold and mildew. And don't be alarmed if there is a disclaimer on the tube that says its not for aquarium use. They have to say that so they won't be held liable if your aquarium breaks or doesn't seal properly. And it will make your job so much easier if you get the kind of tube that you can put in a caulking gun.
source: http://beautifuldragons.com/Aquarium.html

axle37

Arachnosquire
thanks for sharing. this was so useful. wish i would have known two weeks ago but it is still great info.